Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Faucet handle too tight

I have this type of faucet:
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/a...d/5AECE2F7.jpg

One of the handles is tight. When I turn it, the whole stem turns
unless I hold the stem with a hand. I pried open the small top cap.
Loosened the nut inside with a flat-blade screwdriver. But I can't
pull out or pull up anything. What else should I do? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 4:18*pm, yong321 wrote:
I have this type of faucet:http://www.americanstandard-us.com/a...tions/landing/...

One of the handles is tight. When I turn it, the whole stem turns
unless I hold the stem with a hand. I pried open the small top cap.
Loosened the nut inside with a flat-blade screwdriver. But I can't
pull out or pull up anything. What else should I do? Thanks.

The stem is supposed to turn, do you mean the bezel that surrounds the
stem?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 May 2012 18:55:25 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On May 4, 4:18*pm, yong321 wrote:
I have this type of faucet:
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/a...tions/landing/...

One of the handles is tight. When I turn it, the whole stem turns
unless I hold the stem with a hand. I pried open the small top cap.
Loosened the nut inside with a flat-blade screwdriver. But I can't
pull out or pull up anything. What else should I do? Thanks.

The stem is supposed to turn, do you mean the bezel that surrounds the
stem?

Maybe the whole sink turns when he turns the faucet handle

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 8:55*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On May 4, 4:18*pm, yong321 wrote:

I have this type of faucet:http://www.americanstandard-us.com/a...d/5AECE2F7.jpg

The stem is supposed to turn, do you mean the bezel that surrounds the
stem?

Bob,

Thanks for the correction. I was referring to the whole metal piece:
the handle, stem and bezel (the bulb-shaped part in the picture),
unless I hold the bezel with a hand.

There's some greenish rust inside the stem. Maybe I can try white
vinegar?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yong,

It sounds as if the faucet is not screwed tightly to the sink. The
installation videos may help you. They are on this page.

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/b...rescent-spout/

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 11:37*am, "Dave M." wrote:
Yong,

* *It sounds as if the faucet is not screwed tightly to the sink. The
installation videos may help you. They are on this page.

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/b...pton-widesprea...

Dave M.

Dave,

I know I could screw the faucet more tightly to the sink. But turning
the handle still needs some force because it's tight. That's why I
want to open it and see where it's stuck.

The link you gave me is helpful. Thank you. According to the
"Installation Instructions":
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/a...nstall_555.pdf
step 10, after I undo the handle screw (part 3), I should be able to
pull the handle base (2) off of the adapter (1). I tried. No luck. I
dripped some white vinegar into the handle hole, and around some seams
(between lever ball and base, and under the base). I may try WD-40
later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yong,

Try to lever the handle base off. Protect the sink with a cloth or some
paper towels. Place the tips of 2 teaspoons under the handle base. The
teaspoons should be about 180 deg. from each other. Press down on the
teaspoon handles. The teaspoons are both lever and fulcrum. Don't use your
wifes good set of tableware.
When you get this thing apart use some plumber's grease on the threads of
the stem. Plumber's grease is non-toxic.

Dave M.