Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default QUESTION FOR AN ELECTRICIAN

On 11/30/2011 7:15 PM, Ron in NY wrote:
I own a gas station that was remodeled about 20 years ago. When it was wired up,
in the specs for the dispenser wiring it was required for the power to the
dispensers and the dispenser lights to have single pole breakers that break the
hot and the neutral. Does any experienced electrician here know why the
dispenser company (Dresser Wayne) wants both the hot and neutral disconnected
when you shut off the breakers ???? I always wondered what their reasoning was.
The underground submersible pumps use plain old 2 pole breakers--nothing special
like the dispensers.
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

It's an Nec requirement for fuel dispensing equipment. At a location
remote from the dispenser, a disconnecting means must be provided that
disconnect "all" circuit conductors. The codebook footnote mentions that
this is to guard against any accidental polarity reversal issues where
120 volt equipment is used