Posted to alt.home.repair

Default QUESTION FOR AN ELECTRICIAN

I own a gas station that was remodeled about 20 years ago. When it was wired up,
in the specs for the dispenser wiring it was required for the power to the
dispensers and the dispenser lights to have single pole breakers that break the
hot and the neutral. Does any experienced electrician here know why the
dispenser company (Dresser Wayne) wants both the hot and neutral disconnected
when you shut off the breakers ???? I always wondered what their reasoning was.
The underground submersible pumps use plain old 2 pole breakers--nothing special
like the dispensers.
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2011 7:15 PM, Ron in NY wrote:
I own a gas station that was remodeled about 20 years ago. When it was wired up,
in the specs for the dispenser wiring it was required for the power to the
dispensers and the dispenser lights to have single pole breakers that break the
hot and the neutral. Does any experienced electrician here know why the
dispenser company (Dresser Wayne) wants both the hot and neutral disconnected
when you shut off the breakers ???? I always wondered what their reasoning was.
The underground submersible pumps use plain old 2 pole breakers--nothing special
like the dispensers.
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

I'm not an electrician nor do I even play one on tv but...

maybe it's because if you lost the neutral connection to the power
company transformer you could see significant voltage on the neutral at
the pump?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2011 7:15 PM, Ron in NY wrote:
I own a gas station that was remodeled about 20 years ago. When it was wired up,
in the specs for the dispenser wiring it was required for the power to the
dispensers and the dispenser lights to have single pole breakers that break the
hot and the neutral. Does any experienced electrician here know why the
dispenser company (Dresser Wayne) wants both the hot and neutral disconnected
when you shut off the breakers ???? I always wondered what their reasoning was.
The underground submersible pumps use plain old 2 pole breakers--nothing special
like the dispensers.
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

It's an Nec requirement for fuel dispensing equipment. At a location
remote from the dispenser, a disconnecting means must be provided that
disconnect "all" circuit conductors. The codebook footnote mentions that
this is to guard against any accidental polarity reversal issues where
120 volt equipment is used
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 7:45*pm, RBM wrote:
[...]

RBM:

Have anyone ever told you that you da man? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron in NY" wrote in message
Does any experienced electrician here know why the dispenser
company (Dresser Wayne) wants both the hot and neutral
disconnected when you shut off the breakers ????

Because you would be shutting off power so someone could service the
dispensers. And when servicing these dispensers, you would not want
any potential sparking. A neutral under certain malfunction situations
can be energized. That could cause a spark. Thus they are removing
that risk.

Additional protection elsewhere, besides disconnecting all current
carrying conductors, is to also ground them!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2011 6:57 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 30, 7:45 pm, wrote:
[...]

RBM's depth of electrical knowledge is shocking. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2011 12:10 AM, Bill wrote:
"Ron in NY" wrote in message
Does any experienced electrician here know why the dispenser
company (Dresser Wayne) wants both the hot and neutral
disconnected when you shut off the breakers ????

Because you would be shutting off power so someone could service the
dispensers. And when servicing these dispensers, you would not want any
potential sparking. A neutral under certain malfunction situations can
be energized. That could cause a spark. Thus they are removing that risk.

Additional protection elsewhere, besides disconnecting all current
carrying conductors, is to also ground them!

A weird loop voltage or induced current could also exist. If you want to
test a ground fault outlet or breaker, short the neutral to ground
and it will trip. That may be the reason for the fuel dispenser
electrical standards requiring the neutral be disconnected which have
been around longer than the ubiquitous ground fault devices. Of course
the ground/earth connection is always present to drain off any static
charge.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

It's an Nec requirement for fuel dispensing equipment. At a location
remote from the dispenser, a disconnecting means must be provided that
disconnect "all" circuit conductors. The codebook footnote mentions that
this is to guard against any accidental polarity reversal issues where
120 volt equipment is used

What is the proper name for this type of breaker ???
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's an Nec requirement for fuel dispensing equipment. At a location
remote from the dispenser, a disconnecting means must be provided that
disconnect "all" circuit conductors. The codebook footnote mentions that
this is to guard against any accidental polarity reversal issues where
120 volt equipment is used

What is the proper name for this type of breaker ???
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. "Switched neutral circuit breaker" Here is a
link to a QO type switched neutral breaker:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SQU...NJ2?Pid=search

Electrician question Jack Home Repair 28 November 6th 09 02:53 AM
electrician, breaker and amps question regarding cost... markm75 Home Repair 17 August 28th 08 06:08 AM
Basic electrician question Ken Sterling Metalworking 20 June 6th 05 05:21 AM
Question about electrician rates John Home Repair 15 January 27th 05 04:22 AM
Need help - Troubleshooting question for any good electrician. Bumbledor Home Repair 6 June 26th 04 07:22 AM