Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson James \Cubby\ Culbertson is offline

Default Termite damage in old large wood box

"Stan E. Markerson" wrote in message
u...
"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message

What kind of termites? If subterranean, they'll be dead in no time
without a connection to the ground. If drywood, you're on your own as I
don't really know much about them.

Hard to tell. I think they're long gone. I don't see any. But the box does
have termite damage marks, I think. Or maybe its just caused by the black
household ants. It looks like the box was left in a wet spot and so the
bottom section of wood was always damp and easy prey for the ants.

Do you live in an area with drywood termites? One thing you could do just
for peace of mind is spray it down with an insecticide. Spectracide comes
to mind and keep an eye on it. I'd get it up off the ground for sure
either way.