Posted to alt.home.repair
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default HVAC help

On May 28, 1:17*am, harry wrote:
On May 28, 3:44*am, stryped wrote:

I stumbled upon your website and loved it. My carrier weathermaker
quit working. It is about 14 years old. I went outside and there is a
loud hum and the fan is not running. I spun the fan with a screwdriver
and it came on, but still barely spun. It did not spin like normal. I
pulled the power disconnect and still heard the buzzing. I turned off
the thermostat and the buzzing finally stopped. I took the cover off
and turned the thermostat back on, the buzzing was coming from a
relay. Honeywell DP204DA5003 coil 24v 50 hz 24 v 60 hz.

Am I to assume this relay is bad? I appreciate any help. My family is
sweating and tomorrow is a holiday so I am not sure what I am going to
do.

I have a small unit to my bonus room. It is a different brand unit. I
am not sure if the relay out of there would work or not.

I appreciate any help!

There are two windings on a single phase motor. *There may or may not
be a capacitor in series with one of them. *The one with a capacitor
may or may not have a centrifugal switch too.

One of these items is faulty. *The fact that spinning the *motor by
hand does not make it go indicates that the run winding is likely open
circuit.

So you think it is the capacitor? What do i test from here?