DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to clean my bathtub (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/181482-how-clean-my-bathtub.html)

John Smith November 4th 06 09:37 PM

How to clean my bathtub

Hi. I have what I believe are rust stains in my bathtub. I think the
bathtub is fiberglass. I've tried Barkeeper's Friend, CLR, Comet, and
Lysol at various times. None of them have worked. Any suggestions? Thnaks

Frank November 4th 06 10:18 PM

How to clean my bathtub

John Smith wrote:
Hi. I have what I believe are rust stains in my bathtub. I think the
bathtub is fiberglass. I've tried Barkeeper's Friend, CLR, Comet, and
Lysol at various times. None of them have worked. Any suggestions? Thnaks

You could try Iron Out.

[email protected] November 4th 06 10:20 PM

How to clean my bathtub

I'd try Whink (it's over in the laundry products). I haven't tried it
on fiberglass, but I have tried it on a wide variety of other surfaces,
from carpet to tile to clothing, and it's always worked. You may need
to dampen the spot and let it work for awhile. FYI, Lysol does nothing
for rust. It's a good disinfectant (kills bacteria and viruses), but
not meant for stains.

Jo Ann

PaPaPeng November 5th 06 12:08 AM

How to clean my bathtub

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 21:37:37 GMT, John Smith
wrote:

Hi. I have what I believe are rust stains in my bathtub. I think the
bathtub is fiberglass. I've tried Barkeeper's Friend, CLR, Comet, and
Lysol at various times. None of them have worked. Any suggestions? Thnaks

My super cleaning agent. Try the waterless grease removers found in
garage workshops. Its easy on the skin and on fiberglass plus a lot
of other hard to clean stuff. Its a paste with pumice. Leave a pat
on the rust stain to let it work into the stain. Then use a cloth or
worn out (so as not to scour the fiberglass finish) scotchbrite pad to
rub the rust off. The automotive parts shop should stock it.

krw November 5th 06 03:43 AM

How to clean my bathtub

In article ,
says...
Hi. I have what I believe are rust stains in my bathtub. I think the
bathtub is fiberglass. I've tried Barkeeper's Friend, CLR, Comet, and
Lysol at various times. None of them have worked. Any suggestions? Thnaks

If it's fiberglass use a marine cleaner/polish like Macgiure's-50.
Then a wax like StarBright with Teflon. This stuff is meant for
fiberglass and boat owners use it ever year.

--
Keith

---MIKE--- November 5th 06 05:19 PM

How to clean my bathtub

Wal-mart sells a product called "The Works". It is sold as a toilet
cleaner and contains "hydrogen chloride" (hydrochloric acid). It
dissolves rust like magic. The product is very cheap - a little over a
dollar for a large bottle (same size as Lysol toilet bowl cleaner which
also contains "hydrogen chloride").

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

krw November 5th 06 07:05 PM

How to clean my bathtub

In article ,
says...
Wal-mart sells a product called "The Works". It is sold as a toilet
cleaner and contains "hydrogen chloride" (hydrochloric acid). It
dissolves rust like magic. The product is very cheap - a little over a
dollar for a large bottle (same size as Lysol toilet bowl cleaner which
also contains "hydrogen chloride").

Is it safe on fiberglass? Toilets are porcelain (more or less
glass).

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

--

Keith

A hundred or so miles west and 1000' closer to the center
(44.30N - Elevation 528')

John Smith November 8th 06 07:46 AM

How to clean my bathtub

In article ,
"Lisa BB." wrote:

John Smith wrote in news:myacleaks-
:

Hi. I have what I believe are rust stains in my bathtub. I think the
bathtub is fiberglass. I've tried Barkeeper's Friend, CLR, Comet, and
Lysol at various times. None of them have worked. Any suggestions? Thnaks

Make a paste of baking soda and water. Wet the surface of tub or shower
stall; gently rub with the paste on a sponge or soft nylon brush. Rinse
thoroughly. Never use an abrasive cleaner (such as common scouring powder),
any abrasive scouring pad, steel wool, or a scraper.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll try them.