Posted to alt.home.repair
Cshenk Cshenk is offline

Default bamboo flooring

"franz frippl" wrote

For installing 5/8" solid bamboo T&G flooring, should I use cleats or
staples?

While apartment hunting in Japan, one place was having the flor redone with
what they said was a bamboo material. They had little things (very small)
that looked like caltrops (3 feet down, 1 up) on a sort of formed chipped
wood looking base. They tamped the little 'caltrops' into that which was
fairly soft then gently tamped the bamboo 'boards' into it, if that makes
sense. This was being done only as a boarder material around a tatami room.

We didnt get the place for several reasons bt one of them was the warnings
about how the stuff was softer than even the soft pine commonly used there,
very easily damaged. While you cant wear shoes indoors there in most places
because the flooring materials are very soft and will damage from them (even
sneakers are a no-no), we were told the care of the bamboo area was quite
delicate. Very subject to dampness and cleaning was to only be done with a
damp towel, wiped dry immediately.

Also, will bamboo work over radiant floor tubing?

I have no way to know if the type is the same as what I saw, but if so, then
not a good idea. The temp changes would create condensation and the stuff
was very subject to dampness damage we were told. It was however very unique
and lovely looking!