Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clean dirty bathtub

On 5/26/2012 8:31 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Might be not a stain, but might be the enamel is worn through.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message
My bathtub has a stain in it that is impossible to remove so far. Here
is a picture of it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7629878927850/.

What should I use to remove the stain? I tried bleach and it does not
work. It feels rather rough and even powderly at the stained area.

Thanks

I've seen "refinishing" (painting) of a tub once, and it was CRAP. When
an OP is apparently/obviously inexperienced, we should try to start
simply - refinishing tubs or bombing them with inappropriate acids are
not a good starting place. Close up photos and a better description
would also seem to be needed...if the tub finish is gone, then the areas
should be pitted and (usually) rusting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote in message
My bathtub has a stain in it that is impossible to remove so far. Here
is a picture of it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7629878927850/.

What should I use to remove the stain? I tried bleach and it does not
work. It feels rather rough and even powderly at the stained area.

Thanks

I've seen "refinishing" (painting) of a tub once, and it was CRAP. *When
an OP is apparently/obviously inexperienced, we should try to start
simply - refinishing tubs or bombing them with inappropriate acids are
not a good starting place. Close up photos and a better description
would also seem to be needed...if the tub finish is gone, then the areas
should be pitted and (usually) rusting.

Bull****,

The porcelain is clearly worn away and collecting
stains in the porous areas...

There are two solutions, keep cleaning the stains
if they are objectionable to the OP appearance-wise
or have the tub professionally refinished (not painted)
by a company that knows what they are doing...

There is no need to see more close ups or read
more about it... It is what it is...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
My bathtub has a stain in it that is impossible to remove so far. Here
is a picture of it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7629878927850/.

What should I use to remove the stain? I tried bleach and it does not
work. It feels rather rough and even powderly at the stained area.

Thanks

I've seen "refinishing" (painting) of a tub once, and it was CRAP. When
an OP is apparently/obviously inexperienced, we should try to start
simply - refinishing tubs or bombing them with inappropriate acids are
not a good starting place. Close up photos and a better description
would also seem to be needed...if the tub finish is gone, then the areas
should be pitted and (usually) rusting.

I found out, sort of by accident, that drain cleaner helps clean up some
of those stains. At some point though it also removed some of the
finish, so not good for long term use!

I had a tub refinished professionally, when I was selling the house. It
looked really good afterwards - sort of blindingly white and very smooth
and well done. You do have to be more careful though in terms of what
sort of cleaning solutions you can use on it afterwards.

I've seen refinishing patch kits sold on line, but I don't know what
sort of results they produce. I believe the professional guys can also
do patching, and would imagine they could alter the color of the finish
as well to make it better match an older tub.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think there is no rust. It appears the gloss has worn away as yo
said.

Can a pro refinish the worn area or do they have to do the entire tub?