Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default Driveway road mirror (request ideas for a cheap workable mirror)

My driveway angles at a sharp angle to an infrequently used road such
that I almost never have to even look to see if there's traffic (because
there's only traffic about once a month at the time I'm entering the
road).

Still, that's not a safety margin so I have to stop all the time (of
course).

One thing a friend suggested is making a reflective roadside mirror out
of 'something'.

Have you guys any ideas to bump me to the next stage on this idea of
adding a mirror at the end of my driveway to see traffic (and, I guess,
for the traffic to see me)?
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 04:25:11 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

My driveway angles at a sharp angle to an infrequently used road such
that I almost never have to even look to see if there's traffic (because
there's only traffic about once a month at the time I'm entering the
road).

Still, that's not a safety margin so I have to stop all the time (of
course).

One thing a friend suggested is making a reflective roadside mirror out
of 'something'.

Have you guys any ideas to bump me to the next stage on this idea of
adding a mirror at the end of my driveway to see traffic (and, I guess,
for the traffic to see me)?

It all seems like a bad idea to me.
Just keep doing what you've been doing.

--Vic

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2012 10:25 PM, Chuck Banshee wrote:
My driveway angles at a sharp angle to an infrequently used road such
that I almost never have to even look to see if there's traffic (because
there's only traffic about once a month at the time I'm entering the
road).

Still, that's not a safety margin so I have to stop all the time (of
course).

One thing a friend suggested is making a reflective roadside mirror out
of 'something'.

Have you guys any ideas to bump me to the next stage on this idea of
adding a mirror at the end of my driveway to see traffic (and, I guess,
for the traffic to see me)?

you can buy an "acrylic" mirror in about any size you want. I worked at
a spa factory and we hung one over the vacuum forming process so
customers could watch their shell being "pulled". It was 4'x8'. Check
with your local plexiglas/lexan dealer. you could probably even bend it
convex for a wider angle view.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23752

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 11:25*pm, Chuck Banshee wrote:
My driveway angles at a sharp angle to an infrequently used road such
that I almost never have to even look to see if there's traffic (because
there's only traffic about once a month at the time I'm entering the
road).

Still, that's not a safety margin so I have to stop all the time (of
course).

One thing a friend suggested is making a reflective roadside mirror out
of 'something'.

Have you guys any ideas to bump me to the next stage on this idea of
adding a mirror at the end of my driveway to see traffic (and, I guess,
for the traffic to see me)?

If you pull your car in the driveway backwards off the road upon
approach when you can see all the traffic, then when you are pulling
out you can look both ways easily...

Those mirror things don't work out the best... It is better in the
long
term to remove any obstacles in the name of safety than it is to try
and look around them...

~~ Evan

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Chuck Banshee wrote:
My driveway angles at a sharp angle to an infrequently used road such
that I almost never have to even look to see if there's traffic (because
there's only traffic about once a month at the time I'm entering the
road).

Still, that's not a safety margin so I have to stop all the time (of
course).

One thing a friend suggested is making a reflective roadside mirror out
of 'something'.

Have you guys any ideas to bump me to the next stage on this idea of
adding a mirror at the end of my driveway to see traffic (and, I guess,
for the traffic to see me)?

Back into your driveway.
For a mirror you can usually buy the big convex ones reasonable from
outfits that sell security products or warehouse equipment.
Just mount it across from the driveway up so lights don't hit it and
plows can't wipe it out.
Should allow you to see both ways enough to determine if something is
coming.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

My driveway angles at a sharp angle to an infrequently used road such
that I almost never have to even look to see if there's traffic (because
there's only traffic about once a month at the time I'm entering the
road).

Still, that's not a safety margin so I have to stop all the time (of
course).

One thing a friend suggested is making a reflective roadside mirror out
of 'something'.

Have you guys any ideas to bump me to the next stage on this idea of
adding a mirror at the end of my driveway to see traffic (and, I guess,
for the traffic to see me)?

Some of the people arround here have round convex mirrors 18 or 24
inches in diameter, often on a tree just across from their driveway.

Calysta for First Tramp?
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 11:25*pm, Chuck Banshee wrote:

Still, that's not a safety margin so I have to stop all the time (of
course).

One thing a friend suggested is making a reflective roadside mirror out
of 'something'.

With the proliferation of businesses going tits-up used "safety
mirrors" should be plentiful. I had hundreds a couple years ago I
couldn't give away.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/saf...ecatalog/N-b55

Still, I have to wonder about your implied conclusion that a mirror
(or mirrors) would serve as an adequate safety margin, and your desire
to "save" 3, maybe 5 seconds under those circumstances.

Entering a roadway from a private driveway may require by law a
"special stop"...
-----

- gpsman
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 11:25*pm, Chuck Banshee wrote:
My driveway angles at a sharp angle to an infrequently used road such
that I almost never have to even look to see if there's traffic (because
there's only traffic about once a month at the time I'm entering the
road).

Still, that's not a safety margin so I have to stop all the time (of
course).

One thing a friend suggested is making a reflective roadside mirror out
of 'something'.

Have you guys any ideas to bump me to the next stage on this idea of
adding a mirror at the end of my driveway to see traffic (and, I guess,
for the traffic to see me)?

Mirrors like this are very common in a lot of mountain towns where
they have problems like yours but with much greater traffic flow. Dont
have a clue what you call the things, maybe traffic mirrors.

Jimmie
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2012 10:25 PM, Chuck Banshee wrote:
My driveway angles at a sharp angle to an infrequently used road such
that I almost never have to even look to see if there's traffic (because
there's only traffic about once a month at the time I'm entering the
road).

Still, that's not a safety margin so I have to stop all the time (of
course).

One thing a friend suggested is making a reflective roadside mirror out
of 'something'.

Have you guys any ideas to bump me to the next stage on this idea of
adding a mirror at the end of my driveway to see traffic (and, I guess,
for the traffic to see me)?

I've installed this type mirror for people in stores and driveways.

http://www.mirrorpros.com/convex-mirror.htm

TDD

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

couldn't give away.http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/saf...rrors/traffic-...

Still, I have to wonder about your implied conclusion that a mirror
(or mirrors) would serve as an adequate safety margin, and your desire
to "save" 3, maybe 5 seconds under those circumstances.

Entering a roadway from a private driveway may require by law a
"special stop"...
*-----

- gpsman

Those mirrors are common in the backwoods areas of NJ where I have
traveled many times.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 11:07*pm, "Steve W." wrote:
Chuck Banshee wrote:
[...]

Hear, hear.

Back your car into the driveway/garage while it's an easy thing to do.

Then your all set for view coming out, and better yet, in an emergency
it's straight out.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 12:30*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jan 25, 7:14*am, gpsman wrote:
On Jan 24, 11:25*pm, Chuck Banshee wrote:

Still, that's not a safety margin so I have to stop all the time (of
course).

One thing a friend suggested is making a reflective roadside mirror out
of 'something'.

Still, I have to wonder about your implied conclusion that a mirror
(or mirrors) would serve as an adequate safety margin, and your desire
to "save" 3, maybe 5 seconds under those circumstances.

Entering a roadway from a private driveway may require by law a
"special stop"...

Those mirrors are common in the backwoods areas of NJ where I have
traveled many times.

So... what...?
-----

- gpsman
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:14:48 -0600, Steve Barker wrote:
It was 4'x8'. Check with your local plexiglas/lexan dealer.
you could probably even bend it convex for a wider angle view.

I've never heard of a 'local plexiglas/lexan dealer' but I can google for
that to see what I find.

Since there is a guardrail on the road curve, a long sheet of 'something'
that is attached to the guardrail might be perfect.

It would allow the infrequent drivers on the road to see me and for me to
see them.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:16:22 -0600, Steve Barker wrote:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23752

That's the kind of ideas that help everyone as price is an important
consideration for something here that isn't absolutely necessary.

Given there is a guardrail along the curve where the road and driveway
meet, the cheapest alternative solution, might be one of the following:
* PN 45613 Clear Mirror Sheet,12"x24" (x1/8"Thick), $15.28
* PN 45620 Clear Mirror Sheet,12"x24" (x1/4"Thick), $24.92

I wonder (aloud) if it will work, bolted to the guardrail ...

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:43:31 -0800, Evan wrote:

If you pull your car in the driveway backwards off the road upon
approach when you can see all the traffic

This gravel driveway is a couple hundred feet long, curved, hilly, and
unlit. I doubt backing up will be feasible in the long run.

It is better in the long term to remove any obstacles

Agreed. But, that would be a major multiple-thousands-of-dollars
construction project, and the land isn't all mine so it would require
agreement from neighbors and permits.

I think a $25 mirror is simpler - and cheaper (if/when I find it).
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 01:07:11 -0500, Steve W. wrote:

For a mirror you can usually buy the big convex ones reasonable from
outfits that sell security products or warehouse equipment.

The problem is the expense (so far) of the convex mirrors.

I'm looking at a cheap material ($25 or so) that can simply be bolted to
the guardrail. If someone steals it, it's not worth a lot, so that's why
I don't want to put anything more expensive up.

Just mount it across from the driveway up so lights don't hit it
and plows can't wipe it out.

I'm thinking of bolting it to the guardrail on the street just across
from the driveway. For that, a strip about a foot wide and as long as is
still cheap might work (if the angles are right).

There are no plows out here - but plenty of thieves so it would need to
be so cheap nobody would want to steal it.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:40:34 -0800, Robert Macy wrote:

Back your car into the driveway/garage while it's an easy thing to do.

This is the third person to suggest backing in the driveway so I
apologize for not stating that this would be more work (over time) than
just building a new driveway would.

The driveway is hundreds of feet long, hilly, curved, mostly gravel,
unlit, and not at all conducive to backing up into.

All I'm looking for is a cheap mirror source. About $25 or so, because
anything worth more than that gets stolen around here. I would just like
to find a strip of mirror to bolt to the guardrail on the road.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 05:14:02 -0800, gpsman wrote:

Still, I have to wonder about your implied conclusion that a mirror (or
mirrors) would serve as an adequate safety margin, and your desire to
"save" 3, maybe 5 seconds under those circumstances.

That's why it has to be cheap (about $25) because it's easy enough to
stop and there's almost never crossing traffic.

Still, what's so very wrong with looking for a cheap long bendable mirror
material that can be bolted to the guardrail on the curve across from the
driveway entrance to the road?
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 05:33:14 -0800, JIMMIE wrote:

Mirrors like this are very common in a lot of mountain towns where they
have problems like yours but with much greater traffic flow. Dont have a
clue what you call the things, maybe traffic mirrors.

Where the government puts them in, they can afford the $100 Grainger
price tag (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/saf...urity-mirrors/
traffic-safety/safety/ecatalog/N-b55) - but for what I'm looking for, it
has to be in the $25 range, including mounting.

So, IDEAS for alternative sources are what are best here (looks are
secondary).

The best bet, so far, is a strip of 1/8" thick 1-foot wide by a few feet
long mirror that I can bolt to the curved guardrail.

The angles may be all wrong though - so - it would have to be cheap to be
worth the effort and risk of it not working at all.

So far, the cheapest we can find at any decent length is this link from
Steve Barker:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23752

PN 42461 Clear Mirror Sheet,24"x48"x1/8", $61.12

Perhaps that can be sliced in half (to 12" widths) bolted to 8 foot of
the guard rail curve.

STill, $61 is pretty steep for what the objective is so that's why it's
so hard to find a cheap source for shiny plastic sheets.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Chuck Banshee wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:16:22 -0600, Steve Barker wrote:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23752

That's the kind of ideas that help everyone as price is an important
consideration for something here that isn't absolutely necessary.

Given there is a guardrail along the curve where the road and driveway
meet, the cheapest alternative solution, might be one of the following:
* PN 45613 Clear Mirror Sheet,12"x24" (x1/8"Thick), $15.28
* PN 45620 Clear Mirror Sheet,12"x24" (x1/4"Thick), $24.92

I wonder (aloud) if it will work, bolted to the guardrail ...

Bolt it to the rail and expect a visit for damaging the rail.
If you are going to put something up it cannot be attached to the rail,
telephone/electric poles or signposts. You will need to put up your own
post(s) behind the rails.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Chuck Banshee wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:43:31 -0800, Evan wrote:

If you pull your car in the driveway backwards off the road upon
approach when you can see all the traffic

This gravel driveway is a couple hundred feet long, curved, hilly, and
unlit. I doubt backing up will be feasible in the long run.

Then put a pad at the bottom to turn around on. In many states it is
illegal to back onto a road from a residential driveway.

It is better in the long term to remove any obstacles

Agreed. But, that would be a major multiple-thousands-of-dollars
construction project, and the land isn't all mine so it would require
agreement from neighbors and permits.

I think a $25 mirror is simpler - and cheaper (if/when I find it).

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

"Chuck Banshee" wrote in message

My driveway angles at a sharp angle to an infrequently used road . . .

One thing a friend suggested is making a reflective roadside mirror out
of 'something'.

In England such mirrors may be a standard product. You
do not see them often but you see them regularly, because
of the number of narrow winding roads and concealed entrances.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2012 1:53 PM, Chuck Banshee wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:16:22 -0600, Steve Barker wrote:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23752

That's the kind of ideas that help everyone as price is an important
consideration for something here that isn't absolutely necessary.

Given there is a guardrail along the curve where the road and driveway
meet, the cheapest alternative solution, might be one of the following:
* PN 45613 Clear Mirror Sheet,12"x24" (x1/8"Thick), $15.28
* PN 45620 Clear Mirror Sheet,12"x24" (x1/4"Thick), $24.92

I wonder (aloud) if it will work, bolted to the guardrail ...

until it gets filthicated.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 3:02*pm, Chuck Banshee wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 05:14:02 -0800, gpsman wrote:
Still, I have to wonder about your implied conclusion that a mirror (or
mirrors) would serve as an adequate safety margin, and your desire to
"save" 3, maybe 5 seconds under those circumstances.

That's why it has to be cheap (about $25) because it's easy enough to
stop and there's almost never crossing traffic.

Still, what's so very wrong with looking for a cheap long bendable mirror
material that can be bolted to the guardrail on the curve across from the
driveway entrance to the road?

I think that's somewhat subjective.

1. Stopping is free, and requires virtually no effort.
2. Stopping is smart, and being that smart requires virtually no
effort.
3. I don't think citizens are permitted by any state to attach
anything to a guardrail or any other public property/ROW.
4. Something like that has the possibility of adverse unintended
consequences, like blinding/confusing approaching motorists at night.
5. In the event of a crash, day or night, your mirror might be cited
and/or accepted as a contributing factor, whether or not it in fact
is.

Many people, including "officials", are convinced crashes can be
caused by red light cameras, fog, icy roads, ad infinitum, despite the
fact that most motorists manage to not crash in the identical
circumstances, at the same place and time.

Other than that, and your problem being imaginary, nothing.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 2:53*pm, Chuck Banshee wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:16:22 -0600, Steve Barker wrote:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23752

That's the kind of ideas that help everyone as price is an important
consideration for something here that isn't absolutely necessary.

Given there is a guardrail along the curve where the road and driveway
meet, the cheapest alternative solution, might be one of the following:
* PN 45613 Clear Mirror Sheet,12"x24" (x1/8"Thick), $15.28
* PN 45620 Clear Mirror Sheet,12"x24" (x1/4"Thick), $24.92

I wonder (aloud) if it will work, bolted to the guardrail ...

No, you would never even desire to learn the process you would
have to gio through to attach something to a government owned
guard rail -- i.e. you need engineering drawings done, traffic
studies done, looking at buying approved materials with DOT
ratings, going before a committee for approval, etc... If you do
attach something to the guard rail without permission you will
find that it will be mysteriously gone one day and zero sympathy
about it when you call to find out what happened to it...

Learn how to back into your driveway or widen it to allow you to
turn your vehicles around before stopping to pull onto the road
way...

~~ Evan
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 2:55*pm, Chuck Banshee wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:43:31 -0800, Evan wrote:
If you pull your car in the driveway backwards off the road upon
approach when you can see all the traffic

This gravel driveway is a couple hundred feet long, curved, hilly, and
unlit. I doubt backing up will be feasible in the long run.

It is better in the long term to remove any obstacles

Agreed. But, that would be a major multiple-thousands-of-dollars
construction project, and the land isn't all mine so it would require
agreement from neighbors and permits.

I think a $25 mirror is simpler - and cheaper (if/when I find it).

Then prepare an area at the end of your driveway near your house
on your land so you can turn vehicles around at the end of the
driveway near the house...

You think that it will be any easier to get permission from the
landowner on the opposite side of the road to attack the mirror,
which could be removed by the landowner or the DOT. at any
time..

~~ Evan
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Steve Barker:http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23752

PN 42461 Clear Mirror Sheet,24"x48"x1/8", $61.12

Perhaps that can be sliced in half (to 12" widths) bolted to 8 foot of
the guard rail curve.

STill, $61 is pretty steep for what the objective is so that's why it's
so hard to find a cheap source for shiny plastic sheets.

Dude... If you want to bolt it to the guard rail you are going to
have
to get permission to do that and it will have to be one of the
expensive
ones that has DOT approval, the filing fee for the request will be
more
than $25...

Figure out a way to turn the cars around up near your house...

~~ Evan
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2012 4:30 PM, Evan wrote:
On Jan 25, 2:53 pm, Chuck wrote:
[...]

From what he said I take it that he pulls out of the driveway in
forward as things are, and there is still a blind spot. I don't see
(but I lost a few posts) anywhere that he says he now backs out of the
drive. How is backing in going to help if he is already pulling out
forward?
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Chuck Banshee wrote in news:jfpmrs$a4s$3
@speranza.aioe.org:

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 01:07:11 -0500, Steve W. wrote:

For a mirror you can usually buy the big convex ones reasonable from
outfits that sell security products or warehouse equipment.

The problem is the expense (so far) of the convex mirrors.

I'm looking at a cheap material ($25 or so) that can simply be bolted to
the guardrail. If someone steals it, it's not worth a lot, so that's why
I don't want to put anything more expensive up.

I don't really want to say it, but Google is your friend. I found this by
searching the terms "traffic safety miror".
http://www.mirrorpros.com/convex-mirror.htm

$27 for a 12" with no backing. Perfectly adequate for this issue.

I would not advise mounting the mirror to the guardrail, since it will
quickly get filthy with road splash, and will probably get damaged as well.

Just do what's done by those in the hilly area near me: mount it to a pole
or tree /behind/ the guardrail. Hopefully your town won't bitch that your
mirror is on the road-allowance.

And speaking of road-allowance, have you tried simply calling your town
councilman? You might be able to score a FREE mirror, since it's a traffic-
safety issue, the driveway's legal, /they/ made the road, and the mirror
would need to be on the road-allowance anyway.

--
Tegger

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Chuck Banshee wrote in
:

STill, $61 is pretty steep for what the objective is so that's why
it's so hard to find a cheap source for shiny plastic sheets.

Boy, are you going about this the long-way-around. See my other reply.

--
Tegger
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Chuck Banshee wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:43:31 -0800, Evan wrote:

If you pull your car in the driveway backwards off the road upon
approach when you can see all the traffic

This gravel driveway is a couple hundred feet long, curved, hilly, and
unlit. I doubt backing up will be feasible in the long run.

A couple of hundred feet long? Can you clear a wide spot somewhere along it
to make a turn-around?

--
Paul Hovnanian
Error reading FAT record: Try the SKINNY one? (Y/N)

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 23:50:35 +0000, Tegger wrote:

And speaking of road-allowance, have you tried simply calling your town
councilman? You might be able to score a FREE mirror

I have never contacted a town councilman or a town anything. I will call
the town tomorrow to see whom it would be that I would ask for the mirror.

Obviously, if 'they' put it up, that's the BEST situation.

I'll let you know what they say.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 13:30:39 -0800, Evan wrote:

If you do attach something to the guard rail without
permission you will find that it will be mysteriously gone one day

Based on the input for the guard rail idea, I'm gonna give up on putting
a strip on the guard rail.

As people said:
a) Cost too much to do it with permits
b) Risk too high of unintended consequences (e.g., blind other drivers)
c) It will get 'filthicated' at that low level
d) The town will remove it if they see it

So, I give up on the guardrail idea.

The only thing left (other than making a turnout) is the standard convex
mirror ...
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2012 7:59 PM, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Chuck Banshee wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:43:31 -0800, Evan wrote:

If you pull your car in the driveway backwards off the road upon
approach when you can see all the traffic

This gravel driveway is a couple hundred feet long, curved, hilly, and
unlit. I doubt backing up will be feasible in the long run.

A couple of hundred feet long? Can you clear a wide spot somewhere along it
to make a turn-around?

What am I missing here? Did he ever say he backs his car onto the road?
You think he is backing up his gravel driveway around unlit curves and
hills for a couple hundred feet every time he leaves? No turn around
spot at the house? Nothing he said gave me that impression, did I miss
a post or two? He said the problem was pulling out, not in.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 5:09*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 1/25/2012 4:30 PM, Evan wrote:

On Jan 25, 2:53 pm, Chuck *wrote:
[...]

*From what he said I take it that he pulls out of the driveway in
forward as things are, and there is still a blind spot. *I don't see
(but I lost a few posts) anywhere that he says he now backs out of the
drive. *How is backing in going to help if he is already pulling out
forward?

It won't... His problems won't be solved by a mirror, he needs
to negotiate the removal of some of the obstructions which
sound like trees in his specific case... But OP's here never
seem to actually describe the situation and location of the
problem, leaving out key information, instead, they describe
some Rube Goldberg device or solution and ask if it could
work... A picture of the driveway in question would have
been ideal...

Until well into this thread it was not disclosed that the driveway
in question was hundreds of feet long and the entrance to the
lost woods/hidden valley... It could have been two car lengths
long for all anyone knew...
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Chuck Banshee wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:43:31 -0800, Evan wrote:

If you pull your car in the driveway backwards off the road upon
approach when you can see all the traffic

This gravel driveway is a couple hundred feet long, curved, hilly, and
unlit. I doubt backing up will be feasible in the long run.

A couple of hundred feet long? Can you clear a wide spot somewhere along it
to make a turn-around?

What am I missing here? *Did he ever say he backs his car onto the road?
* You think he is backing up his gravel driveway around unlit curves and
hills for a couple hundred feet every time he leaves? *No turn around
spot at the house? *Nothing he said gave me that impression, did I miss
a post or two? *He said the problem was pulling out, not in.

You are missing what everyone is missing... An incomplete story
filled in piece by piece with each of the OP's replies after the
general consensus of the replies in the thread poo-poo'ed his
proposed solution...
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 1/26/2012 4:06 AM, Evan wrote:
On Jan 25, 5:09 pm, Tony wrote:
On 1/25/2012 4:30 PM, Evan wrote:

On Jan 25, 2:53 pm, Chuck wrote:
[...]

From what he said I take it that he pulls out of the driveway in
[...]

Still no reason to assume he was backing out of the driveway. And it's
funny that you know the mirror won't work, there are many thousands of
them in use for the same exact purpose, I suppose none of them work either?
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Chuck Banshee wrote:

[...]

He has been pointed the direction of a parabolic mirror, a good
suggestion, I've seen them hundreds of times used for this purpose.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 5:53*am, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 1/26/2012 4:08 AM, Evan wrote:

You are missing what everyone is missing... *An incomplete story
filled in piece by piece with each of the OP's replies after the
general consensus of the replies in the thread poo-poo'ed his
proposed solution...

He has been pointed the direction of a parabolic mirror, a good
suggestion, I've seen them hundreds of times used for this purpose.

I don't think so. The OP only implied its purpose; avoiding stopping
at the end of the driveway before entering the roadway.

Surely the purpose of some similar mirrors are related to improving
"safety" of blind approaches, not merely avoiding stopping.
-----

- gpsman