Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Wood Pecker Damage

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:16:44 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Apr 21, 10:55*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Apr 21, 9:39*pm, micky wrote:

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:09:08 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

writes:

I couldn't beleive what I saw today. The rear corne of my house looked
like the paint was peeling. Tonite I happened to be closer to the
corner and I see these big chew holes in my cedar shingle siding. I
will get it fixed, but whats to prevent it from happening again? I
read that its not necessarily due to insects in the wood that draws
the wood peckers.

I believe this is most common, and the way it happened to me:

*Carpenter bees first, then the wood peckers.

I have no wood pecker experience, but I read to put in mothballs where
the carpenter bees make holes, *then cover with plastic wood or maybe
anything. * * I read this the day after I covered my holes w/o moth
balls, but they never came back. * I probably sprayed a bunch of them
to death when I was patching the holes.

I had woodpeckers peck into my cedar shingle siding years ago, there
were no insects or the house would be gone by now . *I filled the
holes with caulking and repainted over the patched area. *They didn't
come back.

That's what I'm thinking, no insects. What did you fill the shinlges
with. My shingles are really butchered. Can i use wood filler?

I'll say this. If you're able to paint afterwards, you don't have to
use wood filler just because they are wood. It seems like that
might be one of the compulsuive home repair commandments, but it's
not.

I have no experience with those shingles and dont' know what woudl
stick, be able to be given a nice edge, if the edge is visible,, etc.
but there are lots of possibiilites, some in a caulking tube.