Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Delta Single lever kitchen faucet. spout "stiff" to swing.

Our Delta single lever kitchen sink faucet started dripping a little bit
when shut off so I picked up a "full repair kit" and replaced the ball,
seals and o-rings.

The faucet now shuts off completely, but I've noticed that the spout is
quite a bit more difficult to move from side to side than it was before
I replaced the o-rings. And yes, the replacement o-rings were the same
size as what was in the faucet, though a bit flattened by years of use.

If hot water is running through the faucet the spout becomes much easier
to move. (Like maybe the o-ring material gets softer when warm?)

Do y'all think the spout will start to move more easily in a few days or
weeks?

Thanks guys,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 17:16:07 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

Our Delta single lever kitchen sink faucet started dripping a little bit
when shut off so I picked up a "full repair kit" and replaced the ball,
seals and o-rings.

The faucet now shuts off completely, but I've noticed that the spout is
quite a bit more difficult to move from side to side than it was before
I replaced the o-rings. And yes, the replacement o-rings were the same
size as what was in the faucet, though a bit flattened by years of use.

If hot water is running through the faucet the spout becomes much easier
to move. (Like maybe the o-ring material gets softer when warm?)

Do y'all think the spout will start to move more easily in a few days or
weeks?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Was there a "lube" included in the kit? Did you lube the O-ring?

....thinking out loud...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No there wasn't, and I thought about but hesitated to put a bit of
silicone grease on the o-rings since they are in contact with water that
someone might drink or cook with.

I did check the inside of the cylindrical body which slips over the
o-rings and it was quite clean and smooth.

I'm guessing that the new o-rings will take a set in a litttle while and
things will return to pre-rebuild conditions.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Use "food grade" silicone grease for these applications.

http://www.efilterwater.com/water_filters/parts/Danco_Silcone_Grease_88693_HD02.asp

The spout may loosen up in time, there MAY also be a chance of damage
to the O-ring without the lube.

Silicone grease to lubricate the O-ring during inspections or annual
changes
NSF 41 Certified
Non-toxic
Food grade lubricant

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message

[...]

The ring that holds the complete assembly might be too tight. Best thing to
do is to call Delta customer service. They do a great job in helping out
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

And, me. I'm thinking a tube of water resistant silicone. I've seen that for
other plumbing needs.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ron" wrote in message
Was there a "lube" included in the kit? Did you lube the O-ring?

...thinking out loud...

Beat me to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HD and such have grease made for potable water systems. The one time I used
it, little plastic container, half ounce, three bucks. Pricey, yes, but it
did seem to help. I was rebuilding mop sink faucets.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

No there wasn't, and I thought about but hesitated to put a bit of
silicone grease on the o-rings since they are in contact with water that
someone might drink or cook with.

I did check the inside of the cylindrical body which slips over the
o-rings and it was quite clean and smooth.

I'm guessing that the new o-rings will take a set in a litttle while and
things will return to pre-rebuild conditions.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Ron" wrote in message

Was there a "lube" included in the kit? Did you lube the O-ring?

...thinking out loud...

Beat me to it.

In a pinch, try a little olive oil to see if that helps. Food grade,
of courseG.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:14:08 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

Was there a "lube" included in the kit? Did you lube the O-ring?

...thinking out loud...

Beat me to it.

In a pinch, try a little olive oil to see if that helps. Food grade,
of courseG.

Right. Avoid any "lube" that is petroleum based, like Vaseline.

Posted to alt.home.repair

OP may have over tightened the cap nut the large nut that hold the
ball in place. this would make everything stiff and cause premature
wear too, just try loosening it a half turn to see if it helps......
Posted to alt.home.repair

Had exactly this problem. Had lubed everything in sight. Finally threw
in the sponge, so to speak, and replaced the sucker with a Moen,
though I am partial to Delta faucets. Took old one apart, and found
that water had gotten past the seals in question over the years (5)
since installed, and caused corrosion. PITA.

73 /paul W3FIS
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Delta Single lever kitchen faucet. Fixed?

wrote:

[...]

Followup....

Well it's been nearly a month since my original post on this subject
about installing parts from an Ace Hardware "Delta single lever Full
repair kit".

The faucet spout became more difficult to swing from side to side during
that time. If I tried to move it in the morning before running any water
through the faucet it was noticably stiff to move and emitted a very
nonmetallic "rubbery" squeeeek.

I had enough of this so I gave up and purchased a set of genuine Delta
branded spout body O-rings from an online supplier. (Delta P/N RP25)
They arrived a couple of days ago.

I installed those Delta spout body O-rings this morning and the spout
now swings easily and smoothly, just as it had for some twenty years
prior to installing the O-rings from the Ace Hardware kit.

I did note that the new Delta branded O-rings were a greyish color, not
the usual O-ring black like the Ace Hardware ones. Maybe they've got
some teflon or something mixed into their "rubber" compound.

Anyway, I'm pretty confident that the problem is now solved.

I'm not ranting against Ace Hardware as I doubt that they had much to do
with the O-ring material their faucet repair kit supplier used, and
we're not talking big bucks here, The Ace "full ki"t only cost about $9
and the Delta O-rings set me back about $15, most of that being the
minimum S&H charge.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the follow up. I've found now and again, that official name brand
parts often work better than after market. Sounds like you got good Irish
O'Rings, and all is well.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 May 2012 12:05:41 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the update. Sometimes OEM is best.
Had a similar issue when I put a new aftermarket A/C dryer in my car,
using the o-rings supplied with it. They leaked.
Bought OEM rings, and all was well.

--
Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

A phone call to Delta customer service most likely would have got you all
the repair (parts) kits and advice you needed at no cost. Delta faucets
have a life time warranty (or they did).
MLD