Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Faucet shuts tight, but water runs for about 10sec

My kitchen faucet shuts tight. However, after closing it the water
continues to run for about 10 sec before stopping.

This started when the dishwasher was replaced yesterday. Any
suggesttions for getting the faucet to work properly?

thanks
axman

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

Could be that debris has gotten in the valve. I suggest taking apart the
faucet and giving it a good cleaning. Other than that I can't see how
changing the DW could otherwise cause this problem. But since it occurred at
this point it would be my first guess.

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

Try spraying your sprayer hose and purging the air out if it and see if the
problem goes away.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
ups.com...
My kitchen faucet shuts tight. However, after closing it the water
continues to run for about 10 sec before stopping.

This started when the dishwasher was replaced yesterday. Any
suggesttions for getting the faucet to work properly?

thanks
axman

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

the water continues to run for about 10 sec before stopping

a pretty good stream

I would say that the amount of water is what is in the spout that
drains out

That must be one _very_ spout.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker LT wrote:
Try spraying your sprayer hose and purging the air out if it and see if the
problem goes away.

--
Steve Barker

I went back and ran the sprayer more thoroughly this time, even checked
under the nozzle. Apparently no effect. It does appear that I
misestimated the run-on time- it is closer to 5sec than 10. the volume
is about 2-4 oz.

Haven't figured it out yet.

axman

wrote in message
ups.com...
My kitchen faucet shuts tight. However, after closing it the water
continues to run for about 10 sec before stopping.

This started when the dishwasher was replaced yesterday. Any
suggesttions for getting the faucet to work properly?

thanks
axman

Posted to alt.home.repair
JohnH

Are the airator screens still in place? Any teenagers in the house
with red eyes nowdays?

Posted to alt.home.repair

JohnH wrote:
Are the airator screens still in place? Any teenagers in the house
with red eyes nowdays?

The aerator screen rings a bell- itis in place. However, when I turned
the water on a lot of rust came out. So I cleaned the aerator and
flushed the pipes by watering the lawn. I am pretty sure I put the
aerator back together. How can the aerator affect things?

thanks
axman

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

Red eyes? Aerator screens as contacts is now a fashion statement or
am I not getting it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
JohnH

The aerator uses surface tension to keep water in the faucet. If not
properly in place, water will drool past for a few seconds, just as you
describe.

As for the "red eyes" statement - the brass screens inside aerators are
sometimes "borrowed" to make bongs