Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clean dirty bathtub

I think you are right. What does it take to refinish the tub? Is it a
pro job?

On May 26, 5:31*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Might be not a stain, but might be the enamel is worn through.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

wrote in message

My bathtub has a stain in it that is impossible to remove so far. Here
is a picture of it:http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7629878927850/.

What should I use to remove the stain? I tried bleach and it does not
work. It feels rather rough and even powderly at the stained area.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Never done one. I have totally no information.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

My bathtub has a stain in it that is impossible to remove so far. Here
is a picture of
it:http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7629878927850/.

What should I use to remove the stain? I tried bleach and it does not
work. It feels rather rough and even powderly at the stained area.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:10:26 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

What does it take to refinish the tub? Is it a
pro job?

Call a local company that does sink and tub surface restoration. I've
had a couple of sinks done and an old claw foot done. They looked as
good or better than new.

The work can be done in your home. A tub might take several hours work
to complete. I don't have experience with a DIY job. Better left to
the pros.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

My bathtub has a stain in it that is impossible to remove so far. Here

is a picture of it:http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7629878927850/.

What should I use to remove the stain? I tried bleach and it does not

work. It feels rather rough and even powderly at the stained area.

Thanks

I am directing this to Robert Macy, I have hf in 500 Ml About a pint. Its concentrate is 48%. What is the dilution used for etching
tubs for paint prep.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 3:54*am, wrote:
I am directing this to Robert Macy, I have hf in 500 Ml About a pint. Its concentrate is 48%. What is the dilution used for etching
*tubs for paint prep.

almost missed this posting.

BE CAREFUL. That stuff generates fumes that are corrosive.especially
to mucosa tissues.

Do not know the answer.

Did you try posting to the chemistry Usenet groups?

Senior Member

Is this an enameled steel tub? Also, what have you tried so far besides bleach?

If this is an enameled steel tub, I would also try acetone, a hydrochloric acid based toilet bowl cleaner (but be careful using this around any chrome as hydrochloric acid will dissolve chrome plating), and oven cleaner.

You should be aware that you can make the tub LOOK nice again by having it refinished, but the refinishing coat is not nearly as hard and durable as the powder coating that was originally on the steel tub, and won't last nearly as long as the original powder coating would have.

If it wuz me, I would try those 3 items listed above on the spot near the back of the tub. Whatever takes it off will probably take of the spot near the drain. You have chrome near that front spot, so you'll have to do something to protect the chrome from the acid, perhaps cover the drain with plastic tape or something.

I suspect what you have are rough surface in those two areas, and soap scum has accumulated in the roughness and dirt from your feet has gotten embedded in that soap scum. If this is an enameled steel tub, oven cleaner won't harm the powder coating. I'd spray a bit of oven cleaner onto the stain at the back of the tub, let it work for a half hour, and then scrub that spot with an old toothbrush. (Don't use a natural bristle toothbrush; use one with plastic bristles. Oven cleaner and drain cleaner both dissolve animal hair.)

Last edited by nestork : October 18th 12 at 12:20 AM