Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question for a worldly electrician

I just saw a TV commercial. It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. I never leave the
recliner.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/25/2012 9:41 AM, Metspitzer wrote:

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

One has no bearing on the other...the choices came for different reasons
in different locales.

As only one example, Napoleon decreed right-hand rule in all occupied
countries which follows to the day in the Low Countries, Switzerland,
Germany, Italy, Poland and Spain. Not a one of them uses US-style
electric outlets.

http://www.travel-images.com/electric-plugs.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
I just saw a TV commercial. It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. I never leave the
recliner.

Hiii,
Asia where? Asia is big place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

here is another site with good voltage & plug info

http://kropla.com/electric2.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 10:41*am, Metspitzer wrote:
I just saw a TV commercial. *It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. *At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. *The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. *I never leave the
recliner. *

Japan uses outlets and switches very much like North American ones, I
presume owing to the American administration following WWII, having
resisted the European colonization of, oh, everywhere else. A lot of
the outlets are only two-prong but apparently the three-prongs are
becoming more common. Wikipedia tells us that the actual size specs
are a little different but they certainly look the same.

Trivia question du jour: name another drive-on-the-left place which
the US took (and retains) control of and *didn't* bother to change the
road rules.

You sure the ad was set outside North America? Was there anything else
that might give it away? Money? Cars? Skinny little cans of Coke or a
bottle of Calpis?

Chip C

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 09:14:48 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
I just saw a TV commercial. It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. I never leave the
recliner.

Hiii,
Asia where? Asia is big place.

It was a TV commercial
The structure looked similar to these.
https://www.google.com/search?q=asia...iw=978&bih=726

If you can't follow the link, turn off word wrap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 3:41*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I just saw a TV commercial. *It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. *At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. *The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. *I never leave the
recliner. *

You can ponder on this:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_outlet
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 10:54*am, Chip C wrote:
[...]

What's the answer????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 08:54:22 -0700, Chip C wrote:
Japan uses outlets and switches very much like North American ones

Across the whole country? I thought that half of it was still 50Hz AC and
half 60Hz (presumably for "historical reasons"), so I'm surprised that
there aren't different outlet styles for each (not that the frequency
difference should matter in most cases, but there will be a few
exceptions)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 09:11:44 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Apr 25, 3:41*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I just saw a TV commercial. *It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. *At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. *The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. *I never leave the
recliner. *

You can ponder on this:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_outlet

"Types in present use" was very informative at a glance.
There seems to be less of a standard than I expected.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 10:41:15 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

I just saw a TV commercial. It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. I never leave the
recliner.

Parts of Japan and Korea use the american style parallel blade
outlets, for sure. Not sure about anywhere else in Asia
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Apr 25, 3:41*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I just saw a TV commercial. *It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. *At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. *The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. *I never leave the
recliner. *

You can ponder on this:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_outlet

"Types in present use" was very informative at a glance.
There seems to be less of a standard than I expected.

There are several different outlets in Europe alone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/2012 9:41 AM, Metspitzer wrote:
I just saw a TV commercial. It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. I never leave the
recliner.

This was an American commercial, and you are worried about its
authenticity? I mean, the whole thing is a fake, probably including
what ever they were advertising, so why should they try to make it
right? I think I saw a small amount of that commercial, but I
have no idea to what they were advertising.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 08:13:09 -0500, Bill Gill
wrote:

On 4/25/2012 9:41 AM, Metspitzer wrote:
I just saw a TV commercial. It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. I never leave the
recliner.

This was an American commercial, and you are worried about its
authenticity? I mean, the whole thing is a fake, probably including
what ever they were advertising, so why should they try to make it
right? I think I saw a small amount of that commercial, but I
have no idea to what they were advertising.

Bill

For the record, I am not worried about anything. Did you read the
part about never having to leave the recliner?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/2012 10:41 AM, Metspitzer wrote:
I just saw a TV commercial. It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. I never leave the
recliner.

Can't speak about electric but it brought up driving question and here
is the world chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Co...t_or_right.svg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just saw a TV commercial. It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. I never leave the
recliner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktmSFpXH7js
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just saw a TV commercial. It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. I never leave the
recliner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktmSFpXH7js

I love a good cat fight, but they could have prevented the fight by
installing a duplex receptacle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just saw a TV commercial. It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. I never leave the
recliner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktmSFpXH7js

I love a good cat fight, but they could have prevented the fight by
installing a duplex receptacle.

OR if they had just been in the kitchen preparing dinner.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Apr 25, 10:41*am, Metspitzer wrote:
I just saw a TV commercial. *It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. *At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. *The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. *I never leave the
recliner. *

In some cases yes. In my laptop bag I have a power strip that I
purchased at a Lawson's (basically a Japanese 7-11) in Tokyo when I
found that the only recep in my hotel room was too far away from the
bed to comfortably surf while lounging. My understanding is that in
some places in Japan the power/receps may be different but I haven't
been to any of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Apr 25, 11:54*am, Chip C wrote:
[...]

Hah... You can actually get Calpis here, but it's rebranded "Calpico"
I can't imagine why.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 08:53:41 -0700 (PDT), N8N
wrote:

On Apr 25, 10:41*am, Metspitzer wrote:
I just saw a TV commercial. *It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. *At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. *The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. *I never leave the
recliner. *

In some cases yes. In my laptop bag I have a power strip that I
purchased at a Lawson's (basically a Japanese 7-11) in Tokyo when I
found that the only recep in my hotel room was too far away from the
bed to comfortably surf while lounging. My understanding is that in
some places in Japan the power/receps may be different but I haven't
been to any of them.

I have a 9 ft drop cord I keep in my laptop case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/27/2012 11:53 AM, N8N wrote:
On Apr 25, 10:41 am, wrote:
I just saw a TV commercial. It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. I never leave the
recliner.

In some cases yes. In my laptop bag I have a power strip that I
purchased at a Lawson's (basically a Japanese 7-11) in Tokyo when I
found that the only recep in my hotel room was too far away from the
bed to comfortably surf while lounging. My understanding is that in
some places in Japan the power/receps may be different but I haven't
been to any of them.

The outlets are the same. The main difference is line frequency
"half" of Japan is on 50 Hz. The other is on 60 Hz That was one of
the reasons they were hurting when the Fukushima plants went offline
because of the tsunami.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just saw a TV commercial. It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. I never leave the
recliner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktmSFpXH7js

There's a thriving business in travel adapters for different sockets and
plugs so that you can plug things in when you travel. Personally, I use
something called "World Connect". See:
http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Travel-P...ews/B000L9WTEU
It's a bit heavy, but it's always matched the sockets in the hotel rooms in
any country I've been in. The nice thing about computer power supplies and
cell phone chargers these days is that they work just fine on 50-60 Hertz
and 110-240 volts. Just plug them in via the adapter.

The first time I traveled to 220 volt Europe in the 1960s, I built an
adjustable resistor box for my electric razor and set the output voltage by
the sound of the motor. It was amazing that the motor didn't get fried.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:41:15 AM UTC-4, Metspitzer wrote:
I just saw a TV commercial. It was about two Asian girls fighting in
an Asian coffee shop. At the end of the commercial one of the two
girls plugs in a laptop. The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use
here in America.

That's because the "Asian coffee shop" is supposed to be here in America.

Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the
right side of the road?

No.

QUESTION FOR AN ELECTRICIAN Ron in NY Home Repair 9 December 3rd 11 01:37 AM
Electrician question Jack Home Repair 28 November 6th 09 02:53 AM
Basic electrician question Ken Sterling Metalworking 20 June 6th 05 05:21 AM
Question about electrician rates John Home Repair 15 January 27th 05 04:22 AM
Need help - Troubleshooting question for any good electrician. Bumbledor Home Repair 6 June 26th 04 07:22 AM