Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clean dirty bathtub

On May 26, 4:08*pm, " wrote:
My bathtub has a stain in it that is impossible to remove so far. Here
is a picture of it:http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7629878927850/.

What should I use to remove the stain? I tried bleach and it does not
work. It feels rather rough and even powderly at the stained area.

Thanks

Whink, mild HF acid

WEAR GLOVES!!!! Else the tiny bit that gets under your nails you'll
pay dearly for, ...after about an hour, then feel the pain for days.

You can also 'try' Dial Liquid antibacterial handsoap - the thick gold
color. Put on a paper towel [the liquid onto the towel, not YOU
putting on the towel] and rub into the stain area. We found that the
product sometimes removes/reverts rusted tools and metal damage back
to new like shine.

May be more difficult for you to get [may be available at janitorial
suppliers, Unicide 256 by Brulins, Indiana. It's a quaternary compound
in the form of a sanitizing liquid for use around people and pets -
hospitals, veterinarian clinics, etc. The product is supposed to be
cut 256:1, so that a gallon makes 256 gallons of bleach-like killing
power. But my wife found that at 16 to 20:1 it 'returns' metal.
Example, rusted chrome plated vacuum cleaner tube. Tube was rough and
reddish powdery and came off on everything, essentially became a trash
tube. Wipe with unicide solution and the rust ALL disappeared, the
chrome shine came back, and all that was noticeable were tiny little
pin-prick like holes over the surface [pitting], but the tube no
longer turned your hands red and at a distance looked new. Example 2:
finally discovered our lost pair of Krauter pliers had been left
outside for one year! Rust beyond belief, would not even open/close,
absolutely rigid. After soaking in solution and then rubbing surfaces
to polish, regained pliers. However, as expected the pliers were
permanently roughened, but at least finish was stable and after
oiling, the pliers were as good as new, didn't even notice any 'play'
in the box joint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
On May 26, 4:08 pm, " wrote:
My bathtub has a stain in it that is impossible to remove so far.
Here
is a picture of
it:http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7629878927850/.

What should I use to remove the stain? I tried bleach and it does not
work. It feels rather rough and even powderly at the stained area.

Thanks

Whink, mild HF acid

HF? OMG! NEVER!

Even the tiniest amount of the most diluted Hydrofluoric acid is a calcium
blocker and will stop your heart. The treatment for HF poisoning is
hit-and-miss.

I think you meant HCl or hydrochloric acid, sometimes called Muriatic acid.
Be prepared for fumes and set up some good ventilation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Robert Macy wrote:
On May 26, 4:08 pm, " wrote:
My bathtub has a stain in it that is impossible to remove so far.
Here
is a picture of
it:http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7629878927850/.

What should I use to remove the stain? I tried bleach and it does not
work. It feels rather rough and even powderly at the stained area.

Thanks

Whink, mild HF acid

HF? OMG! NEVER!

Even the tiniest amount of the most diluted Hydrofluoric acid is a calcium
blocker and will stop your heart. The treatment for HF poisoning is
hit-and-miss.

I think you meant HCl or hydrochloric acid, sometimes called Muriatic
acid. Be prepared for fumes and set up some good ventilation.

Believe it or not, there is a product on the market that contains HF for use
in rust removal. I can not remember the name but it is even sold in my
local Ace Hardware. The first time I heard of it, I demanded the fellow who
told me about it bring in the bottle because I could not believe it. Sure
enough, the primary active ingredient was HF. He took it away from his
mother who was about to use it on a kitchen oven.
The scary thing to me about HF is that the deadly effects are not immediate
when the skin is exposed to a tiny amount. The pain gets worse until it is
unbearable. By that time, the HF has made it to the bone and its calcium
channel blocking effects can occur shortly thereafter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 10:41*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
On May 26, 4:08 pm, " wrote:
My bathtub has a stain in it that is impossible to remove so far.
Here
is a picture of
it:http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7629878927850/.

What should I use to remove the stain? I tried bleach and it does not
work. It feels rather rough and even powderly at the stained area.

Thanks

Whink, mild HF acid

HF? OMG! NEVER!

Even the tiniest amount of the most diluted Hydrofluoric acid is a calcium
blocker and will stop your heart. The treatment for HF poisoning is
hit-and-miss.

I think you meant HCl or hydrochloric acid, sometimes called Muriatic acid.
Be prepared for fumes and set up some good ventilation.

Read the label. HF acid.

I tried to etch glass with it, but too dilute.

Instantly removes rust stains almost anywhere. Keep it off aluminum.

Less than $3 a bottle, from memory.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 9:14*am, "Baron" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

Robert Macy wrote:
On May 26, 4:08 pm, " wrote:
[...]

Well, almost unbearable! Will tell you it's like having fire under
your fingernails for around 2-3 hours depending on exposure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Baron" wrote in
:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Robert Macy wrote:
.

[...]

if his tub surface feels rough,the porcelain has already lost it's
gloss(been etched) and need to be refinished or replaced.
If refinished,the new surface must be treated gently,NO abrasive
cleaners,and use a "tub mat" made from that rubberized shelf liner(it's not
antislip).
if you use a regular tub mat,the anti-slip suction cups will rip up the new
finish.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote:

Whink, mild HF acid

HF? OMG! NEVER!

Even the tiniest amount of the most diluted Hydrofluoric acid is a
calcium blocker and will stop your heart. The treatment for HF
poisoning is hit-and-miss.

I think you meant HCl or hydrochloric acid, sometimes called
Muriatic acid. Be prepared for fumes and set up some good
ventilation.

Read the label. HF acid.

I tried to etch glass with it, but too dilute.

Instantly removes rust stains almost anywhere. Keep it off aluminum.

Less than $3 a bottle, from memory.

Sigh. Where's the Consumer Product Safety Commission when you need it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Robert Macy, Mike wrote:
is this like muriatic acid?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ub-698924-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 11:44:09 AM UTC-4, Mike wrote:
replying to Robert Macy, Mike wrote:
is this like muriatic acid?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ub-698924-.htm

No, he's talking about hydrofluoric acid, a different acid, which
will etch glass. I wouldn't use it to clean a stain in a bathtub.
I would use muriatic acid which is hydrochloric acid. Or a rust
remover product like CLR.