Posted to alt.home.repair

Default One handle bathtub faucet

I'm in a hotel now and afaict, I can only get hot water in the
bathtub, shower or bath, if the water is on full blast.

I can't tell what brand it is.

Do fixtures like this cost less money? Break less often?

It seems a hotel would want to save money on hot water (especially
since they don't change the sheets or the towels unless you
affirmatively indicate you want that)
Posted to alt.home.repair

AC wrote:
I'm in a hotel now and afaict, I can only get hot water in the
bathtub, shower or bath, if the water is on full blast.

I can't tell what brand it is.

Do fixtures like this cost less money? Break less often?

It seems a hotel would want to save money on hot water (especially
since they don't change the sheets or the towels unless you
affirmatively indicate you want that)

Hi,
They come with lifetime warranty. My house' 4 bathrooms all has them.
for 16 years no problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 21:16:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

AC wrote:
I'm in a hotel now and afaict, I can only get hot water in the
bathtub, shower or bath, if the water is on full blast.

I can't tell what brand it is.

Do fixtures like this cost less money? Break less often?

It seems a hotel would want to save money on hot water (especially
since they don't change the sheets or the towels unless you
affirmatively indicate you want that)

Hi,
They come with lifetime warranty. My house' 4 bathrooms all has them.
for 16 years no problem.

So youre saying they are willing to waste all that water just so there
is no maintenance?

Do the other ones breaK that much?
Posted to alt.home.repair

The single handle faucets all have a anti scald valve, so that if
another faucet drwas cold water you dont get burned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
The single handle faucets all have a anti scald valve, so that if
another faucet drwas cold water you dont get burned.

Perhaps all new faucets, but many older ones do not have that feature.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

AC wrote:
I'm in a hotel now and afaict, I can only get hot water in the
bathtub, shower or bath, if the water is on full blast.

I can't tell what brand it is.

Do fixtures like this cost less money? Break less often?

It seems a hotel would want to save money on hot water (especially
since they don't change the sheets or the towels unless you
affirmatively indicate you want that)

Hi,
They come with lifetime warranty. My house' 4 bathrooms all has them.
for 16 years no problem.

So youre saying they are willing to waste all that water just so there
is no maintenance?

You match it up with a quality low flow shower head. The single handle
valves greatly limit the ability for say an elderly person or a very
young person to scald themselves because you can't just turn on the hot
water. Also at some point they were all required to have an internal
anti-scald valve that interrupts the hot water flow if there is no cold
water.

Do the other ones breaK that much?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

AC wrote:
I'm in a hotel now and afaict, I can only get hot water in the
bathtub, shower or bath, if the water is on full blast.

I can't tell what brand it is.

Do fixtures like this cost less money? Break less often?

It seems a hotel would want to save money on hot water (especially
since they don't change the sheets or the towels unless you
affirmatively indicate you want that)

Hi,
They come with lifetime warranty. My house' 4 bathrooms all has them.
for 16 years no problem.

So youre saying they are willing to waste all that water just so there
is no maintenance?

Do the other ones breaK that much?

For the maximum 4 showers per day or so per room, to avoid a scalding
lawsuit, they consider it cheap insurance. Not a fan of low-flow
showerheads, but even with good ones, you need high pressure to even
make them tolerable. Most hotels have lousy showers, and people don't
stay in the shower very long. Head too low on the wall is the usual sin,
and if they have a 'massaging' shower head, it is usually so tea-kettled
with crud that you can't change the settings. (Had one self destruct in
my hands once- managed to snap it back together so I wouldn't have to
risk getting charged for it.)

When I get a hotel with a good shower, I remember them for next time,
and actually bother to fill out the little comment card thanking them.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

AC wrote the following:
I'm in a hotel now and afaict, I can only get hot water in the
bathtub, shower or bath, if the water is on full blast.

I can't tell what brand it is.

Do fixtures like this cost less money? Break less often?

It seems a hotel would want to save money on hot water (especially
since they don't change the sheets or the towels unless you
affirmatively indicate you want that)

Ask one of the housekeepers to show you how it works, or to determine if
it is broken.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"AC" wrote in message
I'm in a hotel now and afaict, I can only get hot water in the
bathtub, shower or bath, if the water is on full blast.

I can't tell what brand it is.

Do fixtures like this cost less money? Break less often?

It seems a hotel would want to save money on hot water (especially
since they don't change the sheets or the towels unless you
affirmatively indicate you want that)

Try tuning the water on slowly. Cold comes first and the wider you open the
valve the warmer it should get.

These darn new fangled contraptions make it tough on a country boy.

smile

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

AC wrote:
I'm in a hotel now and afaict, I can only get hot water in the
bathtub, shower or bath, if the water is on full blast.

I can't tell what brand it is.

Do fixtures like this cost less money? Break less often?

It seems a hotel would want to save money on hot water (especially
since they don't change the sheets or the towels unless you
affirmatively indicate you want that)

Hi,
They come with lifetime warranty. My house' 4 bathrooms all has them.
for 16 years no problem.

So youre saying they are willing to waste all that water just so there
is no maintenance?

Do the other ones breaK that much?

Hi,
Waste water? What do you ,eam? It can adjust wate temp and flow volume.
Ours are Delta Monitor series. Been long time I saw two faucets on a
bath tub in hotels. Maybe at ancient two-star places.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

AC wrote:
[...]

'Scald-proof' hotel ones don't work like that. To get anything
resembling warm water, you have to crank the lever over. You can't have
a thin stream of hot water. It opens the cold side first, then mixes in
hot. I know exactly what he is talking about, and I hate them.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 10:49:34 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"AC" wrote in message
.. .
I'm in a hotel now and afaict, I can only get hot water in the
bathtub, shower or bath, if the water is on full blast.

I can't tell what brand it is.

Do fixtures like this cost less money? Break less often?

It seems a hotel would want to save money on hot water (especially
since they don't change the sheets or the towels unless you
affirmatively indicate you want that)

Try tuning the water on slowly. Cold comes first and the wider you open the
valve the warmer it should get.

That's true, but after turning it a little bit, the water flow reaches
maxiumum and there is no way to lessen the flow, except by turning
back to the start, where the water is ice-cold.

These darn new fangled contraptions make it tough on a country boy.

smile

But they make it so hard.

Mike, who posted on a friend's computer as AC.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 13:11:50 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

wrote:

AC wrote:
[...]

I'm not objecting to one-handle faucets, but to those with only
full-blast water output.

'Scald-proof' hotel ones don't work like that. To get anything
resembling warm water, you have to crank the lever over. You can't have
a thin stream of hot water. It opens the cold side first, then mixes in
hot. I know exactly what he is talking about, and I hate them.

Yes, that's it. I don't think I've seen one of these some some gym
shower decades ago.

And there certainly was no lo-flow shower head. The water pressure
wasn't enough to knock me over, but it was getting there. It was
adjustable from course to fine, but going to fine made it a bunch of
needles. Coarse was more tolerable.

There are good reasons to want low-flow but not totally cold, and even
to want totally hot-flow, neither of which would come from this
faucet. When I take a bath, it's not so much that the water gets
colder, but I get used to it and it starts to feel colder and I need
to add a small amount of hot water only to warm the bath. Now not
many people take baths anymore, and hotels are probably happy to
discourage baths including long baths, but they don't really
discourage long showers this way. One can back away from the shower so
it's not such an attack anymore. And even for a regular length
shower, it used a lot of water, and a lot of hot water.

AEM's reason, that they want to avoid scalding someone, is a good one,
but if we can send a man to the moon, surely we can adjust both the
temp and the flow and limit the temp at the same time. In fact,
doesn't the Delta Monitor Tony refers to do all that?

Mike, who used a friend's computer in the OP.

Leaking bathtub faucet hd Home Repair 2 July 30th 09 11:34 PM
Bathtub handle spins 360 degrees -- water shuts off if in the rightspot TimBooher Home Repair 0 January 22nd 08 05:23 AM
Single handle to two handle tub faucet conversion null Home Repair 4 April 18th 06 03:34 PM
Bathtub faucet handle is stuck Higgins Home Repair 9 November 20th 04 10:44 PM