Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Math profs driver's-side mirror: no blind spot

"A side-by-side comparison of a standard flat driver's side mirror with the
mirror designed by Dr. R. Andrew Hicks, mathematics professor at Drexel
University. With minimal distortion, Hicks's mirror shows a much wider field
of view. Hicks's mirror has a field of view of about 45 degrees, compared to
15 to 17 degrees of view in a flat mirror."

Math: Is there anything it can't do?

http://phys.org/news/2012-06-math-pr...or-patent.html

Of course it is illegal for the mirror to be installed by a car
manufacturer.

I blame the mirror lobby.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/8/2012 8:43 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Of course it is illegal for the mirror to be installed by a car
manufacturer.

I blame the mirror lobby.

Nonsense...it's in the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Admin)
regulations owing to the classic distortion problem--at one time the
wide-angle mirrors that are now permissible/used on the right-hand side
of passenger vehicles (w/ the mandatory annotation as noted in the
article) were allowed but it was discovered that the depth compression
they caused was causing many to underestimate the distance to a
car/object and so they were limited to the non-driver's side and the
warning required. I don't recall just when and didn't look it up but it
would likely have been in the 60s or so if my memory is roughly
remember that had the wide-angle mirror on both sides.

At some point, NHTSA will evaluate the new technology and likely approve
a set of standards for apparent distortion and update the requirements
if it seems to really be workable solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 6:43*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
"A side-by-side comparison of a standard flat driver's side mirror with the
mirror designed by Dr. R. Andrew Hicks, mathematics professor at Drexel
University. With minimal distortion, Hicks's mirror shows a much wider field
of view. Hicks's mirror has a field of view of about 45 degrees, compared to
15 to 17 degrees of view in a flat mirror."

Math: Is there anything it can't do?

http://phys.org/news/2012-06-math-pr...or-patent.html

Of course it is illegal for the mirror to be installed by a car
manufacturer.

I blame the mirror lobby.

I blame some numb nuts for getting that same system standard on the
right side mirror. One CANNOT judge how far back a vehicle is in
those abortions of mirrors. The Europeans have had a far better
system for years. Standard flat mirror with a "wide view" portion on
the outer third.

When I look in a mirror I want to know WHERE a vehicle is, not that
one is there somewhere.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Harry K wrote in
:

On Jun 8, 6:43*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Have to second the compliments of the European mirrors. The outer third
of the driver's side mirror is a wide angle mirror, so you have the best
of both worlds. Takes minutes to get used to, if you're a slow learner.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 1:13*pm, Han wrote:
Harry K wrote :

On Jun 8, 6:43 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

email address is invalid- Hide quoted text -

Slap one of these on your US based car and you'll feel like you're in
Europe. Just stay on the right side of the street. ;-)

http://www.greatsku.com/wholesale/3r...mm-silver.html

Driveway road mirror (request ideas for a cheap workable mirror) Chuck Banshee Home Repair 77 October 26th 17 10:14 PM
Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Ignoramus11295 Metalworking 74 August 13th 11 04:37 AM
Blind Spot Mirrors Phil Kyle UK diy 0 October 17th 06 02:53 PM
OT--National driver's license photograph database Cliff Metalworking 2 October 28th 05 11:37 AM
Important question about primary insurance and driver's license residence. QWERTY Home Ownership 3 September 27th 04 07:55 PM