Joe

Default Overhead 2car garage door winding???

snip
give it 7 turns and lock them down, then disconnect the opener and
see if it balances at the middle position, and adjust from there. be
carefull!! if the bar comes out it's going to get exciting. we always
used 3/8" extensions, or pieces of re-bar work also.
Chip

Please don't put a square peg in a round hole. Cold rolled steel is
cheap.

Seven turns is usually about right for a replacement spring of the
correct IPPT (inch pounds per turn). Since the new springs are 2"
longer than the originals, they will be a bit weaker, causing the door
to be heavy on the floor and hot in the header. This can sometimes be
alleviated by "dropping" the cables one rung and may require thirty
quarters to compensate. Styrofoam insulation is light and should not
change the springs counter-balance too much.

Before starting, lock the door down, or vice grip it in place. You
don't want any unexpected mishaps. Take your time, pay attention and
study Truetex's webpage before starting, (He's done an excellent job,
and I often send my customers there if they want to know "how-to").
Just be carefull and use common sense. I don't like working around
someone elses blood after a failed attempt. I have enough of my own
blood on me, I don't want to see your's.
Joe