Posted to alt.home.repair

Default July 9 virus information - what it is & what to do

Probably everyone has heard about the virus that takes you off the internet on July 9. It has been in many papers and on news casts.

Here is an article from Ask Leo, about this problem, and what to do about it. If you haven't read it, it may be of interest to you.

http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_inter...J3l.6rPZ9ZdfbL

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bob-tx" Live Spam free wrote:

Probably everyone has heard about the virus that takes you off the internet
on July 9. It has been in many papers and on news casts.

Here is an article from Ask Leo, about this problem, and what to do about it.
If you haven't read it, it may be of interest to you.

http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_inter...PFE qF&awt_m=
J3l.6rPZ9ZdfbL

Bob

just get a mac
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 2:00*pm, "Bob-tx" Live Spam free wrote:
Probably everyone has heard about the virus that takes you off the internet on July *9. *It has been in many papers and on news casts.

Here is an article from Ask Leo, about this problem, and what to do about it. *If you haven't read it, it may be of interest to you.

http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_inter...html?awt_l=PFE....

Bob

How do I know that the DNS Changer Working Group link will take me to
a legitimate site? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Shazzam. Might be true, even?
http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011...malware_110911
Sounds nasty, for sure.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bob-tx" Live Spam free wrote in message

Probably everyone has heard about the virus that takes you off the internet
on July 9. It has been in many papers and on news casts.

Here is an article from Ask Leo, about this problem, and what to do about
it. If you haven't read it, it may be of interest to you.

http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_inter...J3l.6rPZ9ZdfbL

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yow, that's probably the link that's spreading the infection.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_inter...html?awt_l=PFE...

Bob

How do I know that the DNS Changer Working Group link will take me to
a legitimate site? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:02:41 -0500, G. Morgan
wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:

LMAO!! I'll take as much precaution as i have with the other fifty
million hoaxes that have come across.

Not a hoax.

www.fbi.gov/DNS-changer-malware.pdf

Correct. My ISP is participating:

_Organizations participating with the DNS Changer Clean up Operation_

http://www.dcwg.org/aboutcontact/

I checked, no warts here...

Video interview.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1581246841001/internet-blackout-on-the-horizon/?playlist_id=86919
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:50:03 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 4/24/2012 1:00 PM, Bob-tx wrote:
Probably everyone has heard about the virus that takes you off the
internet on July 9. It has been in many papers and on news casts.
Here is an article from Ask Leo, about this problem, and what to do
about it. If you haven't read it, it may be of interest to you.

http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_inter...J3l.6rPZ9ZdfbL
http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_internet_access_in_july.html?awt_l=PFE qF&awt_m=J3l.6rPZ9ZdfbL
Bob

LMAO!! I'll take as much precaution as i have with the other fifty
million hoaxes that have come across.

This one is NOT a hoax, but it's not as bad as some would make it
sound either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 3:41*pm, G. Morgan wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
How do I know that the DNS Changer Working Group link will take me to
a legitimate site? *;-)

If you trust the government:www.dcwg.org/detect/

Otherwise, all the major A/V have free scanners just Google them:

http://www.google.com/search?q=dns+c...ction&ie=utf-8....

--

We are spirtual beings having a Human Experience. - Oprah Winfrey

I was kidding.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

In article ,
"Bob-tx" Live Spam free wrote:

Probably everyone has heard about the virus that takes you off the internet
on July 9. It has been in many papers and on news casts.

Here is an article from Ask Leo, about this problem, and what to do about it.
If you haven't read it, it may be of interest to you.

http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_inter...PFE qF&awt_m=
J3l.6rPZ9ZdfbL

Bob

just get a mac

....and be dependent on the deny, delay and surreptitiously patch
scrApple for fixes to mac viruses...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 16:41:06 -0500, G. Morgan
wrote:

Oren wrote:

http://www.dcwg.org/aboutcontact/

I checked, no warts here...

Now check for an FBI cookie, the persistent kind.

Can't find one. I use InPrivate browsing and refuse cookies (IE9).

Here is a better way to check:
http://www.avira.com/files/support/F...NSRepairEN.exe

What is this file, what is the purpose?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Pete C." wrote:

Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_inter...t_l=PFE qF&aw
t_m=
J3l.6rPZ9ZdfbL

Bob

just get a mac

...and be dependent on the deny, delay and surreptitiously patch
scrApple for fixes to mac viruses...

what mac viruses?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:12:55 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

just get a mac

...and be dependent on the deny, delay and surreptitiously patch
scrApple for fixes to mac viruses...

what mac viruses?

"A nasty bit of malware named “Flashback” has reportedly infected
600,000 Macs worldwide, more than half located in the US."

http://www.brucebnews.com/2012/04/mac-gets-a-virus-and-other-apple-woes/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

just get a mac

...and be dependent on the deny, delay and surreptitiously patch
scrApple for fixes to mac viruses...

what mac viruses?

"A nasty bit of malware named “Flashback” has reportedly infected
600,000 Macs worldwide, more than half located in the US."

http://www.brucebnews.com/2012/04/mac-gets-a-virus-and-other-apple-woes/

You really don't expect Malformed to keep up, do you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

just get a mac

...and be dependent on the deny, delay and surreptitiously patch
scrApple for fixes to mac viruses...

what mac viruses?

"A nasty bit of malware named €śFlashback€ť has reportedly infected
600,000 Macs worldwide, more than half located in the US."

http://www.brucebnews.com/2012/04/mac-gets-a-virus-and-other-apple-woes/

The tip of the iceberg. You WILL see more apple (and unix) virus
infections in the future.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

just get a mac

...and be dependent on the deny, delay and surreptitiously patch
scrApple for fixes to mac viruses...

what mac viruses?

"A nasty bit of malware named “Flashback” has reportedly infected
600,000 Macs worldwide, more than half located in the US."

http://www.brucebnews.com/2012/04/mac-gets-a-virus-and-other-apple-woes/

it's not a virus. to be a virus it has to be self-propagating and it isn't

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

just get a mac

...and be dependent on the deny, delay and surreptitiously patch
scrApple for fixes to mac viruses...

what mac viruses?

"A nasty bit of malware named “Flashback” has reportedly infected
600,000 Macs worldwide, more than half located in the US."

http://www.brucebnews.com/2012/04/mac-gets-a-virus-and-other-apple-woes/

You really don't expect Malformed to keep up, do you?

oh, krow, that was so cute...but wrong as usual
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

just get a mac

...and be dependent on the deny, delay and surreptitiously patch
scrApple for fixes to mac viruses...

what mac viruses?

"A nasty bit of malware named “Flashback” has reportedly infected
600,000 Macs worldwide, more than half located in the US."

http://www.brucebnews.com/2012/04/mac-gets-a-virus-and-other-apple-woes/

in fact all a mac user has to do is disable javascript or download apples latest
version...either option will disable the malware
Posted to alt.home.repair

.. .

.

"Bob-tx" Live Spam free wrote in message

Probably everyone has heard about the virus that takes you off the
internet
on July 9. It has been in many papers and on news casts.

Here is an article from Ask Leo, about this problem, and what to do about
it. If you haven't read it, it may be of interest to you.

http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_inter...J3l.6rPZ9ZdfbL

Bob

Just keep talking trash about things you don't know about.
If you don't at least check, you may find out on July 9.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 24, 2:18*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-
wrote:
In article ,
*"Bob-tx" Live Spam free wrote:

Probably everyone has heard about the virus that takes you off the internet
on July *9. *It has been in many papers and on news casts.

Here is an article from Ask Leo, about this problem, and what to do about it.
*If you haven't read it, it may be of interest to you.

http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_inter...html?awt_l=PFE....
J3l.6rPZ9ZdfbL

Bob

just get a mac

snip

Back in November, law enforcement authorities working with the Federal
Bureau of Investigation arrested six of the seven individuals in
Estonia responsible for infecting millions of Windows and Mac machines
worldwide with the DNSChanger Trojan

snip
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/2012 2:41 PM, G. Morgan wrote:
Oren wrote:

http://www.dcwg.org/aboutcontact/

I checked, no warts here...

Now check for an FBI cookie, the persistent kind.

Here is a better way to check:
http://www.avira.com/files/support/F...NSRepairEN.exe

Ok, so you think you have malware that intercepts the process that
translates
www.avira.com to an IP address and sends you somewhere else that's bad.
So, you click on a link to an executable that uses this compromised
translation
process to get the file.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this?

This may be an actual problem.
Some percentage of the links that get clicked may fix it.
If I were a virus writer, I'd jump on this and laugh my ass off.

What if you just wait for your internet to go away and then stick in
the DNS number off the paper that came with your isp contract?

And why didn't the FBI just have the offending DNS IP addresses
aliased to REAL DNS IP addresses. Problem Solved.

This may not be a duck, but it sure quacks like one. And I'd bet
that there are a lot of little ducklings lurking about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

just get a mac

...and be dependent on the deny, delay and surreptitiously patch
scrApple for fixes to mac viruses...

what mac viruses?

"A nasty bit of malware named “Flashback” has reportedly infected
600,000 Macs worldwide, more than half located in the US."

http://www.brucebnews.com/2012/04/mac-gets-a-virus-and-other-apple-woes/

You really don't expect Malformed to keep up, do you?

That isn't a virus, which by definition can spread on its own. It is a
Trojan Horse, which in the OSX Universe requires the computer's owner to
actively okay the addition of the TH.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 25, 9:15*am, G. Morgan wrote:
mike wrote:
Here is a better way to check:
http://www.avira.com/files/support/F...s/EN/AviraDNSR....

Ok, so you think you have malware that intercepts the process that
translates
www.avira.com to an IP address and sends you somewhere else that's bad.
So, you click on a link to an executable that uses this compromised
translation
process to get the file.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this?

Lol... *didn't think of that. *Here ya go:http://62.146.210.54/files/support/F...s/EN/AviraDNSR...

SOP is -

Avira DNS Repair-Tool
Free Avira-Tool which repairs your Windows-System from possible
damages that the “DNS-Changer“ malware may have caused.

http://www.avira.com/en/downloads#tools
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:12:56 -0500, G. Morgan
wrote:

Oren wrote:

Here is a better way to check:
http://www.avira.com/files/support/F...NSRepairEN.exe

What is this file, what is the purpose?

Are you serious? Look at the filename.

I see the file name. No need for DNS repair. We were talking about
cookies is why I ask, sorry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 19:23:18 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

wrote:

just get a mac

...and be dependent on the deny, delay and surreptitiously patch
scrApple for fixes to mac viruses...

what mac viruses?

"A nasty bit of malware named “Flashback” has reportedly infected
600,000 Macs worldwide, more than half located in the US."

http://www.brucebnews.com/2012/04/mac-gets-a-virus-and-other-apple-woes/

it's not a virus. to be a virus it has to be self-propagating and it isn't

Do keep up....

"...Malware includes computer viruses, worms, trojan horses, spyware,
adware, most rootkits, and other malicious programs."
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

wrote:

just get a mac

...and be dependent on the deny, delay and surreptitiously patch
scrApple for fixes to mac viruses...

what mac viruses?

"A nasty bit of malware named “Flashback” has reportedly infected
600,000 Macs worldwide, more than half located in the US."

http://www.brucebnews.com/2012/04/mac-gets-a-virus-and-other-apple-woes/

You really don't expect Malformed to keep up, do you?

That isn't a virus, which by definition can spread on its own. It is a
Trojan Horse, which in the OSX Universe requires the computer's owner to
actively okay the addition of the TH.

exactly, but krow is so hard to educate

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ron wrote:

On Apr 24, 2:18*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-
wrote:
In article ,
*"Bob-tx" Live Spam free wrote:

Probably everyone has heard about the virus that takes you off the
internet
on July *9. *It has been in many papers and on news casts.

Here is an article from Ask Leo, about this problem, and what to do about
it.
*If you haven't read it, it may be of interest to you.

http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_inter...html?awt_l=PFE...
J3l.6rPZ9ZdfbL

Bob

just get a mac

snip

Back in November, law enforcement authorities working with the Federal
Bureau of Investigation arrested six of the seven individuals in
Estonia responsible for infecting millions of Windows and Mac machines
worldwide with the DNSChanger Trojan

snip

yes, Trojan, not virus. I don't know if krow knows the difference
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Oren
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 19:23:18 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article , Oren

wrote:

just get a mac

...and be dependent on the deny, delay and surreptitiously patch
scrApple for fixes to mac viruses...

what mac viruses?

"A nasty bit of malware named “Flashback” has reportedly infected
600,000 Macs worldwide, more than half located in the US."

http://www.brucebnews.com/2012/04/mac-gets-a-virus-and-other-apple-woes/

it's not a virus. to be a virus it has to be self-propagating and it isn't

Do keep up....

"...Malware includes computer viruses, worms, trojan horses, spyware,
adware, most rootkits, and other malicious programs."

all viruses are malware, but not all malware is a virus. for this one, all a mac
user had to do was deactivate javascript which is basically not needed on a day
to day basis anyway
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

all viruses are malware, but not all malware is a virus. for this one, all a
mac
user had to do was deactivate javascript which is basically not needed on a
day
to day basis anyway

Actually all they had to do was to not press OK when the OS asked if it
was okay to install it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:00:57 -0500, "Bob-tx" Live Spam free wrote:

Probably everyone has heard about the virus that takes you off the internet on July 9.

Not a problem. The world will be ending on December 21, 2012 anyhow. It
will end regardless if you have internet access or not. The only bad
thing is that you wont be able to click the "Like" button on Facebook as
the world explodes. (Or did Facebook make a "Dislike" button for the end
of the world?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/2012 6:15 AM, G. Morgan wrote:
mike wrote:

Here is a better way to check:
http://www.avira.com/files/support/F...NSRepairEN.exe

Ok, so you think you have malware that intercepts the process that
translates
www.avira.com to an IP address and sends you somewhere else that's bad.
So, you click on a link to an executable that uses this compromised
translation
process to get the file.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this?

Lol... didn't think of that. Here ya go:
http://62.146.210.54/files/support/F...NSRepairEN.exe

That still doesn't help. I don't know where that address takes me.
Yes, I could look it up...
You're asking me to trust you. I don't know who you are or whether you
are who you say you are. That's the crux of social engineering.
The bad guy isn't gonna say, "I'm here to screw you if you push this
button." Successful scams never sound like scams.

What's worse is that google gives you a zillion hits from a zillion places
about this issue and what to click to fix it.
Don't know if most people watch the bottom line of their browser, but
many links take you to a place that's different from what the link text
says. And how many of us pay close enough attention that they'd notice
a link to Avria.com??

This scare is a perfect opportunity to spread more malware.

What I actually did was boot a system built since the problem was fixed,
went to avira, navigated to the tool, downloaded and ran it.
Still haven't tried it on the main machine.

But, I have a question about how the malware works.
ipconfig /all tells me where my dns servers are.
If I were infected, would that show up in ipconfig?
And if it did, and I put them back to the correct values,
would the malware still be running and corrupt them again?
And, if so, why didn't my Avira AV suite cure the malware already and
warn me to check my DNS addresses?

This may be an actual problem.
Some percentage of the links that get clicked may fix it.
If I were a virus writer, I'd jump on this and laugh my ass off.

What if you just wait for your internet to go away and then stick in
the DNS number off the paper that came with your isp contract?

And why didn't the FBI just have the offending DNS IP addresses
aliased to REAL DNS IP addresses. Problem Solved.

They did. They turned all the rogue DNS servers into correct
routing ones. Now they want to get out of the DNS business and go
back to whatever they do.

I'm not buying it. All those bad ip addresses are currently assigned
to some real DNS server. The FBI doesn't have to have any influence
or responsibility for the server. Why can't they, or why didn't they,
map all those bad addresses to one of the public DNS servers out there
and be done with it???
I shouldn't have to know or care.

This all sounds too perfect. Bad Estonians, good FBI, OMG internet is
goin' away, I'm here to help.... Sounds more like a Saturday morning
cartoon.

I expect more people will be hurt by this scare than will be saved from
it. Reminds me, I'm goin over to my neighbor's house to see if his
Y2K generator will still start.

This may not be a duck, but it sure quacks like one. And I'd bet
that there are a lot of little ducklings lurking about.

If you say so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

all viruses are malware, but not all malware is a virus. for this one, all
a mac user had to do was deactivate javascript which is basically not
needed on a day to day basis anyway

Actually all they had to do was to not press OK when the OS asked if it was
okay to install it.

absolutely
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

wrote:

On 4/24/2012 1:00 PM, Bob-tx wrote:
Probably everyone has heard about the virus that takes you off the
internet on July 9. It has been in many papers and on news casts.
Here is an article from Ask Leo, about this problem, and what to do
about it. If you haven't read it, it may be of interest to you.

http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_inter...html?awt_l=PFE
qF&awt_m=J3l.6rPZ9ZdfbL
http://ask-leo.com/will_i_lose_inter....html?awt_l=PF
EqF&awt_m=J3l.6rPZ9ZdfbL Bob

LMAO!! I'll take as much precaution as i have with the other fifty
million hoaxes that have come across.

This one is NOT a hoax, but it's not as bad as some would make it
sound either.

Jabut.. cliking on funny links from shady alarmists is likely to
install the virus for you.....
I will wait for Avast to stomp on bad things.

Virus check... The Natural Philosopher UK diy 91 October 10th 08 09:24 AM
Virus Alert Stormin Mormon Home Repair 4 June 14th 06 02:08 AM
Warning! Virus! James Sweet Electronics Repair 4 December 31st 04 09:46 PM
THIS ATTACHMENT CONTAINS A VIRUS Frank McVey Woodturning 7 July 29th 04 05:58 AM