Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Consumer Reports Bull **** Reports

I read consumer reports as I always do before a purchase, and years
ago I bought a John Deere snowblower as it rated second, but its been
crap clogging on wet snow, [ Hey its chicago, its all heavy] . But I
read them again a few years ago in 07 and bought a Toro Recycler for
about 400, it rated real high and its always clogged up even when no
rain for 3 days, [ thats real live use] so it sucked big time, Ive
used sprays just to partially not to clog, it felt loose-cheap in the
handle and had a bearing knock loaded down. This made cutting grass
in damp grass dangerous for the motor as it would bog to all most
stall speed and make a dreading clump, clump, clump noise. So I
borrow a 390$ Honda dual blade from a neighbor and it cut what killed
and bogged down severly to near stall speed of the toro, with no
effort, mulching !!!!. So I bought a Honda 390$ machine and its the
best mower Ive ever had. Even the handle is solid !

I have to say **** You Consumer Reports for your BS ratings. You
guys are cons, for money, for maybe payoffs. Or you are idiots. Yea
and I have an I phone you still wont recomend, I have it with with no
issues, and by the way, its the best selling phone made. CR SUCKS
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 7:16*pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

I gave up on CR years ago when they were pushing those crappy Dodge
vans as the best. I don't trust 'em.

-C-
Posted to alt.home.repair

I totally agree. We bought a front load washing machine which was a CR
"best buy" or something like that. The machine broke after not that
many years of ownership. When I googled the make and model to see
what the repair might be like, I found TONS of angry comments from
others who relied on CR only to make a junk washing machine purchase.
We bought it when the kids were smaller and we were always washing
spit up / poopy clothes etc. We thought we'd save on hot water usage,
but we're back to using a top loader now.

after that experience i resigned myself to never use CR again and just
buy a cheap (not the absolute cheapest tho) appliance and plan on
replacing it in a few years. If it lasts longer than expected, even
better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
[...]

I was on the fence about my last pair of tires, but a CR report rated them
as having a very good wet traction rating, which was the deciding factor for
me. I originally looked at the tires because they were the least expensive,
and the same company as the snowtires I bought (Hankook).

I bought the tires, and sure enough, they grip the wet road like a whore on
a $50 bill, so in my particular case, the CR report was spot on.

I am not a member of CR, nor do I subscribe to their magazine; I only saw
the report because someone posted it on the internet.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 8:41*pm, spam disintegrator
wrote:
I totally agree. We bought a front load washing machine which was a CR
"best buy" or something like that. *The machine broke after not that
many years of ownership. *When I googled the make and model to see
what the repair might be like, I found TONS of angry comments from
others who relied on CR only to make a junk washing machine purchase.
We bought it when the kids were smaller and we were always washing
spit up / poopy clothes etc. *We thought we'd save on hot water usage,
but we're back to using a top loader now.

after that experience i resigned myself to never use CR again and just
buy a cheap (not the absolute cheapest tho) appliance and plan on
replacing it in a few years. *If it lasts longer than expected, even
better.

And lets give Motor Trend a round of applause too. Their judgment
lapses started when the chose the 1973 Chevrolet Vega and their Car of
the Year!!!

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote
So I
borrow a 390$ Honda dual blade from a neighbor and it cut what killed
and bogged down severly to near stall speed of the toro, with no
effort, mulching !!!!. So I bought a Honda 390$ machine and its the
best mower Ive ever had. Even the handle is solid !

Sounds like the same model I bought. I like it so far and it has done a
very good job.

I stopped reading CR year ago. Things on a product I thought were a good
feature, they though was a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"ransley" wrote
So I
borrow a 390$ Honda dual blade from a neighbor and it cut what killed
and bogged down severly to near stall speed of the toro, with no
effort, mulching !!!!. So I bought a Honda 390$ machine and its the
best mower Ive ever had. Even the handle is solid !

Sounds like the same model I bought. I like it so far and it has done a
very good job.

I stopped reading CR year ago. Things on a product I thought were a good
feature, they though was a problem.

I stopped reading them about when I bought my first camera and they
recommended the Miranda Sensomat over the Nikon I *should* have bought.
Miranda went out of business shortly after their rave review and the camera
soon followed, with no way to repair it.

Yes, they do some good in ID'ing truly crappy and dangerous products, but
the problem I found is that there "experts" were often not experts in the
field, like photography and my Miranda showed. That lack of expertise
translates into not knowing critical things like buying a Nikon would have
meant I would likely have been able to get it fixed when it failed. The
Nikon had about a billion (hyperbole alert!) accessories and relatively high
resale value, all of which a pro photographer would have known but that a
professional "tester" might and did miss.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 17:16:09 -0700, ransley wrote:

[...]

Private enterprise don't need no regulation, ask any Republican.