Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Critter(s) under the house

Used to be that access to the crawl space of the house was available to
all manner of animals. A few years ago I closed off all access but one,
put finely sifted dirt in front of the one remaining access, made sure
that no creature had traversed it for a few days and closed off the last
access. Done.

A few weeks ago I noticed that the covering for one access had come off,
so I put finely sifted dirt across the door jam and yep, foot prints.
Probably a cat, I think. I put a dish with ammonia in it and a rag
inside the door there, but the foot prints have reappeared a couple of
times.

How can I repell the animal? If I see no footprints for a couple of days
(3 preferred) I think I can deduce that there are not animals in there
and I can close the space again. I sure don't want to have to go in
there and remove a decomposing animal. Thanks for ideas/help.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at sonic dot net
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 8:30*am, Dan Musicant wrote:
[...]

any animal capable of digging can get under your home, the cat may be
visiting hunting for mice rats etc....

when you sealed up the crawlspace did you provide air circulation?

might be a good idea to crawl under there and look around every couple
of years. as a routine maintence check
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
news
Used to be that access to the crawl space of the house was available to
all manner of animals. A few years ago I closed off all access but one
. . .
How can I repell the animal? If I see no footprints for a couple of days
(3 preferred) I think I can deduce that there are not animals in there
and I can close the space again.

If you want a permanent solution, install in the unique access space
the door subassembly from a Have-a-Hart trap, configured so as to
allow exit only but no entry to the crawlspace.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2012 5:30 AM, Dan Musicant wrote:
[...]

I had a problem with a possum under my shed.
He redug access as fast as I could plug it up.
Managed to kill one with ammonia. Bad decision.
I had more maggots and flies than I could count.
People told me I had to block access at least two
feet deep. That wasn't reasonable.
I toyed with the concept of a pressure-switch activated
stun gun.
The fix was to raise the whole thing a foot and leave it open.
No more possum.
I think you're stuck with the two foot deep solution.
The stun gun is pretty risky from a legal standpoint.

A related issue...
my neighbor had a problem with racoons eating his vegetables.
I put up a motion-activated webcam and we watched 'em
evade the trigger in the traps he put out.
Fascinating.
Of course, once you trap one, you've got to get rid of it.
Around here there aren't any legal ways to do that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2012 8:30 AM, Dan Musicant wrote:
[...]

Last time (6 years ago) we had critters burrowing under our house
(near-in suburbs, not a rural setting) it was a family of red foxes.
Mama, dad, and 3 cubs. Very adorable, but not wanted. Trappers didn't
believe us until they caught one. The others were trapped in succession
after a number of ammonia soaked rags were stuffed down the access hole.
We filled the burrow hole with concrete and covered the concrete with
top soil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 21:50:43 -0400, Peter wrote:

[...]

I would not want to hurt any cats, since cats are not varmin, but if
it's some sort of varmin, I dont just use ammonia, I mix bleach with it.
The vapors will drive out anything. I dont know if I'd do this for a
house, but I have used it on sheds and critters that tunnel under my
driveway. I have had something large digging under a shed, and I just
used the bleach and ammonia for the last 3 days. I had tried everything
else, even dumped in some used anti-freeze. Everytime I fill the hole,
it came right back. I think this will work. If not, I intend to put
some plastic tent stakes on each side of the two holes , put bare wires
in the shape of a grid, and connect them to an electric cattle fencer.
I know that will stop them. I zapped a coon once with the fencer and it
never came back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure it did any good. But, I stuffed a lit highway road flare down a
woodchuck hole, one time. And then back filled it with dirt.

The fence charger might work. Hope not to zap a neighbor, or a child.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

I dont just use ammonia, I mix bleach with it.
The vapors will drive out anything. I dont know if I'd do this for a
house, but I have used it on sheds and critters that tunnel under my
driveway. I have had something large digging under a shed, and I just
used the bleach and ammonia for the last 3 days. I had tried everything
else, even dumped in some used anti-freeze. Everytime I fill the hole,
it came right back. I think this will work. If not, I intend to put
some plastic tent stakes on each side of the two holes , put bare wires
in the shape of a grid, and connect them to an electric cattle fencer.
I know that will stop them. I zapped a coon once with the fencer and it
never came back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

:
[...]

There's air circulation, well certainly enough to let animals breath.

I could go under there today but that doesn't mean I'd know if animals
weren't hiding.

Email: dmusicant at sonic dot net
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 09:46:18 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

:"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
:news :
: Used to be that access to the crawl space of the house was available to
: all manner of animals. A few years ago I closed off all access but one
: . . .
: How can I repell the animal? If I see no footprints for a couple of days
: (3 preferred) I think I can deduce that there are not animals in there
: and I can close the space again.
:
:If you want a permanent solution, install in the unique access space
:the door subassembly from a Have-a-Hart trap, configured so as to
:allow exit only but no entry to the crawlspace.

I was thinking of making my own one-way door, a bit of a project. Didn't
think that they have them premade. I'll look into that. Thanks.

Email: dmusicant at sonic dot net
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 06:25:41 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

:I'm not sure it did any good. But, I stuffed a lit highway road flare down a
:woodchuck hole, one time. And then back filled it with dirt.
:
:The fence charger might work. Hope not to zap a neighbor, or a child.
:
:Christopher A. Young
:Learn more about Jesus
: www.lds.org
:.
:
wrote in message
:
:I dont just use ammonia, I mix bleach with it.
:The vapors will drive out anything. I dont know if I'd do this for a
:house, but I have used it on sheds and critters that tunnel under my
:driveway. I have had something large digging under a shed, and I just
:used the bleach and ammonia for the last 3 days. I had tried everything
:else, even dumped in some used anti-freeze. Everytime I fill the hole,
:it came right back. I think this will work. If not, I intend to put
:some plastic tent stakes on each side of the two holes , put bare wires
:in the shape of a grid, and connect them to an electric cattle fencer.
:I know that will stop them. I zapped a coon once with the fencer and it
:never came back.
:
:
I've heard (labels) that mixing ammonia and bleach is dangerous in that
it produces deadly chlorine gas. IIRC that's a chemical warefare agent,
nasty and potentially very dangerous.

There was a hole next to the entry site whose door came off, don't know
that it was related. Looked like a burrowing animal. I think maybe a cat
is going in/out the door and something else had burrowed inside, likely
before the door came off. I plugged up the hole with rocks and dirt.
Will see what happens. Meantime, the "cat" keeps going in and out,
ammonia be damned, so far.

Email: dmusicant at sonic dot net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:11:05 PM UTC-4, Dan Musicant wrote:
I've heard (labels) that mixing ammonia and bleach is dangerous in that
it produces deadly chlorine gas. IIRC that's a chemical warefare agent,
nasty and potentially very dangerous.

Mixing ammonia and chlorine produces mustard gas and it will f-ck you up with one whiff, if it doesn't kill you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Really?
http://chemistry.about.com/od/toxicc...nd-Ammonia.htm

Makes some nasties, but I don't think that's mustard gas.
http://www.answers.com/topic/mustard-gas
the real answer.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:11:05 PM UTC-4, Dan Musicant wrote:
I've heard (labels) that mixing ammonia and bleach is dangerous in that
it produces deadly chlorine gas. IIRC that's a chemical warefare agent,
nasty and potentially very dangerous.

Mixing ammonia and chlorine produces mustard gas and it will f-ck you up
with one whiff, if it doesn't kill you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Really?http://chemistry.about.com/od/toxicc...leach-And-Ammo...

.

wrote in message

On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:11:05 PM UTC-4, Dan Musicant wrote:
I've heard (labels) that mixing ammonia and bleach is dangerous in that
it produces deadly chlorine gas. IIRC that's a chemical warefare agent,
nasty and potentially very dangerous.

Mixing ammonia and chlorine produces mustard gas and it will f-ck you up
with one whiff, if it doesn't kill you.

Back in the days of working on Ion Implantation machines that used
various 'fun' gases for doping - phosphine, Boron tetrafluoride,
Arsine, and one more name, can't remember. I was told that one of them
made mustard gas, don't remember which one. Might have been the
phosphine. Military likes to do things with phosphor.

Do remember the most used, boron tetrafuoride, when it hit air broke
down into hydrofluoric acid of significant concentration. Enough that
it took out all your mucosa linings. And I can vouch for the pain one
gets from just being exposed to 3% HF acid in the commercial form,
called Whink. Under your fingernails, don't notice, until later THEN
feels like your nails are being pulled off for a couple of days -
until the tissues heal..

May have been phosphine. Remember the physicist said, if you smell it,
you're dead. He had actually gone through a phosphine leak, smelled
it, but didn't die. Just did a LOT of damage to him. What did it smell
like? Wet hay, he said.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:11:05 PM UTC-4, Dan Musicant wrote:
I've heard (labels) that mixing ammonia and bleach is dangerous in that
it produces deadly chlorine gas. IIRC that's a chemical warefare agent,
nasty and potentially very dangerous.

Mixing ammonia and chlorine produces mustard gas and it will f-ck you up
with one whiff, if it doesn't kill you.

Just remembered my father's father's brother died after returning from
WWI and the complications from exposure to mustard gas.

My grandfather only described his brother's grueling death, once, then
never spoke of it again.

Critter Conundrum JJ[_8_] Home Repair 16 November 10th 10 06:32 PM
critter spray gun Don D. Woodworking 16 April 14th 05 10:49 PM
Critter spray gun Don D. Metalworking 7 April 8th 05 09:36 PM
Critter sprayer JR-jred Woodworking 25 August 3rd 04 04:47 PM