Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Hot to cut off wall-to-wall carpet

On Jun 8, 3:36*pm, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 07:54:52 -0700, chaniarts

wrote:
On 6/8/2012 7:31 AM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 09:11:17 -0500, "Atila Iskander"
*wrote:

We have a wall-to-wall carpet that runs in the hall and one bedroom
We want to keep the bedroom carpeted, but take up the hallway portion..

Never having done this:
* * How and where do I make the cutoff ?
* * How and where do I cover the transition point from floor to carpet ?

Split the difference under the bottom edge of the door. *Ideally you
will not see the BR carpet from the hall or the transition piece from
the BR.

Like:

http://www.laminate-flooring-installed.com/images/2010_03260116Carpet....

there's probably a seam there already. the room piece and hall piece are
attached using carpet tape of some sort. cut there.

Good point. *Forgot about the present seam....

OP cut the carpet 'long' on the hall side (past the BR door jam. *Then
you can fold the carpet back and see the carpet tape.

When you get ready to cut, use a new / sharp utility blade. *Use a
piece of wood under the cut and a straight edge (24" level) and get a
clean cut. *The wood will prevent cutting into the carpet, causing
damage.- Hide quoted text -

But who's to say that the seam is directly under the center of the
door where the carpet should end once cut?

The OP wanted to know the correct place to cut it for the finished
product and we have no way of knowing if the original installers went
through the trouble to center the taped seam in the door way.

Cutting the carpet at the seam might be the easiest place to cut it,
but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the correct place.