Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HVAC help

I stumbled upon your website and loved it. My carrier weathermaker
quit working. It is about 14 years old. I went outside and there is a
loud hum and the fan is not running. I spun the fan with a screwdriver
and it came on, but still barely spun. It did not spin like normal. I
pulled the power disconnect and still heard the buzzing. I turned off
the thermostat and the buzzing finally stopped. I took the cover off
and turned the thermostat back on, the buzzing was coming from a
relay. Honeywell DP204DA5003 coil 24v 50 hz 24 v 60 hz.

Am I to assume this relay is bad? I appreciate any help. My family is
sweating and tomorrow is a holiday so I am not sure what I am going to
do.

I have a small unit to my bonus room. It is a different brand unit. I
am not sure if the relay out of there would work or not.

I appreciate any help!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

If it was my unit, I would check the motor start capacitor. It is probably a
dual unit that starts the compressor and the fan. It is usually a little
round or oval canister with wires that are on connectors that push on to
the capacitor. They can be purchased for probably under $20 at Graingers or
a supply house. You could just try replacing it if you have no way to test
it. Might save you a service call. Its a gamble . Make sure you mark the
position of the wires when you take them off so you know where they go on
the new one and turn off the power at the breaker box before you mess with
it.

Good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 7:44*pm, stryped wrote:
[...]

The first thing you need to do is test the capacitor of the fan motor
and to do this you will need this tool.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1305995...pes&va r=sbar

If the problem is not the capacitor then you will need to replace the
fan motor. Ignore the buzzing sound, that's normal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

stryped wrote:

I stumbled upon your website and loved it.

Glad you like it.

I'll let my staff handle your question. Let me know if they don't give
you a prompt, courteous, and accurate answer.

- The Management -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 3:44*am, stryped wrote:
[...]

There are two windings on a single phase motor. There may or may not
be a capacitor in series with one of them. The one with a capacitor
may or may not have a centrifugal switch too.

One of these items is faulty. The fact that spinning the motor by
hand does not make it go indicates that the run winding is likely open
circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 1:17*am, harry wrote:
[...]

So you think it is the capacitor? What do i test from here?
Posted to alt.home.repair

stryped wrote:
On May 28, 1:17 am, harry wrote:
[...]

First, check the power relay for burnt points or poor contact. With the unit
energized, push hard on the relay's contacts. If the fan starts, remove the
relay (noting where all the wires go), take the relay to Grainger's (or
similar) and say: "Gimmie one like this."

If the relay is not the problem, remove the capacitor, take the capacitor to
Grainger's (or similar). Say: "Gimmie one like this." Install the new
capacitor.

If a new capacitor doesn't fix the problem, remove the fan, then the blades
(noting up and down). Take the motor to Grainger's (or similar) and say:
"Gimmie one like this."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 9:41*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
stryped wrote:
On May 28, 1:17 am, harry wrote:
[...]

I strongly suggest one understand basic electrical circuits and
safety before screwing around with 240V with a live circuit. If
you push on that relay with fingers you could wind up dead.

I would start with a meter and find out what has power and what
doesn't. If the relay is energized and there is 240V on the
supply side and not on the load side, then it's a bad relay.
But it could be many things and unless the OP knows what
they are doing, I'd suggest calling a pro.

..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 9:12*am, "
wrote:
On May 28, 9:41*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

stryped wrote:
On May 28, 1:17 am, harry wrote:
[...]

Agreed!! Also, since the relay is most likely in the same box as the
fan, if he messes with the relay and the fan starts, he may get his
arm badky damaged. Relay humming, even fairly loud, is normal. The
OP, with the power turned off needs to see if the fan turns easily, if
so, that says the bearings are probably ok. If he masures 230V going
to the motor from the relay, then it looks like the motor is the
culprit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

stryped wrote in news:14f9ece8-66b9-4d21-8f3a-5ac7f2f8e990
@f14g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

So you think it is the capacitor? What do i test from here?

Post on alt.hvac instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
stryped wrote in
@f14g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

So you think it is the capacitor? What do i test from here?

Post on alt.hvac instead.

If he does post on alt.hvac, he'll give up totally on diagnosing his problem
and buy a pig farm far, far away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in news:14f9ece8-66b9-4d21-8f3a-5ac7f2f8e990
@f14g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

So you think it is the capacitor? What do i test from here?

Post on alt.hvac instead.

You can post there, just don't expect typical "help".

Some there will try to fill the DIY'er with doubt, and only encourage
you to call a pro.

I found the web site eHow.com to have helpful information.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote in :

Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in news:14f9ece8-66b9-4d21-8f3a-5ac7f2f8e990
@f14g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

So you think it is the capacitor? What do i test from here?

Post on alt.hvac instead.

You can post there, just don't expect typical "help".

I know. That suggestion was intended as a subtle way of telling stryped to go away. Google
his other posts in alt.home.repair and rec.crafts.metalworking, and you'll see why.

HVAC questions welcomed at alt.hvac Larry F Home Repair 20 December 30th 05 04:40 AM
HVAC questions welcomed at alt.hvac m Ransley Home Repair 0 December 28th 05 03:35 PM
please post your HVAC questions to alt.hvac hawaiian Home Repair 4 December 9th 05 06:20 AM
HVAC Frank Thompson Home Repair 1 May 24th 05 12:36 PM
HVAC ? Ryan Ashline Home Repair 1 August 18th 04 03:22 PM