Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Termite damage in old large wood box

I have an old very large solid wood box; the wood is beautiful, not too sure
what it is though. The sides are dove-tailed, and the only nails/screws are
the ones used to hold the skirting and hinges.

Someone from my neighborhood was shifting house and after they left, they
dumped this box (together with their other junk) out on the front lawn-
which is so large it can accomodate an 6 foot adult or two kids. Measures
about 1metre x 500cm x 300cm.

However, there appears to be some old termite infestation in the bottom
section of the box and on one of the sides; about 5% of the box. There was
also a small colony of black ants. I washed them out with a hose and sprayed
the box with Baygon, but I am a bit worried about the old termite nest
section. I don't think there are any more termites. What should I do? Should
I give it another good spray and then paint over the termite section using a
wood filler?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stan E. Markerson" wrote in message
[...]

What kind of termites? If subterranean, they'll be dead in no time without
a connection to the ground. If drywood, you're on your own as I don't
really know much about them.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message

What kind of termites? If subterranean, they'll be dead in no time
without a connection to the ground. If drywood, you're on your own as I
don't really know much about them.

Hard to tell. I think they're long gone. I don't see any. But the box does
have termite damage marks, I think. Or maybe its just caused by the black
household ants. It looks like the box was left in a wet spot and so the
bottom section of wood was always damp and easy prey for the ants.

Posted to rec.woodworking

However, there appears to be some old termite infestation in the bottom
section of the box and on one of the sides; about 5% of the box. There was
also a small colony of black ants. I washed them out with a hose and sprayed
the box with Baygon, but I am a bit worried about the old termite nest
section. I don't think there are any more termites. What should I do? Should
I give it another good spray and then paint over the termite section using a
wood filler?

Take a a small saucer with a few mothballs, set it in the bottom of
the box. Wrap the box in plastic sheeting. Set the box in the garage
out of the weather for about 2 weeks. Any live insects remaining
will be gone and any eggs should be dead.

After two weeks, unwrap, vacuum out any debris, air out, sit it on a
clean plastic sheet, off the floor for a few days and watch for any
insect activity. Look for wee piles of sawdust.

By all means strip and refinish it but consider leaving the bug holes
alone. Call that character.

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stan E. Markerson" wrote in message
u...
"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message

What kind of termites? If subterranean, they'll be dead in no time
without a connection to the ground. If drywood, you're on your own as I
don't really know much about them.

Hard to tell. I think they're long gone. I don't see any. But the box does
have termite damage marks, I think. Or maybe its just caused by the black
household ants. It looks like the box was left in a wet spot and so the
bottom section of wood was always damp and easy prey for the ants.

Do you live in an area with drywood termites? One thing you could do just
for peace of mind is spray it down with an insecticide. Spectracide comes
to mind and keep an eye on it. I'd get it up off the ground for sure
either way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, I gave it a good hard spray with outdoor Baygon.

Its now sitting on a metal trolley, 1 foot off the ground, outside in my
paved courtyard.

I see a couple of dazed black ants but no termites.