Posted to alt.home.repair
AJL AJL is offline

Default HOA sides with thieves

On Fri, 18 May 2012 00:52:07 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

the best spent money is no doubt some low cost outdoor security
lights,

Most burglaries occur during the day.

a dog in the home,

A family pet is fine. But getting a dog just for a burglary deterrent
would be very high maintenance solution.

and some signs protected by ABC security
monitoring service, even if the home has no security system....

Agreed. Have used security signs (with no security service) for years.
Before that I used to put those foil burglar alarm strips (remember
those?) on the windows,

smart landscaping outdoors to prevent hiding spots for the bad guys
helps too.

Good idea if the neighbors watch out for you.

the steel jail bar look really accomplishes little.......

Disagree. Bars (hopefully) makes the perp go hit another easier house.

Another suggestion:

Hide your garage door opener in your car so it can't be seen. In my
area they break into your car (anywhere they find it-at work for
example), get your address from the registration, steal the garage
door opener, drive to your house, open the garage door, drive in,
lower the door and empty the house at leisure. Happened to my neighbor
and I even walked by during the burglary and was none the wiser...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 May 2012 00:52:07 -0700 (PDT), bob haller wrote:

the best spent money is no doubt some low cost outdoor security
lights, a dog in the home, and some signs protected by ABC security
monitoring service, even if the home has no security system....

smart landscaping outdoors to prevent hiding spots for the bad guys
helps too.

the steel jail bar look really accomplishes little.......

Nonsense. It is more of a deterrent than the signs. It makes the same
statement, as well as improving security (of that possible entrance).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 2:18*pm, "
wrote:
On Fri, 18 May 2012 00:52:07 -0700 (PDT), bob haller wrote:
the best spent money is no doubt some low cost outdoor security
lights, a dog in the home, and some signs protected by ABC security
monitoring service, even if the home has no security system....

smart landscaping outdoors to prevent hiding spots for the bad guys
helps too.

the steel jail bar look really accomplishes little.......

Nonsense. *It is more of a deterrent than the signs. *It makes the same
statement, as well as improving security (of that possible entrance).

while THAT one door may be slightly more secure the glass window is a
easy target just a foot or two away.

worse the wood be burglar may wonder whats so valuable for them to
install bars.

plus for safety reasons the bars must by law be easily removable......
from indoors or out...

so fireman can do their job in the event of a bad day

buy barky dog, remove plantings around foundation so bad guys dont
have cover to work behind, install security system and lights, even
motion sensitive ones, get a monitored security system...

all far more effective than bars
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 May 2012 12:42:53 -0700 (PDT), bob haller wrote:

On May 19, 2:18*pm, "
wrote:
On Fri, 18 May 2012 00:52:07 -0700 (PDT), bob haller wrote:
the best spent money is no doubt some low cost outdoor security
lights, a dog in the home, and some signs protected by ABC security
monitoring service, even if the home has no security system....

smart landscaping outdoors to prevent hiding spots for the bad guys
helps too.

the steel jail bar look really accomplishes little.......

Nonsense. *It is more of a deterrent than the signs. *It makes the same
statement, as well as improving security (of that possible entrance).

while THAT one door may be slightly more secure the glass window is a
easy target just a foot or two away.

Moron, you admitted that "some signs protected by ABC security monitoring
service" was useful. You don't think a security door won't be just as useful?

worse the wood be burglar may wonder whats so valuable for them to
install bars.

....or have a security system.

plus for safety reasons the bars must by law be easily removable......
from indoors or out...

Irrelevant.

so fireman can do their job in the event of a bad day

Bull****. The FD can pull any security devices off in seconds.

buy barky dog, remove plantings around foundation so bad guys dont
have cover to work behind, install security system and lights, even
motion sensitive ones, get a monitored security system...

Irrelevant.

all far more effective than bars

All irrelevant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:

plus for safety reasons the bars must by law be easily removable......
from indoors or out...

so fireman can do their job in the event of a bad day

What on earth makes you think burglar bars must be easily removable?

I live in a large city. Admittedly my home town is not known for nannyism,
but there are NO regulations like you suggest. Further, if the fire
department wants entry, they have equipment than can reduce burglar bars to
junk in less than thirty seconds.

On the other hand, burglar bars are a significant deterrent to cops trying
to serve a search warrant... (they have to call, and wait for, the fire
department).

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

On the other hand, burglar bars are a significant deterrent to cops trying
to serve a search warrant... (they have to call, and wait for, the fire
department).

Not always. When I working police/fire beat with a group in the late
70s, their bomb guys would come out, wrap some det cord (maybe a small
patch of plastique, my memory is fuzzy on that part), take out the
burglar bars and do a poor man's flash-bang at the same time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 8:19*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,

*"HeyBub" wrote:
On the other hand, burglar bars are a significant deterrent to cops trying
to serve a search warrant... (they have to call, and wait for, the fire
department).

Not always. When I working police/fire beat with a group in the late
70s, their bomb guys would come out, wrap some det cord (maybe a small
patch of plastique, my memory is fuzzy on that *part), take out the
burglar bars and do a poor man's flash-bang at the same time.

burglars bars must be removable from inside or outside in a emergency
like a fire.

to prevent people from dying unable to get out. in some areas its just
bedrooms, in other areas any room in the building.

bedrooms must have ingress egress windows, or the room isnt a legal
bedroom
Posted to alt.home.repair

*"HeyBub" wrote:
On the other hand, burglar bars are a significant deterrent to cops trying
to serve a search warrant... (they have to call, and wait for, the fire
department).

Not always. When I working police/fire beat with a group in the late
70s, their bomb guys would come out, wrap some det cord (maybe a small
patch of plastique, my memory is fuzzy on that *part), take out the
burglar bars and do a poor man's flash-bang at the same time.

burglars bars must be removable from inside or outside in a emergency
like a fire.

to prevent people from dying unable to get out. in some areas its just
bedrooms, in other areas any room in the building.

bedrooms must have ingress egress windows, or the room isnt a legal
bedroom

They must? Everywhere on the planet? A citation is in order.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:
On the other hand, burglar bars are a significant deterrent to cops
trying to serve a search warrant... (they have to call, and wait
for, the fire department).

Not always. When I working police/fire beat with a group in the late
70s, their bomb guys would come out, wrap some det cord (maybe a
small patch of plastique, my memory is fuzzy on that part), take out
the burglar bars and do a poor man's flash-bang at the same time.

burglars bars must be removable from inside or outside in a emergency
like a fire.

to prevent people from dying unable to get out. in some areas its just
bedrooms, in other areas any room in the building.

bedrooms must have ingress egress windows, or the room isnt a legal
bedroom

Hmmm.

According to a 2004 study (United States Fire Administration), there were
about 16 fire deaths each year attributed to burglar bars or similar
impediments. There are over two million burglaries in the U.S. each year.

You do the math for your own situation.