Posted to alt.home.repair
Mamba Mamba is offline

Default bamboo flooring

"Cshenk" wrote in message

"franz frippl" wrote

We didnt get the place for several reasons bt one of them was the warnings
about how the stuff was softer than even the soft pine commonly used
there, very easily damaged. While you cant wear shoes indoors there in
most places because the flooring materials are very soft and will damage
from them (even sneakers are a no-no), we were told the care of the bamboo
area was quite delicate. Very subject to dampness and cleaning was to
only be done with a damp towel, wiped dry immediately.

Can't comment on the material you saw being worked, but bamboo itself is a
very hard material. Most of the commercial flooring stuff is in line with
hardwoods when it comes to durability.

On a somewhat related note, I recall trying to help a neighbor remove some
unwanted bamboo growing from their back yard. The stalks were probably 3-4"
in diameter, and I bounced a sharp axe head off them a few times before I
realized something much more substantial would be needed to get rid of this
stuff.