Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning paint-roller pans

Two words: Pressure washer.

You may recall I used a pressure washer on some interior walls(!).

Well, the walls are painted; now it's time to clean up. Since the pressure
washer was still sitting on the walkway, well, why not?

Done it three minutes!

It used to take me twenty minutes or more to clean a roller pan in the sink.
Now the job is over before I can recite the Gettysburg Address! Plus, the
clean-up is almost enjoyable.

(I didn't try the rollers - they went in the trash.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2012 9:09 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Two words: Pressure washer.

You may recall I used a pressure washer on some interior walls(!).

Well, the walls are painted; now it's time to clean up. Since the pressure
washer was still sitting on the walkway, well, why not?

Done it three minutes!

It used to take me twenty minutes or more to clean a roller pan in the sink.
Now the job is over before I can recite the Gettysburg Address! Plus, the
clean-up is almost enjoyable.

(I didn't try the rollers - they went in the trash.)

I use plastic shopping bags as paint tray liners. Makes cleaning up a
snap. Have also used those prewashed salad bins as handy disposable
paint trays for smaller rollers.

As for rollers, for latex paints I use microfibre rollers now. Easy to
wash with cold water.

Pressure washer is a unique idea but I dunno if I'd wanna set-up all up
for 2 or 3 minutes cleanings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 20:09:07 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Two words: Pressure washer.

You may recall I used a pressure washer on some interior walls(!).

Well, the walls are painted; now it's time to clean up. Since the pressure
washer was still sitting on the walkway, well, why not?

Done it three minutes!

It used to take me twenty minutes or more to clean a roller pan in the sink.
Now the job is over before I can recite the Gettysburg Address! Plus, the
clean-up is almost enjoyable.

(I didn't try the rollers - they went in the trash.)

Wow, I never could justify a pressure washer, but this is making me
re-evaluate that position.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" writes:

Two words: Pressure washer.

You may recall I used a pressure washer on some interior walls(!).

Well, the walls are painted; now it's time to clean up. Since the pressure
washer was still sitting on the walkway, well, why not?

Done it three minutes!

It used to take me twenty minutes or more to clean a roller pan in the sink.
Now the job is over before I can recite the Gettysburg Address! Plus, the
clean-up is almost enjoyable.

Where do you do this?
Where does the paint/water mix go?

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Two words: Pressure washer.

You may recall I used a pressure washer on some interior walls(!).

Well, the walls are painted; now it's time to clean up. Since the
pressure washer was still sitting on the walkway, well, why not?

Done it three minutes!

It used to take me twenty minutes or more to clean a roller pan in
the sink. Now the job is over before I can recite the Gettysburg
Address! Plus, the clean-up is almost enjoyable.

(I didn't try the rollers - they went in the trash.)

A few minutes with a garden hose nozzle cleans both the pan and the roller.

Use a long extension handle on the roller, and the jet nozzle of the hose to
spin it at high speed while it cleans. Tilt the roller so it doesn't spray you.
Lastly, spin the roller at high speed by holding the water jet just right, then
pull the water away. The roller is spun pratically dry. Just hose out the pan,
that's easy. I easily re-use rollers many times. Haven't actually thrown one
away in years.

I do a quick rinse in the laundry tub to get rid of the bulk of the paint, then
the rest over the lawn. A light spray on the lawn afterwards cleans it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 8, 2012 9:09:07 PM UTC-4, HeyBub wrote:
Two words: Pressure washer.

You may recall I used a pressure washer on some interior walls(!).

Well, the walls are painted; now it's time to clean up. Since the pressure
washer was still sitting on the walkway, well, why not?

Done it three minutes!

It used to take me twenty minutes or more to clean a roller pan in the sink.
Now the job is over before I can recite the Gettysburg Address! Plus, the
clean-up is almost enjoyable.

(I didn't try the rollers - they went in the trash.)

I like the disposable liners, using a plastic bag is OK too. The PTFE coated pans work well too. Just let it dry then peel it out. Got a bunch of pans at Big Lots the other day. Not even planning to paint but they were cheap enough to use as disposables. Using a pressure washer seems like overkill to me.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
[...]

I went to a painting seminar at the local Home Show. The seminar instructor
advocated a "paint brush spinner". Here's one that also holds rollers:

http://www.amazon.com/SHUR-LINE-5200...3970577&sr=1-1

His tips for cleaning up after latex paint included the following magic
ingredient:

Fabric Softener.

For cleaning oil-based tools:
1. A couple of dips (and spins) in paint thinner, followed by...
2. A similar attack with a 50-50 mix of paint thinner and alcohol, followed
by...
3. A final attack with 100% alcohol.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen wrote:
"HeyBub" writes:

Two words: Pressure washer.

You may recall I used a pressure washer on some interior walls(!).

Well, the walls are painted; now it's time to clean up. Since the
pressure washer was still sitting on the walkway, well, why not?

Done it three minutes!

It used to take me twenty minutes or more to clean a roller pan in
the sink. Now the job is over before I can recite the Gettysburg
Address! Plus, the clean-up is almost enjoyable.

Where do you do this?
Where does the paint/water mix go?

The lawn, where I hope it will kill the weeds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 1:52*am, JIMMIE wrote:

On Sunday, April 8, 2012 9:09:07 PM UTC-4, HeyBub wrote:
Two words: Pressure washer.

You may recall I used a pressure washer on some interior walls(!).

Well, the walls are painted; now it's time to clean up. Since the pressure
washer was still sitting on the walkway, well, why not?

Done it three minutes!

It used to take me twenty minutes or more to clean a roller pan in the sink.
Now the job is over before I can recite the Gettysburg Address! Plus, the
clean-up is almost enjoyable.

(I didn't try the rollers - they went in the trash.)

I like the disposable liners,

+1 to that. Just picked up some for 75c a piece.
No fuss, no muss. I also have one of the smaller
paint cans with a strap you can hold in your hand
and they have liners for that too.

Anyone have tips for how to get any latex paint
off brushes after some of it has hardened? Most
of it comes right off, but at the end of the day, there
is that stubborn line higher up on the brush where it
has partially dried.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 5:42*am, "
wrote:
On Apr 9, 1:52*am, JIMMIE wrote:

[...]

Easy Off brand of window cleaner. Now GONE from the market!

Simply spray and wipe, line disappeared.

I've tried several other brands, nothing the same. But, Walmart brand
in mechanical pump comes close.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 05:42:15 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Anyone have tips for how to get any latex paint
off brushes after some of it has hardened? Most
of it comes right off, but at the end of the day, there
is that stubborn line higher up on the brush where it
has partially dried.

I haven't tried this yet, but I did read about using TSP.

Use warm water, mix TSP well and then soak the brush overnight.

When I wash brushes at the end of the day I use a SS wire brush to
clean them. Brush in the direction away from the handle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 22:52:24 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

Just let it dry then peel it out.

+1 I do this with both roller pans and paint buckets. Latex will
peel right out the next morning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "HeyBub"
wrote:

Two words: Pressure washer.

You may recall I used a pressure washer on some interior walls(!).

Well, the walls are painted; now it's time to clean up. Since the pressure
washer was still sitting on the walkway, well, why not?

Done it three minutes!

It used to take me twenty minutes or more to clean a roller pan in the sink.
Now the job is over before I can recite the Gettysburg Address! Plus, the
clean-up is almost enjoyable.

(I didn't try the rollers - they went in the trash.)

When I was painting, I usually used a 5 gallon bucket with a screen. If I
used roller pans, I got the plastic liners and put them in the metal pan.
Once any left over paint dried, they could be reused a few times before I
threw them away. At $.50 for a liner, it saved a lot of tilme.

For rollers, I'd put them in a bucket of warm water and soap and let them
bounce around in the bed of my truck on the way home. Rinse them out a
bit, then throw all of them (usually 4+ on a job, in the washing machine
to get the remained of the paint out. Let them air dry.

If you're painting over several days, don't clean the roller covers each
day, but wrap them in plastic, label the color and store. Over a period of
days, they can go in the freezer.

--
chalres

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
" wrote:

[snip]

Anyone have tips for how to get any latex paint
off brushes after some of it has hardened? Most
of it comes right off, but at the end of the day, there
is that stubborn line higher up on the brush where it
has partially dried.

Use a wire brush and brush down the bristles.

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote:

Yup. Only way after it dries.
The best way is to avoid it in the first place.
I always tried to wash my brushes out when they got loaded up near the
handle, or clean them with spirits if using oil.
Even if the job wasn't done yet.
Didn't always work out, but usually did.
Once the paint dries on the bristles, a wire brush is the only way I
could get it out. You might lose some bristles.

Yep.

Painting tip I heard at the local Home & Garden show was to use TWO brushes.
When one got loaded up, dunk it in a pail of water (with fabric softener)
and move to brush #2.

When brush #2 gets loaded, exchange it for brush #1. Rinse #1 back to
pristine condition and you're good to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Bishop wrote:

For rollers, I'd put them in a bucket of warm water and soap and let
them bounce around in the bed of my truck on the way home. Rinse them
out a bit, then throw all of them (usually 4+ on a job, in the
washing machine to get the remained of the paint out. Let them air
dry.

Oooo! Really good idea about the washing machine!

I routinely put my mop head in the washer, but never considered rollers.

Why not expand the concept to brushes?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Bishop wrote:
For rollers, I'd put them in a bucket of warm water and soap and let
them bounce around in the bed of my truck on the way home. Rinse them
out a bit, then throw all of them (usually 4+ on a job, in the
washing machine to get the remained of the paint out. Let them air
dry.

I wonder what SHMBO feels about that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
Charles Bishop wrote:
For rollers, I'd put them in a bucket of warm water and soap and let
them bounce around in the bed of my truck on the way home. Rinse them
out a bit, then throw all of them (usually 4+ on a job, in the
washing machine to get the remained of the paint out. Let them air
dry.

I wonder what SHMBO feels about that.

Women are strange creatures. Mine insists on washing coffee cups.

I don't know why.

Cleaning carbon off non stick pans David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 25 May 18th 20 11:51 PM
Paint and roller trays??? TrailRat UK diy 25 September 26th 07 09:55 PM
Paint roller Nap; primer vs. paint albee Home Repair 2 November 7th 06 05:39 AM
Roller Cleaning John UK diy 11 July 28th 06 01:11 AM
autofeed paint roller / pad Bill Posting UK diy 7 February 7th 05 04:23 PM