Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which Door is Better

A steel or a fiberglass door?

Thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 May 2012 23:53:34 -0700, Kate wrote:

A steel or a fiberglass door?

Thanks.

Kate

For what purpose. Longevity? Keeping people out? Not needing
maintenance?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2012 1:53 AM, Kate wrote:
A steel or a fiberglass door?

Thanks.

Kate

They both have one minor problem. It is difficult to
fasten anything to them. I just installed 2 doors, one
steel and one fiberglass. The covering is too thin to
put nails or screws in. there is a section around the
outside where there is a wood frame, that can be used
but it is fairly narrow most of the way. There is
reinforcement where the locks and hinges are, but not
in a good place for fastening things. One of the doors
has a window and I fastened the curtain rod supports
to the outside frame, but had a problem with something
to be held in the middle. I finally used self stick
velcro for that one. The metal door I hung something
using strong magnets. I found some magnets with a
46 lb pull at Graingers for about $10 apiece. That
works as long as the weight isn't too high. If
the weight is very high they will slide.

Otherwise I don't think there is much difference between
them.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
A steel or a fiberglass door?

Thanks.

Kate

The fiberglass won't rust, the steel laughs at UV (won't rust either if you
keep it properly painted).

You can attach stuff to either with pop rivets.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 May 2012 23:53:34 -0700, Kate wrote:

A steel or a fiberglass door?

Thanks.

Kate

Which direction does it face the sun?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 May 2012 11:15:54 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 19 May 2012 23:53:34 -0700, Kate wrote:

A steel or a fiberglass door?

Thanks.

Kate

Which direction does it face the sun?

The sun is on the outside. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2012 11:15 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2012 23:53:34 -0700, wrote:

A steel or a fiberglass door?

Thanks.

Kate

Which direction does it face the sun?

It is on the East side. Gets lots of sun from early morning until
around 3P. Sorry that I did not mention that before.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 May 2012 19:23:30 -0700, Kate wrote:

On 5/20/2012 11:15 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2012 23:53:34 -0700, wrote:

A steel or a fiberglass door?

Thanks.

Kate

Which direction does it face the sun?

It is on the East side. Gets lots of sun from early morning until
around 3P. Sorry that I did not mention that before.

Being in the desert we tend to use steel doors. Mine gets direct sun
from the West in the afternoon. Temps can reach 117F during the
summer.

I've seen fiberglass doors in some homes out here. I've only seen one
that delaminated or warped in the heat. That was years ago. I suspect
they are better quality now days. Find a fiberglass door you like
online and check spec's for UV resistance.

Which door is the least expensive and which one do you like best?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 9:25*am, Bill Gill wrote:
[...]

What are you hanging on your doors that require such strong magnets?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 May 2012 23:53:34 -0700, Kate wrote:

A steel or a fiberglass door?

Thanks.

Kate

Fiberglass - hands down. No dents, better insulation, many other
reasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2012 11:15 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 20, 9:25 am, Bill wrote:
[...]

Would there be a problem attaching a brass door kick plate then?\

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 9:25 am, Bill wrote:
[...]

If you can find a plate that covers out to the frame around the
door you can screw into that with no big problem.
2 or 3 small screws into the field shouldn't be a problem when
the main edges are put into wood. Otherwise possibly a stick
on kick plate.

DerbyDad
How about a 10 pound (4.5 kg) framed poster. And on the
front door I have 3 pound (1.5 kg) door harp.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 9:25 am, Bill wrote:
[...]

LOL I have a door harp inside, but it is attached with double backed tape.

I do have a brass kick plate installed on my steel door, and it has
screws all around it. I have not had a problem with it, at all.