Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to clean my bathtub

Hi. I have what I believe are rust stains in my bathtub. I think the
bathtub is fiberglass. I've tried Barkeeper's Friend, CLR, Comet, and
Lysol at various times. None of them have worked. Any suggestions? Thnaks
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Smith wrote:
Hi. I have what I believe are rust stains in my bathtub. I think the
bathtub is fiberglass. I've tried Barkeeper's Friend, CLR, Comet, and
Lysol at various times. None of them have worked. Any suggestions? Thnaks

You could try Iron Out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd try Whink (it's over in the laundry products). I haven't tried it
on fiberglass, but I have tried it on a wide variety of other surfaces,
from carpet to tile to clothing, and it's always worked. You may need
to dampen the spot and let it work for awhile. FYI, Lysol does nothing
for rust. It's a good disinfectant (kills bacteria and viruses), but
not meant for stains.

Jo Ann

John Smith wrote:
Hi. I have what I believe are rust stains in my bathtub. I think the
bathtub is fiberglass. I've tried Barkeeper's Friend, CLR, Comet, and
Lysol at various times. None of them have worked. Any suggestions? Thnaks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 21:37:37 GMT, John Smith
wrote:

Hi. I have what I believe are rust stains in my bathtub. I think the
bathtub is fiberglass. I've tried Barkeeper's Friend, CLR, Comet, and
Lysol at various times. None of them have worked. Any suggestions? Thnaks

My super cleaning agent. Try the waterless grease removers found in
garage workshops. Its easy on the skin and on fiberglass plus a lot
of other hard to clean stuff. Its a paste with pumice. Leave a pat
on the rust stain to let it work into the stain. Then use a cloth or
worn out (so as not to scour the fiberglass finish) scotchbrite pad to
rub the rust off. The automotive parts shop should stock it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wal-mart sells a product called "The Works". It is sold as a toilet
cleaner and contains "hydrogen chloride" (hydrochloric acid). It
dissolves rust like magic. The product is very cheap - a little over a
dollar for a large bottle (same size as Lysol toilet bowl cleaner which
also contains "hydrogen chloride").

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')