Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood Pecker Damage

I couldn't beleive what I saw today. The rear corne of my house looked
like the paint was peeling. Tonite I happened to be closer to the
corner and I see these big chew holes in my cedar shingle siding. I
will get it fixed, but whats to prevent it from happening again? I
read that its not necessarily due to insects in the wood that draws
the wood peckers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I couldn't beleive what I saw today. The rear corne of my house looked
like the paint was peeling. Tonite I happened to be closer to the
corner and I see these big chew holes in my cedar shingle siding. I
will get it fixed, but whats to prevent it from happening again? I
read that its not necessarily due to insects in the wood that draws
the wood peckers.

I would like to know what bugs are in it.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 8:10*pm, gregz wrote:
wrote:
I couldn't beleive what I saw today. The rear corne of my house looked
like the paint was peeling. Tonite I happened to be closer to the
corner and I see these big chew holes in my cedar shingle siding. I
will get it fixed, but whats to prevent it from happening again? I
read that its not necessarily due to insects in the wood that draws
the wood peckers.

I would like to know what bugs are in it.

Greg

I'm not sure if there are any bugs. I read that wood peckers do this
to be territorial. I did have ice dams 2 winters ago which of course
will attract carpenter ants, but I havent seen any ants lately. I'm
going to have a contractor repair the damage. I wonder if I should
call my insurance company.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:09:08 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

writes:

I couldn't beleive what I saw today. The rear corne of my house looked
like the paint was peeling. Tonite I happened to be closer to the
corner and I see these big chew holes in my cedar shingle siding. I
will get it fixed, but whats to prevent it from happening again? I
read that its not necessarily due to insects in the wood that draws
the wood peckers.

I believe this is most common, and the way it happened to me:

Carpenter bees first, then the wood peckers.

I have no wood pecker experience, but I read to put in mothballs where
the carpenter bees make holes, then cover with plastic wood or maybe
anything. I read this the day after I covered my holes w/o moth
balls, but they never came back. I probably sprayed a bunch of them
to death when I was patching the holes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

writes:

I couldn't beleive what I saw today. The rear corne of my house looked
like the paint was peeling. Tonite I happened to be closer to the
corner and I see these big chew holes in my cedar shingle siding. I
will get it fixed, but whats to prevent it from happening again? I
read that its not necessarily due to insects in the wood that draws
the wood peckers.

I believe this is most common, and the way it happened to me:

*Carpenter bees first, then the wood peckers.

I have no wood pecker experience, but I read to put in mothballs where
the carpenter bees make holes, *then cover with plastic wood or maybe
anything. * * I read this the day after I covered my holes w/o moth
balls, but they never came back. * I probably sprayed a bunch of them
to death when I was patching the holes.

I had woodpeckers peck into my cedar shingle siding years ago, there
were no insects or the house would be gone by now . I filled the
holes with caulking and repainted over the patched area. They didn't
come back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

writes:

[...]

That's what I'm thinking, no insects. What did you fill the shinlges
with. My shingles are really butchered. Can i use wood filler?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 1:01*pm, Lane wrote:
wrote:
I couldn't beleive what I saw today. The rear corne of my house looked
like the paint was peeling. Tonite I happened to be closer to the
corner and I see these big chew holes in my cedar shingle siding. I
will get it fixed, but whats to prevent it from happening again? I
read that its not necessarily due to insects in the wood that draws
the wood peckers.

Woodpeckers don't chew. They're not strong enough to cause the kind of
damage you're describing.

Sounds like squirrels -- this is exactly the kind of thing they do.
They typically get access to the upper parts of a house via
overhanging trees or tall shrubs. You might need to do some serious
tree-trimming.

I saw the woodpeckers, so I am sure itwas not squirrels. I filled the
holes with ordinary caulking, used a knfe to make grooves to match the
original texture, and then painted to match.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 2:01*pm, Lane wrote:
wrote:
I couldn't beleive what I saw today. The rear corne of my house looked
like the paint was peeling. Tonite I happened to be closer to the
corner and I see these big chew holes in my cedar shingle siding. I
will get it fixed, but whats to prevent it from happening again? I
read that its not necessarily due to insects in the wood that draws
the wood peckers.

Woodpeckers don't chew. They're not strong enough to cause the kind of
damage you're describing.

Sounds like squirrels -- this is exactly the kind of thing they do.
They typically get access to the upper parts of a house via
overhanging trees or tall shrubs. You might need to do some serious
tree-trimming.

No trees near by. They were wood peckers. I'm thinking of using bondo
for repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:16:44 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

wrote:

writes:

[...]

I'll say this. If you're able to paint afterwards, you don't have to
use wood filler just because they are wood. It seems like that
might be one of the compulsuive home repair commandments, but it's
not.

I have no experience with those shingles and dont' know what woudl
stick, be able to be given a nice edge, if the edge is visible,, etc.
but there are lots of possibiilites, some in a caulking tube.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 5:56*pm, wrote:
On Apr 22, 2:01*pm, Lane wrote:

wrote:
I couldn't beleive what I saw today. The rear corne of my house looked
like the paint was peeling. Tonite I happened to be closer to the
corner and I see these big chew holes in my cedar shingle siding. I
will get it fixed, but whats to prevent it from happening again? I
read that its not necessarily due to insects in the wood that draws
the wood peckers.

Woodpeckers don't chew. They're not strong enough to cause the kind of
damage you're describing.

Sounds like squirrels -- this is exactly the kind of thing they do.
They typically get access to the upper parts of a house via
overhanging trees or tall shrubs. You might need to do some serious
tree-trimming.

No trees near by. They were wood peckers. I'm thinking of using bondo
for repair.

I thnk bondo would work just fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Think as a woodpecker does!?

In a case of unseen bugs or unseen evidence of bugs: You might aught to do a thorough inspection for bugs, anyway. Woodperckers can hear bugs behind tree bark, then dig after them, so an undamaged shingle is not necessarily the woodpeckers concern or deciding factor. The bugs don't have to be visible nor does their damage have to be visible.

On a sunny side of the house, cedar can crackle, a bit, as it expands when heated by the sun, especially after a cool night. The woodpeckers may be responding to this sound, also, so the territorial reasoning may not be a sure thing, either.

Sonny