dino

Default Overhead 2car garage door winding???

Hello DIY-ers,

I have brocken torsion spring (one of two) on my 2 car garage door, 16"x7",
wood with glass panells.
I have had bought replacement pair of torsion springs. They sent me 2"
longer what I ordered. Is this going to be the problem??
Actually I have question about how many times should I wind torsion springs
to be like before??? I didn't count how many times those springs was winded
before.
Does anyone know how many times should I wind those springs?? Is this going
to make me big trouble because they are 2" longer that those old ones???
If I put in next few months more weight onto garage door (if I put
insulation, do I need to wind again those torsion springs and how many
times)???

Please send me an email to or post to this board.

Thanks in advance.

Very sincerely,

Dino K

Herb Stein

"dino" wrote in message
r.com...
[...]

Every time I've replaced, they always said to start at 7 full turns and
fine tune from there. Be VERY careful! The bars you use for winding
come out like a bat out of hell if they slip or get away from you.

I don't know about the length issue.

--
Herb Stein

Tom

What Herb said: Be VERY careful!

Tom
Work at your leisure!
m Ransley

If you never did it hire a pro . Door springs are not to learn on, a
mistake can loose you a hand.

tomcas

dino wrote:
[...]

This may help.
http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm

Rich

The extra length of the spring is going to give you less IPPT. What's going
to happen is that the door is going to be strong in the open position then
falls to the floor when you get it to come down.
Shorten the springs before you install them.

Rich
http://www.new-garage-door-parts.com

"dino" wrote in message
[...]

Chip Stein

"Rich" wrote in message news:FirNc.2341$NV3.220@trndny01...
The extra length of the spring is going to give you less IPPT. What's going
to happen is that the door is going to be strong in the open position then
falls to the floor when you get it to come down.
Shorten the springs before you install them.

give it 7 turns and lock them down, then disconnect the opener and
see if it balances at the middle position, and adjust from there. be
carefull!! if the bar comes out it's going to get exciting. we always
used 3/8" extensions, or pieces of re-bar work also.
Chip
dino

OK,

I did it.
When I disconnect from 1/2 HP motor, then I can lift all the way up easily,
but the door balance about knee hights.
Should I wind more or not?? How can I balance door now?? Is it going to make
me any trouble if it's not up to waist hight or should be more or less
open??
I wound 8 times.
When I use electric opener, the garage door open much better than before
torsion spring brake down.

Thanks for any advice.

Very sincerley,

Dino
D-Tech Service
http://www.d-tech.d2g.com

"Chip Stein" wrote in message
om...
"Rich" wrote in message

The extra length of the spring is going to give you less IPPT. What's

going
to happen is that the door is going to be strong in the open position

then
falls to the floor when you get it to come down.
Shorten the springs before you install them.

give it 7 turns and lock them down, then disconnect the opener and
see if it balances at the middle position, and adjust from there. be
carefull!! if the bar comes out it's going to get exciting. we always
used 3/8" extensions, or pieces of re-bar work also.
Chip

Joe

snip
give it 7 turns and lock them down, then disconnect the opener and
see if it balances at the middle position, and adjust from there. be
carefull!! if the bar comes out it's going to get exciting. we always
used 3/8" extensions, or pieces of re-bar work also.
Chip

Please don't put a square peg in a round hole. Cold rolled steel is
cheap.

Seven turns is usually about right for a replacement spring of the
correct IPPT (inch pounds per turn). Since the new springs are 2"
longer than the originals, they will be a bit weaker, causing the door
to be heavy on the floor and hot in the header. This can sometimes be
alleviated by "dropping" the cables one rung and may require thirty
quarters to compensate. Styrofoam insulation is light and should not
change the springs counter-balance too much.

Before starting, lock the door down, or vice grip it in place. You
don't want any unexpected mishaps. Take your time, pay attention and
study Truetex's webpage before starting, (He's done an excellent job,
and I often send my customers there if they want to know "how-to").
Just be carefull and use common sense. I don't like working around
someone elses blood after a failed attempt. I have enough of my own
blood on me, I don't want to see your's.
Joe
dino

Thank you guys for your kindly advices.
Yesterday, I have had succesfully replaced torsion springs all by myself for
first time. It wasn't so hard like I thought it would be.
I guess, nothing went wrong to give me enough trouble to take my hands off
and call someone professional to do this job.
I wound 8 times, then I tried to balance door, then I wound 1/2 turn more,
so the door balance little bit better now.
Tried to open and close many times, they work just fine. Even better than
the old ones.
Much easier is to lift door and put them down. Doesn't make so many noises
like before.
Those torsion spring even they are 2" longer, it seams to me to don't make
any diferences and problems so far. I hope they will not make trouble in
future.
If I put more weight when I insulate those doors ( I am thinking to put
stiroform on it), should I paint before with new coat of white color or
not??
They are wood with glass.
Went to that page from truetex and I was following his advice. Great source
for DIY-ers.
Thanks one more time for helping me out.
If someone of you guys need some computer & network help, let me know. Will
be more than glad to help you out.

Very sincerely,

Dino
D-Tech Service
http://www.d-tech.d2g.com

"dino" wrote in message
[...]

Joe

Dino,
You're not going to get a very good R factor out of a wood door,
but...
Most homeowners that do put styrofoam on them, usually go for the blue
backer board stuff and nail it on with roofing tacks or spray
adhesive. That serves the purpose here quite well (it doesn't get very
cold in Arkansas).
As far as painting it, that's up to you. I don't see any substantial
problems with either way you choose to do it.

Part of a service call to change your springs also involves doing a
little maintenance. Go back out there and check a few things before
you call it done.

Make sure that all of the hinges are tight, wood doors tend to loosen
the nuts over a period of time.

Check the rollers, especially the top two. If they're bad, replace
them.

Lightly oil everything that moves. Hinges, rollers, springs, and
bearings.

BTW, congratulations on a job well done.