James Sweet

Default Warning! Virus!

"Guy Macon" wrote in message

Mazi wrote:

My Linux computer does not have any ad/spy-aware and anti
virus software installed, yet I don't see any harm to my
Linux computer after visiting the website. So, what's the
deal?

The Commodore 128 that I use to access the web (yes, I have
Slakware Linux and Windows 2000 boxes, but the C128 is more
fun and boots in seconds) also does not have any adware/spyware
or antivirus software installed. In fact, I see one common
factor to all of these viruses: Microsoft operating systems...

What I don't understand is why it's not obvious to some people that if 95%
of people use a particular OS, 95% of the viruses, spyware, etc will be for
that OS. The OS itself has little to do with it, the biggest factor is the
users themselves, both in number and habbits. A secure OS can be made
insecure by sloppy usage, an insecure OS can be made reasonably secure with
diligence. As always there's a tradeoff between convenience/usability and
security. A bank vault door with a time lock as the only entrance to a house
would be very secure, but how long would it take for the typical user to
prop it open in the name of convenience?