Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Which Door is Better

On May 20, 9:25*am, Bill Gill wrote:
On 5/20/2012 1:53 AM, Kate wrote: A steel or a fiberglass door?

Thanks.

Kate

They both have one minor problem. *It is difficult to
fasten anything to them. *I just installed 2 doors, one
steel and one fiberglass. *The covering is too thin to
put nails or screws in. *there is a section around the
outside where there is a wood frame, that can be used
but it is fairly narrow most of the way. *There is
reinforcement where the locks and hinges are, but not
in a good place for fastening things. *One of the doors
has a window and I fastened the curtain rod supports
to the outside frame, but had a problem with something
to be held in the middle. *I finally used self stick
velcro for that one. *The metal door I hung something
using strong magnets. *I found some magnets with a
46 lb pull at Graingers for about $10 apiece. *That
works as long as the weight isn't too high. *If
the weight is very high they will slide.

Otherwise I don't think there is much difference between
them.

Bill

What are you hanging on your doors that require such strong magnets?