Posted to alt.home.repair
AJL AJL is offline

Default HOA sides with thieves

On Fri, 18 May 2012 00:52:07 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

the best spent money is no doubt some low cost outdoor security
lights,

Most burglaries occur during the day.

a dog in the home,

A family pet is fine. But getting a dog just for a burglary deterrent
would be very high maintenance solution.

and some signs protected by ABC security
monitoring service, even if the home has no security system....

Agreed. Have used security signs (with no security service) for years.
Before that I used to put those foil burglar alarm strips (remember
those?) on the windows,

smart landscaping outdoors to prevent hiding spots for the bad guys
helps too.

Good idea if the neighbors watch out for you.

the steel jail bar look really accomplishes little.......

Disagree. Bars (hopefully) makes the perp go hit another easier house.

Another suggestion:

Hide your garage door opener in your car so it can't be seen. In my
area they break into your car (anywhere they find it-at work for
example), get your address from the registration, steal the garage
door opener, drive to your house, open the garage door, drive in,
lower the door and empty the house at leisure. Happened to my neighbor
and I even walked by during the burglary and was none the wiser...