Posted to alt.home.repair

Default single lever faucet leak problem

Hi,
I installed a new 'kit' on my delta single lever sink faucet.
It had been dripping badly, and the kit fixed it. The kit included a
new ball, new O rings, new springs and gaskets, and a new
large rubber washer that fits under a hard plastic cap which the
main chrome screw cap fits over.

However, when I use the water it leaks badly around the chrome ball
and socket.
Before I turn off the water [its difficult in this house and hard to
explain]
again and dissassemble, does this type of leak indicate an obvious
problem? Do I need to get vice grips and tighten down the chrome ring
[which compresses the large rubber washer] more?

thx.

itchy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I installed a new 'kit' on my delta single lever sink faucet.
It had been dripping badly, and the kit fixed it. The kit included a
new ball, new O rings, new springs and gaskets, and a new
large rubber washer that fits under a hard plastic cap which the
main chrome screw cap fits over.

However, when I use the water it leaks badly around the chrome ball
and socket.
Before I turn off the water [its difficult in this house and hard to
explain]
again and dissassemble, does this type of leak indicate an obvious
problem? Do I need to get vice grips and tighten down the chrome ring
[which compresses the large rubber washer] more?

Sounds like something is not seated properly. Be sure the ball is in the
proper position. Going from memory, there is a grove thing that has to sit
in just right.

When you shut the water off, install shut off valves right at the sink to
save problems in the future. Extra work now, much less later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I installed a new 'kit' on my delta single lever sink faucet.
It had been dripping badly, and the kit fixed it. [...]

Sounds like something is not seated properly. Be sure the ball is in the
proper position. Going from memory, there is a grove thing that has to sit
in just right.

Yes I got the groove in the ball on the metal tab, that seems to sit
correctly.

When you shut the water off, install shut off valves right at the sink to
save problems in the future. Extra work now, much less later.

I did notice that the plastic ring that compresses the large rubber
washer
has a little 'tab' on it and it fits into a slot on the threads that
the main
chrome cap screws down onto. But I could not press the washer down
enough
to get the tab into the groove while tighening the ring on the top. The
ring
and the washer under it would turn as I tightened down the chrome cap.
I guess this means that the tab is pressing on top of the threads.

Maybe just taking a penknife and scraping off that tab would allow the
plastic
ring to compress the washer better?

Btw, I've got shut off valves under the sink but even with both hands I
can't get
the water to stop, so I have to use a main valve which has difficult
access.

thx,

itchy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ok, I cut off the little plastic tab so the rubber gasket would fit
down better,
and put some teflon tape around the threads, and that seems to have
fixed
it for now. Nothing leaking under the sink, so I hope this will work.