Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default wheel in garage for winding up hose on, broke off. Replacement?

wrote:
On 25 May 2012 02:34:31 -0400,
(David Combs) wrote:

It was designed spin around a water faucet that was
sticking out perpendicular to the wall -- you'd screw
the female end of the hose onto a rotating extension of the
water faucet, which was the central axis of the wheel.

As you spin the wheel (via a crank attached near the outer
rim of the wheel), the hose would be pulled up off the
floor and wrap around the wheel, making for a nice
compact hose-storage system.

What *I* used it for winding on outdoor wlectric cable,
eg 100-foot long 12-guage extension cord.

Anyway, the wheel has now broken off. Actually, it
was the water-pipe going from the water faucet
to the center of whe spinning wheel (water couldn't
leak out) that snapped.

Any suggestions where'd you get such a thing?

And how would you securly attach it to rock wall
(ie, the wall of the garage)?

----

Yes, I know I could have googled, etc, but since I had
just typed in two other alt-home-repair posts, it was
easier to just post this question right then and there.

So, yes, I could have found out something by myself,
but you guys here are so knowledgeable and smart, that
there'd be more information here than at any supply house.

What I'd like is a wheel 1.5 to 2 feet in diameter,
with maybe 4 or 5 inch-wide space (parallel to the
wheel's axis) where a long garden hose would fit.

(Even though my use will be for electric cable.)

Thanks for whatever suggestions you come up with!

David

They sell reels made for extension cords that are probably smaller and
more well suited for the use. You could make something from a small
piece of log and a few circles of plywood too. Then drill a hole in
the middle and use a long bolt to attach it to the wall. All hose
reels made these days are plastic garbage not worth buying.

They also sell cheap plastic cord reels that will last a year or two.

I love the cheap orange plastic cord reels that have a blach handle that slides
in a trank in the center hole. The only thing they are missing is a quick spray
of silicone lubricant to make them turn easily. I don't think I've seem one that
would handle 100 feet of 12 ga. though.