JR-jred

Default Critter sprayer

Anybody own one? How do you like it?

I have a bunch of plywood pieces to finis with a water base poly varnish
and it looks like this little sprayer would be ideal for the project.
Easy cleanup and storage of varnish and thinner in ordinary mason jars
is particularly appealing. So the question is, does the thing actually
work well enough to justify the $50 it's going to cost?

TIA

--
-JR
Hung like Einstein and smart as a horse
Kevin Singleton

It does.

Kevin
--
=====
"JR-jred" wrote in message
Anybody own one? How do you like it?

So the question is, does the thing actually
work well enough to justify the $50 it's going to cost?

Bob Gramza

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...645640-9576742

"nevems2" wrote in message ...
: Whats a "Critter sprayer"? Can you tell me where to find one on the WEB?
:
: MB
: "JR-jred" wrote in message
: ...
: Anybody own one? How do you like it?
:
: I have a bunch of plywood pieces to finis with a water base poly varnish
: and it looks like this little sprayer would be ideal for the project.
: Easy cleanup and storage of varnish and thinner in ordinary mason jars
: is particularly appealing. So the question is, does the thing actually
: work well enough to justify the $50 it's going to cost?
:
: TIA
:
: --
: -JR
: Hung like Einstein and smart as a horse
: Remove NO SPAM from e-mai address to reply
:
:
:
:
: http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
: -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Jay

JR-jred wrote in message ...
Anybody own one? How do you like it?

I have a bunch of plywood pieces to finis with a water base poly varnish
and it looks like this little sprayer would be ideal for the project.
Easy cleanup and storage of varnish and thinner in ordinary mason jars
is particularly appealing. So the question is, does the thing actually
work well enough to justify the $50 it's going to cost?

TIA

100%. Absolutely. Best thing I ever bought for my little pancake
compressor. Buy it now. After you do, go to wal-mart and buy a case of
pint-size mason jars.

Tips:

start at 30 PSI and work your way up/down. Buy a pressure reguator to
keep on the gun so you don't have to make adjustments at the tank.

mp

Anybody own one? How do you like it?

I have a bunch of plywood pieces to finis with a water base poly varnish
and it looks like this little sprayer would be ideal for the project.
Easy cleanup and storage of varnish and thinner in ordinary mason jars
is particularly appealing. So the question is, does the thing actually
work well enough to justify the $50 it's going to cost?

I tried one and promptly returned it after using it once. What I didn't like
about it is that it has a fixed spray pattern and generates tons of
overspray. It has it's uses and it's probably worth the money, though for
the same amount or slightly more, you can get a real spray gun which would
be more versatile, but it'll probably require a larger air compressor.

If you're spraying water-based finishes don't worry too much about cleanup.
All you need to do is pour out the finish, rinse the cup, and run some water
through. The mason jar storage of the critter is appealing but bear in mind
this advantage is negated if you're spraying clearcoats as it's a good idea
to run the finish through a filter and pour into a clean jar before you
spray.

Richard Clements

why would you get this over say the HF 21 PC. PAINT SPRAY GUN KIT for
$29.99, ya it's HF but it's a lot more versatile, anyone with thoughts
about this?

patriarch wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
link.net:

snip

I'm glad you posted this. I'd been reading enough about this little
sprayer that I finally went out to Amazon.com and took a look. My
first impression was not very favorable, but since I never shot with
one, I was interested in the experiences and opinions of others. As I
looked at it I had the thought that I could just continue to use my
little Binks doorjam gun and get a much better job over a wider
spectrum of finishes.

Well, yeah. If I had a Binks door jam gun, that's what I'd do, too. This
Critter isn't a Binks. It isn't a pro painter tool. It's a simple add-on
to a Mason jar and a brad-nailer-type compressor. And it's $50. It's an
alternative to a brush, or a rag, not to an Apollo or Fuji HVLP rig.

Use the best tool you can get your hands on.

Patriarch

Unisaw A100

JR-jred wrote:
Anybody own one?

Yes.

How do you like it?

A lot. Google for the rest of the review.

So the question is, does the thing actually
work well enough to justify the $50 it's going to cost?

A'yup.

UA100
Kevin Singleton

It's all about the Mason jars.

Kevin
--
=====
"Richard Clements" wrote in message
why would you get this over say the HF 21 PC. PAINT SPRAY GUN KIT for
$29.99, ya it's HF but it's a lot more versatile, anyone with thoughts
about this?

patrick conroy

"Kevin Singleton" wrote in message

It's all about the Mason jars.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! 32nd and 33rd degree Mason jars only!

The Guy

patrick conroy wrote:

"Kevin Singleton" wrote in message

It's all about the Mason jars.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! 32nd and 33rd degree Mason jars only!

Yup, but those jars all have left hand threads!

Tim
--
No BoomBoom for me! -

JGS

The main problem with most spray guns is cleaning them. I often spend 2 minutes
spraying and then 10-15 minutes cleaning. That is the appeal of the critter. 2
minutes of spraying and 30 seconds of cleaning. As was said , the mason jars are
the appeal. Cheers, JG

patriarch wrote:

[...]

Mike Marlow

"JGS" wrote in message
The main problem with most spray guns is cleaning them. I often spend 2

minutes
spraying and then 10-15 minutes cleaning. That is the appeal of the

critter. 2
minutes of spraying and 30 seconds of cleaning. As was said , the mason

jars are
the appeal. Cheers, JG

I'll second that. I never mind painting until I'm done and have to do the
clean up.
--

-Mike-

Wally Goffeney

wrote:

Anybody own one? How do you like it?

I have a bunch of plywood pieces to finis with a water base poly varnish
and it looks like this little sprayer would be ideal for the project.
Easy cleanup and storage of varnish and thinner in ordinary mason jars
is particularly appealing. So the question is, does the thing actually
work well enough to justify the $50 it's going to cost?

TIA

Currently $38 on EBay, plus shipping of course.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/wgoffe...oodworking.htm

Fuhr has a cleaner that at a glance might make the odious cleaning
less of a drudge. Jeff Jewitt carries it and describes it and uses
it. www.homesteadfinishing.com

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 00:00:10 GMT, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"JGS" wrote in message
The main problem with most spray guns is cleaning them. I often spend 2

minutes
spraying and then 10-15 minutes cleaning. That is the appeal of the

critter. 2
minutes of spraying and 30 seconds of cleaning. As was said , the mason

jars are
the appeal. Cheers, JG

I'll second that. I never mind painting until I'm done and have to do the
clean up.

JR-jred

Thanks for all the tips. I bought it, used it and after a little
fiddling around with the pressure, I love it.

Only potential problem is the mason jars. I have to be really careful
not to get the finishing products mixed up with my corn liquor.

--
-JR
Hung like Einstein and smart as a horse
Remove NO SPAM from e-mai address to reply
Edwin Pawlowski

"JR-jred" wrote in message

Only potential problem is the mason jars. I have to be really careful
not to get the finishing products mixed up with my corn liquor.

Use that for clean up after spraying shellac.

Dan Cullimore

The Guy wrote in message news:uTwOc.119$7k6.104@trndny05...
patrick conroy wrote:

"Kevin Singleton" wrote in message

It's all about the Mason jars.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! 32nd and 33rd degree Mason jars only!

Yup, but those jars all have left hand threads!

Tim

Don't forget the handshake and funny hats.

Dan
JR-jred

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"JR-jred" wrote in message

Only potential problem is the mason jars. I have to be really careful
not to get the finishing products mixed up with my corn liquor.

Use that for clean up after spraying shellac.

Perish the thought!! A terrible waste of good corn liquor. I use the
store-bought stuff for that.

--
-JR
Hung like Einstein and smart as a horse
Remove NO SPAM from e-mai address to reply
Pat Barber

What did you find the best pressure to be ???

(I got one but wanted to hear your results)

JR-jred wrote:

Thanks for all the tips. I bought it, used it and after a little
fiddling around with the pressure, I love it.

Unisaw A100

30-40 psi.

UA100
Pat Barber

OK... I just wanted make sure I was in the groove on
that psi thingy... That's what I ended up with also.

Unisaw A100 wrote:

30-40 psi.

UA100

JR-jred

In article
,

JR-jred wrote:

Thanks for all the tips. I bought it, used it and after a little
fiddling around with the pressure, I love it.

Just under 30 lbs for water base poly urethane varnish. Haven't tried
other coatings yet.

--
-JR
Hung like Einstein and smart as a horse
Remove NO SPAM from e-mai address to reply

Has anyone seen this HVLP sprayer fromHF that hooks to your shopvac? Greg Woodworking 2 February 24th 04 01:23 PM
HVLP Sprayer?? Ron A Woodworking 1 December 31st 03 09:02 AM
please help with HVLP sprayer question Duke Woodworking 3 December 27th 03 04:37 PM
HVLP Sprayer Selection Dominic Palazzola Woodworking 6 July 27th 03 09:12 AM