Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wheel in garage for winding up hose on, broke off. Replacement?

It was designed spin around a water faucet that was
sticking out perpendicular to the wall -- you'd screw
the female end of the hose onto a rotating extension of the
water faucet, which was the central axis of the wheel.

As you spin the wheel (via a crank attached near the outer
rim of the wheel), the hose would be pulled up off the
floor and wrap around the wheel, making for a nice
compact hose-storage system.

What *I* used it for winding on outdoor wlectric cable,
eg 100-foot long 12-guage extension cord.

Anyway, the wheel has now broken off. Actually, it
was the water-pipe going from the water faucet
to the center of whe spinning wheel (water couldn't
leak out) that snapped.

Any suggestions where'd you get such a thing?

And how would you securly attach it to rock wall
(ie, the wall of the garage)?

----

Yes, I know I could have googled, etc, but since I had
just typed in two other alt-home-repair posts, it was
easier to just post this question right then and there.

So, yes, I could have found out something by myself,
but you guys here are so knowledgeable and smart, that
there'd be more information here than at any supply house.

What I'd like is a wheel 1.5 to 2 feet in diameter,
with maybe 4 or 5 inch-wide space (parallel to the
wheel's axis) where a long garden hose would fit.

(Even though my use will be for electric cable.)

Thanks for whatever suggestions you come up with!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25 May 2012 02:34:31 -0400, (David Combs) wrote:

It was designed spin around a water faucet that was
sticking out perpendicular to the wall -- you'd screw
the female end of the hose onto a rotating extension of the
water faucet, which was the central axis of the wheel.

Any suggestions where'd you get such a thing?

And how would you securly attach it to rock wall
(ie, the wall of the garage)?

http://www.rapidreel.com/product/wal...den-hose-reel/

I have the model on a stand and live it. So much better than the crap
at the big box stores.

I'd lag it into a couple of studs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I have one close to this in my garage I use for electric cord.
http://tinyurl.com/6s4c3p8
Got 3 others around the house for hoses, 2 attached to brick walls.

Just browse the net for hose reels to find what you want.
The cheapest ones that aren't obvious garbage have worked well for me.
Not sure what you mean by "rock" wall.
Anyway, if it's sheetrock use a couple 1"x 2" wood cleats screwed into
2 studs, adjusting the distance between them so the holes on the reel
will match up. If the reel holes match the studs, you don't need the
cleats. Pre-drill any screw holes in the cleats so they don't split.
If it's really rock, don't know.
Concrete, look up Tapcon. Use wood cleats.
Brick, drill holes in the mortar joints for plastic plugs, using
masonry bit,. Screw wood cleats to them, attach reel to cleats.

--
Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
It was designed spin around a water faucet that was
sticking out perpendicular to the wall -- you'd screw
the female end of the hose onto a rotating extension of the
water faucet, which was the central axis of the wheel.

As you spin the wheel (via a crank attached near the outer
rim of the wheel), the hose would be pulled up off the
floor and wrap around the wheel, making for a nice
compact hose-storage system.

What *I* used it for winding on outdoor wlectric cable,
eg 100-foot long 12-guage extension cord.

Anyway, the wheel has now broken off. Actually, it
was the water-pipe going from the water faucet
to the center of whe spinning wheel (water couldn't
leak out) that snapped.

You could get the one you have welded.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 2:34*am, (David Combs) wrote:
[...]

So is there any good reason why you would wind
an electrical cord on a hose reel still attached to
the water line ?

There are many other ways to handle that chore
without using a reel which is attached to a
water pipe...

You can use a freestanding hose reel for such
purposes...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 May 2012 05:42:06 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 25 May 2012 02:34:31 -0400, (David Combs) wrote:

It was designed spin around a water faucet that was
sticking out perpendicular to the wall -- you'd screw
the female end of the hose onto a rotating extension of the
water faucet, which was the central axis of the wheel.

Any suggestions where'd you get such a thing?

And how would you securly attach it to rock wall
(ie, the wall of the garage)?

http://www.rapidreel.com/product/wal...den-hose-reel/

I have the model on a stand and live it. So much better than the crap
at the big box stores.

I'd lag it into a couple of studs.

I'll totally agree with what you said. But why would one want to
store an extension cord outdoors?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 25 May 2012 02:34:31 -0400,
(David Combs) wrote:

[...]

They sell reels made for extension cords that are probably smaller and
more well suited for the use. You could make something from a small
piece of log and a few circles of plywood too. Then drill a hole in
the middle and use a long bolt to attach it to the wall. All hose
reels made these days are plastic garbage not worth buying.

They also sell cheap plastic cord reels that will last a year or two.

I love the cheap orange plastic cord reels that have a blach handle that slides
in a trank in the center hole. The only thing they are missing is a quick spray
of silicone lubricant to make them turn easily. I don't think I've seem one that
would handle 100 feet of 12 ga. though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 25 May 2012 02:34:31 -0400, (David Combs) wrote:

It was designed spin around a water faucet that was
sticking out perpendicular to the wall -- you'd screw
the female end of the hose onto a rotating extension of the
water faucet, which was the central axis of the wheel.

Any suggestions where'd you get such a thing?

And how would you securly attach it to rock wall
(ie, the wall of the garage)?

http://www.rapidreel.com/product/wal...den-hose-reel/

I have the model on a stand and live it. So much better than the crap
at the big box stores.

I'd lag it into a couple of studs.

Thanks for the link!

Now a really naive questioni: what does "to lag it into" mean?

And remember, this is a ROCK wall.

Thanks,

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2012 05:42:06 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 25 May 2012 02:34:31 -0400, (David Combs) wrote:

It was designed spin around a water faucet that was
sticking out perpendicular to the wall -- you'd screw
the female end of the hose onto a rotating extension of the
water faucet, which was the central axis of the wheel.

Any suggestions where'd you get such a thing?

And how would you securly attach it to rock wall
(ie, the wall of the garage)?

http://www.rapidreel.com/product/wal...den-hose-reel/

I have the model on a stand and live it. So much better than the crap
at the big box stores.

I'd lag it into a couple of studs.

I'll totally agree with what you said. But why would one want to
store an extension cord outdoors?

The wheel that broke off was just *inside* the garage, next
to the big garage door. To use it (whatever was wrapped
around it) you'd of course have to open the door (and
keep it open).

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Vic Smith wrote:

[...]

What do I mean by "rock" wall?

Well, I guess that where you live they don't build house
walls out of rock. Here, just north of NYC, they do.

The ground here is *really* rocky. BIG rocks. HARD rocks.

Dig a hole for a basement, and you end up with a large
pile of them.

And they'd use them for building maybe the first floor's
walls of a house.

(Our house was built in 1931, I think. Labor cheap then,
I guess.)

I just went down and looked. The rock is used in the outside
wall; large concrete blocks for the wall that a room is on
the other side of.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Bob F wrote:
David Combs wrote:
It was designed spin around a water faucet that was
sticking out perpendicular to the wall -- you'd screw
the female end of the hose onto a rotating extension of the
water faucet, which was the central axis of the wheel.

As you spin the wheel (via a crank attached near the outer
rim of the wheel), the hose would be pulled up off the
floor and wrap around the wheel, making for a nice
compact hose-storage system.

What *I* used it for winding on outdoor wlectric cable,
eg 100-foot long 12-guage extension cord.

Anyway, the wheel has now broken off. Actually, it
was the water-pipe going from the water faucet
to the center of whe spinning wheel (water couldn't
leak out) that snapped.

You could get the one you have welded.

Maybe not so simple. It attached (at the center)
by a hard metal tube, maybe 1/2 inch in diameter,
through which water would flow through some spinnable
connection to a male faucet that the "center end"
of the hose would screw onto. You'd then crank
(there was a crank sticking out of the side of
the weel, near the outer edge) on or off the
wheel.

Not a simple fix. Besides, I don't use it for
hose any more. (Wraps hose too tight; the flexing
not good for the hose. Doesn't seem to bother
a #12 extension cord.)

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 01:02:52 +0000 (UTC), (David
Combs) wrote:

Not a simple fix. Besides, I don't use it for
hose any more. (Wraps hose too tight; the flexing
not good for the hose. Doesn't seem to bother
a #12 extension cord.)

And don't pay attention to the anti-plastic fanatics.
I've cranked 150' of hose on and off the one I hung
on my brick wall about 7 years ago.
A Suncast, something like the WM200 here
http://hosereel.suncast.com/selector/
Check out that TWM200.
Level wind, like my baitcasting reels.
I only paid about 30 bucks for it at one of the Borgs..
Looks and works like new - and not a spot of rust on it.
The wood cleats I used don't look too good though.

--
Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 00:39:52 +0000 (UTC), (David
Combs) wrote:

http://www.rapidreel.com/product/wal...den-hose-reel/

I have the model on a stand and live it. So much better than the crap
at the big box stores.

I'd lag it into a couple of studs.

Thanks for the link!

Now a really naive questioni: what does "to lag it into" mean?

And remember, this is a ROCK wall.

There are various anchors that will hold, either with lag bolts or a
stud and nut. The hard part is boring a hole in the rock. You
probably need about 5/8" or so. Masonry bit and patience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

Yes, I've seen some of those.

But I have two #12 100' extension-cords plugged together for total
of 200'. Gotta be a pretty big reel!

And strong, too, because that much of that kind (#12) cable
weighs a bunch.

David