Posted to alt.home.repair

Default washer and dryer swap dilemna

I have an old Maytag heavy duty dryer (about 14+ years old) and
Whirlpool washer (about 3.5 yrs old, model WTW57ESVW0), and so far
they work great. I got the Whirlpool based on the recommendation of
my appliance fix it guy and he said to avoid the electronics so that's
why I picked this washing machine model.

Now I just bought an investment home to rent that came with Samsung
front loaders ( washer model: dv409 ; dryer model: wf419aaw ) which I
estimate to be about 3 years old with pedestals so you don't have to
bend that much for either.

My dilemna is that I like what I have in my own house but I'm hesitant
to let strange rental people use the fancy Samsungs. I was thinking
of swapping the Samsungs with mine but I'm undecided. It would cost
me about $120 to do so (houses are like 4 miles apart). Another idea
is to store the Samsungs and install new ones in the rental home but I
guess storing appliances probably isn't the best idea due to seals
drying out, etc..??? I guess I'm too attached to my own washer and
dryer (in my own home). I guess I need to realize that my old Maytag
dryer could go kaput any day now at this age and that if I left the
Samsungs in the rental home and they need repair, it would be tax
deductible. Not sure if that helps me decide any but still should be
considered.

Any opinions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 09:06:30 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

[...]

Before someone jumps down my throat for saying this is off topic, you
are correct. I should have said OT in the subject line but forgot. My
apologies if it offends anyone but if it does, feel free to skip my
posts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

posts. *- Hide quoted text -

If it were me, I'd swap them
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 7:06*am, "Doug" wrote:
[...]

My opinion: Leave everything where it is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:
[...]

My vote would be to leave all of the washers and dryers where they are.
Your potential tenants will like the ones they will be getting to use, so
renting the place should be easier etc., and it saves you the time and
expense of having to do anything now to change them around.

Some landlords put a clause in their leases that the appliances such as a
washer/dryer are there for the tenants' convenience but that the tenants are
responsible for all repairs and for buying their own replacements if
replacement is needed. In other words, the lease says that the lease
includes the washer/dryer hookup but not the appliances themselves. I don't
do that, but many landlords do. That way, if one of the machines breaks you
won't necessarily have to replace it with another front loading machine.

If you have a smart CPA/accountant, he/she may suggest that you do
"component depreciation" or "cost segregation" (or some term like that)
where you depreciate the building over 27 years but you can depreciate items
that are not a permanent part of the building (such as washers and dryers,
even gutters, etc) over less time such as 3-5 years. So, leaving the front
for those items.

Depending on where you are located, if you go to:
http://reiclub.com/real-estate-clubs.php and click on your State, you may
be able to find a real estate investor association near you that you can
join. For anyone who owns one or more rental properties, or who wants to do
other forms of real estate investing, these are a great resource and are
worth joining for around $125/year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 9:06*am, "Doug" wrote:
[...]

I would leave them where they are and use them as a rental
attraction. And BTW - I really don't consider this OT.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 11:34:45 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

Doug wrote:
[...]

Nice to talk to a fellow landlord. I have a smart CPA and I sleep
with her too!!! She's my wife grin. I don't think I can
depreciate the washer/dryer separate because they came as part of the
purchase of the house and is in the contract too. I like your idea
though if possible. I did that with another house that I purchased
the refrig separate from the house.

I found the problem with letting the tenant be responsible for the
washer/dryer or whatever is that they usually don't take that good of
care as the owner so it's a crap shoot. Some tenants of course are
better than others. The old TAR leases (Texas) use to have a repair
deductible where the tenant paid something at first and the rest
picked up by the landlord. The newer leases did away with that. I
try to use the latest forms. Of course I can write whatever in the
special provisions if I can make up my mind .

I like your idea of a real estate invest association but I am a real
estate broker/realtor so I already have to pay dues so I may delay
your idea for now.

Appreciate the help !!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:
[...]

I belong to 2 real estate investor associations (REIA's) in my area -- one
in the State where I live and one in an adjacent State. One has about 400
members and the other has about 900 members. Both have a number of Realtors
as members, both brokers and sales agents. Most, if not all, of them are
investors themselves. So, they learn a lot that saves them more money each
year in their real estate investments than the cost of their dues. Plus,
many of them end up with more business by helping other fellow members find
properties etc.

Both REIA's have online discussion groups for their members where people
post questions, suggestions, etc. about buying, selling, renting, evicting,
financing, repairing, rehabbing, flipping, etc. etc. Both of the REIA's to
which I belong are also chapters of the National Real Estate Investor's
Association, which means that all of the local members (like me) get the
benefits that are offered through the national association. These include
things like 2% back on all Home Depot purchases, discounts on paint products
through Sherwin Williams and MAB Paint Stores, etc.

Both REIA's have monthly "main meetings" and several small "sub-group"
meetings per month that focus on specific topics such a landlording,
rehabbing, flipping, wholesaling, setting up and buying properties with a
self-directed IRA, private lending/borrowing, etc.

I don't get any commission or anything else for drumming up memberships for
REIA's. And, the REIA's themselves are not perfect. But, overall, I think
that anyone who is involved in real estate investing should at least attend
a meeting or two if they have a REIA in their local area. Most have
websites that describe what they do, what the benefits of membership are,
etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 09:22:30 -0700 (PDT), RonB
wrote:

On Jun 6, 9:06*am, "Doug" wrote:
[...]

To be honest, all things considered and checking with my wife's
preference (she doesn't care), I'm leaning to what you said. I
haven't yet made my final decision as I just want to see what others
say here before I decide. I need to decide because I have other
things waiting on this decision too.

And thanks for your vote of confidence on the OT. I still think it's
a bit off (no repair actually here) but it's related to homes
otherwise. Anyway I appreciate what you said. Thank you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote:
On Jun 6, 7:06 am, "Doug" wrote:
[...]

Second that.

The front-loading Samsung will break sooner than the 14-year old Maytag.
Meanwhile, the front-loader will be an attractive selling point to the
renter and you should be able to get $25 or more per month for the
fancy-schmancy washer.

Put the $25 in the mattress to replace the washer when if finally croaks.