Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bamboo flooring

Does anyone have (long-term) experience of using bamboo flooring in a
bathroom, and has it proved to be satisfactory?

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
Does anyone have (long-term) experience of using bamboo flooring in a
bathroom, and has it proved to be satisfactory?

Daniele

No practical experience of bamboo but IMHO the only practical floorings
for wet areas are ceramic floor tiles or vinyl sealed to the edges.
Wood and water do not mix no matter how many precautions and coats of
sealer.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:
Does anyone have (long-term) experience of using bamboo flooring in a
bathroom, and has it proved to be satisfactory?

Daniele

No practical experience of bamboo but IMHO the only practical floorings
for wet areas are ceramic floor tiles or vinyl sealed to the edges.
Wood and water do not mix no matter how many precautions and coats of
sealer.

Surely it depends on usage? I'd agree if you have lots of careless kids
and you don't mop up immediately - but many can use a bathroom without
ending up with lots of water on the floor. A bath mat will be fine for
most.

Ceramic tile floors are a new thing really - most Victorian houses had
wood floors in their bathrooms and seemed to have survived.

Bob

--
*Indian Driver - Smoke signals only*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Minchin writes:
No practical experience of bamboo but IMHO the only practical floorings
for wet areas are ceramic floor tiles or vinyl sealed to the edges.

Would just say that ceramic can be very slippery with fet feet,
and I'd be careful of this with any elderly/infirm person.
(Possibly applies to most surfaces.)

Wood and water do not mix no matter how many precautions and coats of
sealer.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Feb, 12:01, Bob Minchin wrote:

Wood and water do not mix no matter how many precautions and coats of
sealer.

I think that's a bit of a sweeping statement to make. Boats and ships
were made of wood for a good few millennia, and elm was used for water
pipes for a long time. A lot of older bathroom fittings (I'm thinking
Victorian) are mahogany and teak, and I've come across teak-floored
modern bathrooms.

Mark you, I wouldn't want to holystone my bathroom floor every day.

Cheers,

Sid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

Does anyone have (long-term) experience of using bamboo flooring in a
bathroom, and has it proved to be satisfactory?

No practical experience of bamboo but IMHO the only practical floorings
for wet areas are ceramic floor tiles or vinyl sealed to the edges.
Wood and water do not mix no matter how many precautions and coats of
sealer.

The (painted) floorboards in the main bathoom have been happy for many
years. The new bathroom will be for adults only, and will be
considerably less splashed-in than the other.

Are floorboards especially water-tolerant?

If we did use bamboo, there'd be a step up to the bathroom, the bamboo
being thicker than the flooring on the landing. How would one normally
deal with that?

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

In article ,
Bob Minchin writes:
No practical experience of bamboo but IMHO the only practical floorings
for wet areas are ceramic floor tiles or vinyl sealed to the edges.

Would just say that ceramic can be very slippery with fet feet,
and I'd be careful of this with any elderly/infirm person.
(Possibly applies to most surfaces.)

You can get textured ceramic - would that be better?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Bob Minchin writes:
No practical experience of bamboo but IMHO the only practical floorings
for wet areas are ceramic floor tiles or vinyl sealed to the edges.

Would just say that ceramic can be very slippery with fet feet,
and I'd be careful of this with any elderly/infirm person.
(Possibly applies to most surfaces.)

Wood and water do not mix no matter how many precautions and coats of
sealer.

Andrew makes a very good point. You can get textured surface tiles for
such applications. I have these and the grip with bare wet feet on the
tiles is very good.
BTW tiles bought in France (even with a weak pound) are much cheaper and
they have a huge selection. Tiled floors are much more popular there
hence a bigger volume market.
I've added home brewed low voltage underfloor heating for a very
comfortable effect.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Feb, 12:51, (D.M.
Procida) wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Does anyone have (long-term) experience of using bamboo flooring in a
bathroom, and has it proved to be satisfactory?

No practical experience of bamboo but IMHO the only practical floorings
for wet areas are ceramic floor tiles or vinyl sealed to the edges.
Wood and water do not mix no matter how many precautions and coats of
sealer.

The (painted) floorboards in the main bathoom have been happy for many
years. The new bathroom will be for adults only, and will be
considerably less splashed-in than the other.

Are floorboards especially water-tolerant?

If we did use bamboo, there'd be a step up to the bathroom, the bamboo
being thicker than the flooring on the landing. How would one normally
deal with that?

Daniele

With ceramic tiles over 9mm ply, I've just made a sloping cill at the
door.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Bob Minchin writes:
No practical experience of bamboo but IMHO the only practical
floorings for wet areas are ceramic floor tiles or vinyl sealed to
the edges.

Would just say that ceramic can be very slippery with fet feet,
and I'd be careful of this with any elderly/infirm person.
(Possibly applies to most surfaces.)

Wood and water do not mix no matter how many precautions and coats of
sealer.

Andrew makes a very good point. You can get textured surface tiles for
such applications. I have these and the grip with bare wet feet on the
tiles is very good.

The downside is the dirt gets in the cracks and you need to use a
scrubbing brush to clean em.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

D.M. Procida wrote:
Does anyone have (long-term) experience of using bamboo flooring in a
bathroom, and has it proved to be satisfactory?

Daniele

We considered exactly that question a few years ago.

The bamboo gives every impression of being fairly moisture tolerant (I
did things like soak samples for short periods). But I was concerned
that if a small hole developed in the finish, water could get through
and soak in. But, because it has a finish, the water might be somewhat
trapped. (With bare floorboards, they can easily get wet, but should dry
out relatively easily.)

I used some of the samples to make a few odds and ends which have been
in use in the cold, unheated garage for at least three years without any
apparent deterioration.

In the end, for various reasons, we decided against it - but I would
certainly consider it again if circumstances change.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 8, 6:19*pm, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Would just say that ceramic can be very slippery with fet feet,
and I'd be careful of this with any elderly/infirm person.
(Possibly applies to most surfaces.)

Yes, it's surprising how many floors are very slippery when wet. I
frequently stay in hotels with outrageously slippery bathroom floors.

--
Nige Danton

Bamboo flooring Earl in Jax Woodworking 3 February 27th 07 03:12 AM
bamboo flooring [email protected] Home Ownership 2 November 9th 06 08:00 AM
Bamboo flooring Eigenvector Home Repair 18 August 21st 06 02:47 PM
Bamboo Flooring Gary Dean Woodworking 12 June 24th 05 03:00 AM
Bamboo Flooring Kriz265490 UK diy 1 March 23rd 04 07:07 PM