Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bamboo flooring

For installing 5/8" solid bamboo T&G flooring, should I use cleats or
staples?

Also, will bamboo work over radiant floor tubing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cshenk" wrote in message

"franz frippl" wrote

We didnt get the place for several reasons bt one of them was the warnings
about how the stuff was softer than even the soft pine commonly used
there, very easily damaged. While you cant wear shoes indoors there in
most places because the flooring materials are very soft and will damage
from them (even sneakers are a no-no), we were told the care of the bamboo
area was quite delicate. Very subject to dampness and cleaning was to
only be done with a damp towel, wiped dry immediately.

Can't comment on the material you saw being worked, but bamboo itself is a
very hard material. Most of the commercial flooring stuff is in line with
hardwoods when it comes to durability.

On a somewhat related note, I recall trying to help a neighbor remove some
unwanted bamboo growing from their back yard. The stalks were probably 3-4"
in diameter, and I bounced a sharp axe head off them a few times before I
realized something much more substantial would be needed to get rid of this
stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mamba" wrote

On a somewhat related note, I recall trying to help a neighbor remove some
unwanted bamboo growing from their back yard. The stalks were probably
3-4" in diameter, and I bounced a sharp axe head off them a few times
before I realized something much more substantial would be needed to get
rid of this stuff.

And cutting it down will not get rid of it.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

franz frippl wrote:
For installing 5/8" solid bamboo T&G flooring, should I use cleats or
staples?

Also, will bamboo work over radiant floor tubing?

The installation instructions for the particular product will describe
appropriate detail for all approved applications/installations including
whether it is considered suitable for radiant heating.

Check on the manufacturer's site or the product packaging.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"franz frippl" wrote

For installing 5/8" solid bamboo T&G flooring, should I use cleats or
staples?

While apartment hunting in Japan, one place was having the flor redone with
what they said was a bamboo material. They had little things (very small)
that looked like caltrops (3 feet down, 1 up) on a sort of formed chipped
wood looking base. They tamped the little 'caltrops' into that which was
fairly soft then gently tamped the bamboo 'boards' into it, if that makes
sense. This was being done only as a boarder material around a tatami room.

We didnt get the place for several reasons bt one of them was the warnings
about how the stuff was softer than even the soft pine commonly used there,
very easily damaged. While you cant wear shoes indoors there in most places
because the flooring materials are very soft and will damage from them (even
sneakers are a no-no), we were told the care of the bamboo area was quite
delicate. Very subject to dampness and cleaning was to only be done with a
damp towel, wiped dry immediately.

Also, will bamboo work over radiant floor tubing?

I have no way to know if the type is the same as what I saw, but if so, then
not a good idea. The temp changes would create condensation and the stuff
was very subject to dampness damage we were told. It was however very unique
and lovely looking!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mamba" wrote .
"Cshenk" wrote in message .

"franz frippl" wrote

We didnt get the place for several reasons bt one of them was the
warnings about how the stuff was softer than even the soft pine commonly
used

Can't comment on the material you saw being worked, but bamboo itself is a
very hard material. Most of the commercial flooring stuff is in line with
hardwoods when it comes to durability.

Worth metioning though so he knows now to check. No way to tell if it is
the same'material'

On a somewhat related note, I recall trying to help a neighbor remove some
unwanted bamboo growing from their back yard. The stalks were probably
3-4" in diameter, and I bounced a sharp axe head off them a few times
before I realized something much more substantial would be needed to get
rid of this stuff.

hehehe. May types and yes, it can be hard to get rid of.

Bamboo flooring Earl in Jax Woodworking 3 February 27th 07 03:12 AM
bamboo flooring [email protected] Home Ownership 2 November 9th 06 08:00 AM
Bamboo Flooring Gary Dean Woodworking 12 June 24th 05 03:00 AM
Bamboo Flooring [email protected] Woodworking 7 June 23rd 05 11:54 AM
Bamboo Flooring Kriz265490 UK diy 1 March 23rd 04 07:07 PM