James Sweet

Default Warning! Virus!

"Guy Macon" wrote in message

Mazi wrote:

My Linux computer does not have any ad/spy-aware and anti
virus software installed, yet I don't see any harm to my
Linux computer after visiting the website. So, what's the
deal?

The Commodore 128 that I use to access the web (yes, I have
Slakware Linux and Windows 2000 boxes, but the C128 is more
fun and boots in seconds) also does not have any adware/spyware
or antivirus software installed. In fact, I see one common
factor to all of these viruses: Microsoft operating systems...

What I don't understand is why it's not obvious to some people that if 95%
of people use a particular OS, 95% of the viruses, spyware, etc will be for
that OS. The OS itself has little to do with it, the biggest factor is the
users themselves, both in number and habbits. A secure OS can be made
insecure by sloppy usage, an insecure OS can be made reasonably secure with
diligence. As always there's a tradeoff between convenience/usability and
security. A bank vault door with a time lock as the only entrance to a house
would be very secure, but how long would it take for the typical user to
prop it open in the name of convenience?

Ed Price

"Guy Macon" wrote in message

Mazi wrote:

My Linux computer does not have any ad/spy-aware and anti
virus software installed, yet I don't see any harm to my
Linux computer after visiting the website. So, what's the
deal?

The Commodore 128 that I use to access the web (yes, I have
Slakware Linux and Windows 2000 boxes, but the C128 is more
fun and boots in seconds) also does not have any adware/spyware
or antivirus software installed. In fact, I see one common
factor to all of these viruses: Microsoft operating systems...

Yes, it's hard to corrupt a ROM based OS!

OTOH, the C-128 allows for direct access of things like the keyboard buffer
registers, and allows for PEEKS and POKES direct to specific memory
locations. I suspect that if some malicious dude (an Ohio Scientific owner
with a grudge?) gave a rat's ass about bothering the microscopic C-128 user
base, he could march in, play a tune on your floppy drive track-zero stop,
and reformat whatever storage media you have.

But maybe you're actually running in the CP/M mode?

Ed
wb6wsn

Ed Price

"Jamie" wrote in message
Guy Macon wrote:

Mazi wrote:

My Linux computer does not have any ad/spy-aware and anti virus software
installed, yet I don't see any harm to my Linux computer after visiting
the website. So, what's the deal?

The Commodore 128 that I use to access the web (yes, I have
Slakware Linux and Windows 2000 boxes, but the C128 is more
fun and boots in seconds) also does not have any adware/spyware or
antivirus software installed. In fact, I see one common
factor to all of these viruses: Microsoft operating systems...

i have a 128D, whats it worth to you?

Not heavy enough to hold the boat, too easy to trip over to hold the door;
why not put it up on eBay?

Ed
wb6wsn

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 05:13:28 +0000, Guy Macon
wrote:

Mazi wrote:

My Linux computer does not have any ad/spy-aware and anti
virus software installed, yet I don't see any harm to my
Linux computer after visiting the website. So, what's the
deal?

The Commodore 128 that I use to access the web (yes, I have
Slakware Linux and Windows 2000 boxes, but the C128 is more
fun and boots in seconds) also does not have any adware/spyware
or antivirus software installed. In fact, I see one common
factor to all of these viruses: Microsoft operating systems...

The big player is targetted...why target .0001% (probably less) of the
online population?

Do you actually believe that a virus can't be coded for a C 128?

Tom