Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot to cut off wall-to-wall carpet

We have a wall-to-wall carpet that runs in the hall and one bedroom
We want to keep the bedroom carpeted, but take up the hallway portion.

Never having done this:
How and where do I make the cutoff ?
How and where do I cover the transition point from floor to carpet ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 09:11:17 -0500, "Atila Iskander"
wrote:

We have a wall-to-wall carpet that runs in the hall and one bedroom
We want to keep the bedroom carpeted, but take up the hallway portion.

Never having done this:
How and where do I make the cutoff ?
How and where do I cover the transition point from floor to carpet ?

Split the difference under the bottom edge of the door. Ideally you
will not see the BR carpet from the hall or the transition piece from
the BR.

Like:

http://www.laminate-flooring-installed.com/images/2010_03260116Carpet_finish_Tap_nails_with_hammer_B IG.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have a wall-to-wall carpet that runs in the hall and one bedroom
We want to keep the bedroom carpeted, but take up the hallway portion.

Never having done this:
How and where do I make the cutoff ?
How and where do I cover the transition point from floor to carpet ?

Split the difference under the bottom edge of the door. Ideally you
will not see the BR carpet from the hall or the transition piece from
the BR.

Like:

http://www.laminate-flooring-installed.com/images/2010_03260116Carpet_finish_Tap_nails_with_hammer_B IG.jpg

there's probably a seam there already. the room piece and hall piece are
attached using carpet tape of some sort. cut there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have a wall-to-wall carpet that runs in the hall and one bedroom
We want to keep the bedroom carpeted, but take up the hallway
portion. Never having done this:
How and where do I make the cutoff ?
How and where do I cover the transition point from floor to
carpet ?

Split the difference under the bottom edge of the door. Ideally you
will not see the BR carpet from the hall or the transition piece from
the BR.

Like:

http://www.laminate-flooring-installed.com/images/2010_03260116Carpet_finish_Tap_nails_with_hammer_B IG.jpg

there's probably a seam there already. the room piece and hall piece
are attached using carpet tape of some sort. cut there.

Then cover the cut with a threshold piece to keep it from lifting or
fraying.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? .Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:

[...]

The OP may not need to cover the edge with a visible strip.

There are a couple of products that can be used to secure the end of a
carpet without a visible transition strip.

One of them is Safe-T-Strip:

http://www.safetstrip.com/home

And then there's the style described here, that I was not able to find
a link to:

http://www.pro-handyman.com/Pro-Hand...-Tile-Flooring

Finally, there is this method, stolen without permission from:

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/interio...ion-69992.html

*** Begin Stolen Text ***

Okay,

It looks like I am going to recommend something carpet guys will
wonder how you did this . I am coming from a completely different high
end construction world, so do not tell anyone about what I am going to
say.

First up, if you can roll the carpet back to itself, without creating
a huge bullnose edge, then this one's for you. You mentioned having a
pad underneath, and it is needed.
1. Start the carpet edge that faces the tile by putting it upside down
and tacking the carpet to the slab floor. Make sure this edge is wide
enough to use vinyl flooring metal trim strips to be tacked using tack
strip nails that are long enough to go through the strip and carpet
into the concrete. (space nails every 3" minimum.)
2. Then fold the carpet back over the hidden tack strip and lay it
down onto the carpet padding that is butted up to but not over the new
metal trim tackstrip.(the strip may need predrilled nail holes so the
strip does not deform.)
3. Then stretch your carpet into the room as normally is done. You now
have a hidden tuck and roll that will stay level along the edge of the
tile flooring. It will be elevated to the same height of the padded
carpet.

If the new carpet cannot be done this way, then using those vinyl
flooring strips will need to be on top of the carpet and that looks
amateur.

Hope this makes sense, nmwirez

*** End Stolen Text ***

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 10:11*am, "Atila Iskander" wrote:
We have a wall-to-wall carpet that runs in the hall and one bedroom
We want to keep the bedroom carpeted, but take up the hallway portion.

Never having done this:
* * How and where do I make the cutoff ?
* * How and where do I cover the transition point from floor to carpet ?

I would let the floor refinishing contractor you will no doubt
hire to make the floor currently under the wall to wall
carpeting pretty once again worry about the transition...

Is your home old enough to have hardwood floors under the wall to wall
carpeting or are you ready for a big surprise to find only plywood
under
neath the carpet and padding after you have it removed ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have a wall-to-wall carpet that runs in the hall and one bedroom
We want to keep the bedroom carpeted, but take up the hallway portion.

Never having done this:
How and where do I make the cutoff ?
How and where do I cover the transition point from floor to carpet ?

Split the difference under the bottom edge of the door. Ideally you
will not see the BR carpet from the hall or the transition piece from
the BR.

Like:

http://www.laminate-flooring-installed.com/images/2010_03260116Carpet_finish_Tap_nails_with_hammer_B IG.jpg

there's probably a seam there already. the room piece and hall piece are
attached using carpet tape of some sort. cut there.

Good point. Forgot about the present seam....

OP cut the carpet 'long' on the hall side (past the BR door jam. Then
you can fold the carpet back and see the carpet tape.

When you get ready to cut, use a new / sharp utility blade. Use a
piece of wood under the cut and a straight edge (24" level) and get a
clean cut. The wood will prevent cutting into the carpet, causing
damage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:

[...]

damage.- Hide quoted text -

But who's to say that the seam is directly under the center of the
door where the carpet should end once cut?

The OP wanted to know the correct place to cut it for the finished
product and we have no way of knowing if the original installers went
through the trouble to center the taped seam in the door way.

Cutting the carpet at the seam might be the easiest place to cut it,
but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the correct place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:

[...]

Agreed. The reason I suggested cutting it "long" on the hall side.
Folding the carpet back will show the seaming tape. OP can decide
from there where to cut, so a cut will fall under the door center and
not seen from the hall or bedroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/8/2012 7:11 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:
We have a wall-to-wall carpet that runs in the hall and one bedroom
We want to keep the bedroom carpeted, but take up the hallway portion.

Never having done this:
How and where do I make the cutoff ?
How and where do I cover the transition point from floor to carpet ?

The takeaway from this thread is...
Go down to the carpet store and ask the question.
Take samples of the carpet and the flooring you're gonna
put in place of the carpet.
Buy the transition strip BEFORE you cut the carpet.

I'd worry about stuff like the safe-T-strip. I'd bet you can make
it work very well by the 10th time you install one.
First time, not so much...