Posted to alt.home.repair

Default need advice on installing Bamboo flooring

A contractor is giving me a hard time in coming over to install Bamboo
flooring in my small kitchen ( 80 sq.ft). Tired of waiting, so I
decided to do it myself, though I have no experience, nor tools to
speak of for this endeavor. Its not the laminated type...its about a
half inch thick, with tongue and groove. I was told that I needed a
nail gun or do it by glue. My main concern is the area around the
stove and Fridge. Alone I cannot move those appliances, so I would
have to make cut outs in certain areas. Can anyone recommend how I can
do this with a tool that I most likely one time use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthony wrote:
A contractor is giving me a hard time in coming over to install Bamboo
flooring in my small kitchen ( 80 sq.ft). Tired of waiting, so I
decided to do it myself, though I have no experience, nor tools to
speak of for this endeavor. Its not the laminated type...its about a
half inch thick, with tongue and groove. I was told that I needed a
nail gun or do it by glue. My main concern is the area around the
stove and Fridge. Alone I cannot move those appliances, so I would
have to make cut outs in certain areas. Can anyone recommend how I can
do this with a tool that I most likely one time use.

Harbor Freight Multifunction Miracle Tool:
http://www.harborfreight.com/oscilla...ool-68303.html

I got (another) one last weekend, on sale, for $18.00.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/15/2012 5:54 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Anthony wrote:
A contractor is giving me a hard time in coming over to install Bamboo
flooring in my small kitchen ( 80 sq.ft). Tired of waiting, so I
decided to do it myself, though I have no experience, nor tools to
speak of for this endeavor. Its not the laminated type...its about a
half inch thick, with tongue and groove. I was told that I needed a
nail gun or do it by glue. My main concern is the area around the
stove and Fridge. Alone I cannot move those appliances, so I would
have to make cut outs in certain areas. Can anyone recommend how I can
do this with a tool that I most likely one time use.

Harbor Freight Multifunction Miracle Tool:
http://www.harborfreight.com/oscilla...ool-68303.html

I got (another) one last weekend, on sale, for $18.00.

What's the surface on bamboo flooring?
I tried to cut laminate with aluminum oxide surface.
It dulls the harbor freight multi-function tool INSTANTLY.
And I do mean INSTANTLY.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/15/2012 7:34 PM, Anthony wrote:
A contractor is giving me a hard time in coming over to install Bamboo
flooring in my small kitchen ( 80 sq.ft). Tired of waiting, so I
decided to do it myself, though I have no experience, nor tools to
speak of for this endeavor. Its not the laminated type...its about a
half inch thick, with tongue and groove. I was told that I needed a
nail gun or do it by glue. My main concern is the area around the
stove and Fridge. Alone I cannot move those appliances, so I would
have to make cut outs in certain areas. Can anyone recommend how I can
do this with a tool that I most likely one time use.

Find a *reputable* flooring store in your area. They'll likely have it
installed in 30 days or less. No hassles either!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 May 2012 16:34:33 -0700 (PDT), Anthony
wrote:

A contractor is giving me a hard time in coming over to install Bamboo
flooring in my small kitchen ( 80 sq.ft). Tired of waiting, so I
decided to do it myself, though I have no experience, nor tools to
speak of for this endeavor. Its not the laminated type...its about a
half inch thick, with tongue and groove. I was told that I needed a
nail gun or do it by glue. My main concern is the area around the
stove and Fridge. Alone I cannot move those appliances, so I would
have to make cut outs in certain areas. Can anyone recommend how I can
do this with a tool that I most likely one time use.

DO NOT cut out around the applianced. Move them, if it means buying
bear for friends, or hiring a mover. If you are capable of installing
the flooring you are capable of moving the appliances.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have no wood working tools or experience do have the money to buy new
flooring and have the flooring you installed ripped out because I don't see
this going well.

It may seem like a simple jigsaw puzzle, but the devil is in the details.

First you have to move the appliances. I fyou don't you never be able to
move them since now they will have to be lifted up onto the new floor.
Next lay out the floor properly.
Then remove any existing trim that is getting in the way. Being careful if
you need to reuse it.
Under cut the door way trim so the new flooring is underneath.
Lay the floor right keeping the joints properly staggered.
Use the right glue (if the floor can be installed as a glue down floor) or
the proper flooring gun with a compressor. If gluing down don't forget the
rosin paper or tar paper.
Cut the boards at the end of each run. Note you will need a chop saw with a
good carbide tipped blade.
Use a table saw to rip the last board to width
and then finish it with the appropriate shoe molding coping the joints in
the corners.

Not trying to be harsh at all but do you have any of these skills?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthony wrote:
[...]

So, what did YOU use to cut the planks?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 10:24*pm, "Cliff H" wrote:
[...]

Thank you Cliff for a very informative advice. No, I do not have those
skills you speak of LOL..Fortunately as I was writing this, my
contractor called and said he would finally make it this weekend.
Phew!!! That's load off my mind. His truck needed a new transmission
was the reason for the holdup..would have been nice if he had told me
that in the first place...go figure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
A contractor is giving me a hard time in coming over to install Bamboo
flooring in my small kitchen ( 80 sq.ft). Tired of waiting, so I
decided to do it myself, though I have no experience, nor tools to
speak of for this endeavor. Its not the laminated type...its about a
half inch thick, with tongue and groove. I was told that I needed a
nail gun or do it by glue. My main concern is the area around the
stove and Fridge. Alone I cannot move those appliances, so I would
have to make cut outs in certain areas. Can anyone recommend how I can
do this with a tool that I most likely one time use.

*DO NOT cut out around the applianced. Move them, if it means *buying
bear for friends, or hiring a mover.

Is that bear fried or made into a stew?

Agree that he should not be cutting flooring to go
around the stove and fridge. And unless he has
reasonable skills, probably better to find an installer

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthony wrote:
[...]

Contractors have a book. It contains several hundred complicated, but
believable, excuses for not making appointments. The one at the top of the
page I saw was "My ex-wife set my truck on fire."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthony wrote:
[...]

Took me 4 carbide radial arm saw blades and a handful of jigsaw
blades to do 900sq ft. And I ran 'em
until they were doing more burning than cutting.

Mistake was to let the boards hang over the opening to the crawl space.
Figured I'd just come back and trim 'em.
BIG mistake.
Wore out two HF multifunction blades in the first inch.
Not enough depth clearance for the stroke of a jig saw.
Ended up sitting on the dirt with a face mask and respirator
using a router to trim the opening. Ruined a router bit too.

Bottom line; cut everything just right before you install it.
Aluminum oxide is VERY hard on cutting tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2012 12:25 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Anthony wrote:
On May 15, 10:24 pm, "Cliff wrote:
[...]

How about, my grandmother died.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

Contractors have a book. It contains several hundred complicated, but
believable, excuses for not making appointments. The one at the top
of the page I saw was "My ex-wife set my truck on fire."

How about, my grandmother died.

That's probably in the book, along with "My cat was vomiting blood," "There
was a bomb threat across the street and the cops locked down the whole
block," "I found out my mother had 'SON' tattooed on her biceps," and "One
of my ducks got out of the pen and bothered the rabbit near to death!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
A contractor is giving me a hard time in coming over to install Bamboo
flooring in my small kitchen ( 80 sq.ft). Tired of waiting, so I
decided to do it myself, though I have no experience, nor tools to
speak of for this endeavor. Its not the laminated type...its about a
half inch thick, with tongue and groove. I was told that I needed a
nail gun or do it by glue. My main concern is the area around the
stove and Fridge. Alone I cannot move those appliances, so I would
have to make cut outs in certain areas. Can anyone recommend how I can
do this with a tool that I most likely one time use.

Â*DO NOT cut out around the applianced. Move them, if it means Â*buying
bear for friends, or hiring a mover.

Is that bear fried or made into a stew?

Soory - make tha "bear whizz" -- AKA beer.

Bamboo flooring D.M. Procida UK diy 16 February 9th 09 08:51 PM
bamboo flooring franz frippl Home Repair 5 November 7th 07 02:13 AM
Bamboo flooring Earl in Jax Woodworking 3 February 27th 07 03:12 AM
bamboo flooring [email protected] Home Ownership 2 November 9th 06 08:00 AM
Bamboo flooring Eigenvector Home Repair 18 August 21st 06 02:47 PM