Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Default Virus Alert

Dear Folks,
There is a virus making the rounds which has been sending a
subject line "new graphic site". From what I can tell, the virus has
been infecting computers across the world.
The emails you get in your box are NOT from the person in the
"from" line. As with so many other virus, they copy one email adress
from the infected drive, and then spamblast the virus out to everyone
they can find. Using a random email adress as the "from" line, who
then gets blamed.
Today I've gotten emails containing photos atached "pubic region
nerves" and a few other JPEG files. Remember Klez about two years ago?
Had been sending out random files from peoples drives. Well, this one
appears to be much the same.
I do apologize for any strange emails which "appear" to be from
this adress. Even though they would be spoofed. Please, folks, run
your virus scanner. Norton and the other big guys have a patch for the
new virus.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cue

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:55:06 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

| Dear Folks,
| There is a virus making the rounds which has been sending a
| subject line "new graphic site". From what I can tell, the virus has
| been infecting computers across the world.

Symantec says this virus, called "JS.Yamanner@m" is very low level,
fewer than 50 infections, easy to remove, and has a geographical
distribution level of "low."

Why pick this virus out of the thousands currently circulating? Why
post it in a newsgroup? I suppose you are also sending it around to
all your friends, most of whom will do nothing.

A good policy is to tend to your own computer's virus protection and
stop sending around panic emails to others. It is a waste of time and
mildly annoying.

Those who run antivirus programs will not be affected anyway, and
those who don't won't do anything.

"JS.Yamanner@m is a worm that is written in JavaScript. It exploits a
vulnerability in the Yahoo email service to send a copy of itself to
the user's Yahoo email contacts."

| The emails you get in your box are NOT from the person in the
| "from" line. As with so many other virus, they copy one email adress
| from the infected drive, and then spamblast the virus out to everyone
| they can find. Using a random email adress as the "from" line, who
| then gets blamed.
| Today I've gotten emails containing photos atached "pubic region
| nerves" and a few other JPEG files. Remember Klez about two years ago?
| Had been sending out random files from peoples drives. Well, this one
| appears to be much the same.
| I do apologize for any strange emails which "appear" to be from
| this adress. Even though they would be spoofed. Please, folks, run
| your virus scanner. Norton and the other big guys have a patch for the
| new virus.
|
| --
|
| Christopher A. Young
| You can't shout down a troll.
| You have to starve them.
| .

Posted to alt.home.repair
wayne

I for one say thank you I actually did receive this email and forwarded
it on to yahoo abuse but did not realize it was a virus? As for LOW I
think it will be going higher!

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cue

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 20:45:24 -0500, "wayne" wrote:

| I for one say thank you I actually did receive this email and forwarded
| it on to yahoo abuse but did not realize it was a virus? As for LOW I
| think it will be going higher!

I get a number of virus-laden emails every month, but have yet to have
one infect the computer. I practice "safe computing" in a variety of
commonly known ways.

If I know for sure who sent me the virus, I email them and warn them.
But I don't go posting mass virus warnings on Usenet or sending around
lurid emails containing virus warnings.

You say you got this virus sent to you. Did your computer get
infected? Apparently not. But as a result of this warning, now you
know that the email contained a virus. Has this changed your
computing? Have you gained anything by knowing? What if you had known
that the email contained a virus? Would you have done anything
differently?

Why pick this virus? Since May 14 there have been 100 new viruses
reported. What if I started sending you a warning email for each one
of them and posting the warnings to alt.home.repair (don't worry, I
won't)? That would be pretty annoying, wouldn't it, and it would do
nothing to prevent you from receiving any of the 100 viruses.

Viruses can be quite destructive and everyone needs to run antivirus
programs, disable HTML emails, use a text-based newsreader, keep virus
definitions up to date, and apply all operating system patches. But
posting "warnings" accomplishes little or nothing.

| Cue wrote:
|
| On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:55:06 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
| wrote:
|

| Dear Folks,
| There is a virus making the rounds which has been sending a
| subject line "new graphic site". From what I can tell, the
| virus has been infecting computers across the world.
|
| Symantec says this virus, called "JS.Yamanner@m" is very low level,
| fewer than 50 infections, easy to remove, and has a geographical
| distribution level of "low."
|
| Why pick this virus out of the thousands currently circulating? Why
| post it in a newsgroup? I suppose you are also sending it around to
| all your friends, most of whom will do nothing.
|
| A good policy is to tend to your own computer's virus protection and
| stop sending around panic emails to others. It is a waste of time and
| mildly annoying.
|
| Those who run antivirus programs will not be affected anyway, and
| those who don't won't do anything.
|
| "JS.Yamanner@m is a worm that is written in JavaScript. It exploits a
| vulnerability in the Yahoo email service to send a copy of itself to
| the user's Yahoo email contacts."
|

| The emails you get in your box are NOT from the person in
| the "from" line. As with so many other virus, they copy one
| email adress from the infected drive, and then spamblast the
| virus out to everyone they can find. Using a random email
| adress as the "from" line, who then gets blamed.
| Today I've gotten emails containing photos atached "pubic
| region nerves" and a few other JPEG files. Remember Klez about
| two years ago? Had been sending out random files from peoples
| drives. Well, this one appears to be much the same.
| I do apologize for any strange emails which "appear" to
| be from this adress. Even though they would be spoofed.
| Please, folks, run your virus scanner. Norton and the other big
| guys have a patch for the new virus.
|
| --
|
| Christopher A. Young
| You can't shout down a troll.
| You have to starve them.
| .

Posted to alt.home.repair
wayne

this virus is new type in that no action is required. It was aimed at
yahoo mail only. being a new type it was unknown. Most of the viruses
are the same. This one is different While I have run a couple of scan
s that came out clean my computer did send out spam to a yahoo group
that I belong to. I am still not sure if my computer is infected or
not.

Cue wrote:

| On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:55:06 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
| wrote:
|

| Dear Folks,
| There is a virus making the rounds which has been
sending a | subject line "new graphic site". From what I
can tell, the | virus has been infecting computers across
the world. |
| Symantec says this virus, called "JS.Yamanner@m" is very low
level, | fewer than 50 infections, easy to remove, and has a
geographical | distribution level of "low."

| Why pick this virus out of the thousands currently
circulating? Why | post it in a newsgroup? I suppose you are
also sending it around to | all your friends, most of whom will
do nothing. |
| A good policy is to tend to your own computer's virus
protection and | stop sending around panic emails to others. It
is a waste of time and | mildly annoying.

| Those who run antivirus programs will not be affected anyway,
and | those who don't won't do anything.

| "JS.Yamanner@m is a worm that is written in JavaScript. It
exploits a | vulnerability in the Yahoo email service to send a
copy of itself to | the user's Yahoo email contacts."

| The emails you get in your box are NOT from the
person in | the "from" line. As with so many other virus,
they copy one | email adress from the infected drive, and
then spamblast the | virus out to everyone they can find.
Using a random email | adress as the "from" line, who then
gets blamed. | Today I've gotten emails containing
photos atached "pubic | region nerves" and a few other
JPEG files. Remember Klez about | two years ago? Had been
sending out random files from peoples | drives. Well, this
one appears to be much the same. | I do apologize
for any strange emails which "appear" to | be from this
adress. Even though they would be spoofed. | Please, folks,
run your virus scanner. Norton and the other big | guys
have a patch for the new virus. |
| --
|
| Christopher A. Young
| You can't shout down a troll.
| You have to starve them.
| .

OT Mad old woman syndrome and bird flu John Cartmell UK diy 3 February 16th 06 10:17 PM
Virus Warning Fred Holder Woodturning 4 December 16th 04 02:46 PM
Advise Max Power Woodworking 48 September 21st 03 12:38 AM