Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint and roller trays???

Anybody know the best way to get paint from the can into a roller tray
without half of it ending up down the side of the tin and in that
little "screwdriver" recess on top of the can. I seem to get more
paint over the tin then in the tray.

Help!!!!!

TR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TrailRat" wrote in message
ps.com...
Anybody know the best way to get paint from the can into a roller tray
without half of it ending up down the side of the tin and in that
little "screwdriver" recess on top of the can. I seem to get more
paint over the tin then in the tray.

Help!!!!!

TR

How trivial

Buy a big cooking ladel and scoop it in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 15:16:17 -0000, TrailRat
wrote:

Anybody know the best way to get paint from the can into a roller tray
without half of it ending up down the side of the tin and in that
little "screwdriver" recess on top of the can. I seem to get more
paint over the tin then in the tray.

A soup ladle?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TrailRat wrote:

Anybody know the best way to get paint from the can into a roller tray
without half of it ending up down the side of the tin and in that
little "screwdriver" recess on top of the can. I seem to get more
paint over the tin then in the tray.

I bought, a year or so ago, a plastic pour-spout/snap lid, which fits
onto a standard paint tin. It works very well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TrailRat" wrote in message
ps.com...
Anybody know the best way to get paint from the can into a roller tray
without half of it ending up down the side of the tin and in that
little "screwdriver" recess on top of the can. I seem to get more
paint over the tin then in the tray.

Help!!!!!

TR

As you finish pouring it turn the can slightly. If you can't manage that
don't attempt to paint. Don't forget to avoid painting over windows and
switches!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob Farrell" wrote in message

As you finish pouring it turn the can slightly. If you can't manage that
don't attempt to paint. Don't forget to avoid painting over windows and
switches!

Painting over window glass is not such a bad idea actually...

Ever painted those 15 pane glass doors? a pain in the backside so just paint
the glass sparingly and let the paint dry thoroughly for two days or more.

Fetch a sharp stanley knife blade,run the blade down between the glass and
framework then scrape the paint off with the blade.

Perfect straight lines of paint. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
TrailRat writes
Anybody know the best way to get paint from the can into a roller tray
without half of it ending up down the side of the tin and in that
little "screwdriver" recess on top of the can. I seem to get more
paint over the tin then in the tray.

Use a teaspoon - it will soon focus your mind on a better solution

.... and maybe how easy it is to find solutions to most problems if you
actually think for yourself

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well Thank You for all your wonderful replies. It warms the heart to
read such scintillating responses.

Now I have a question for the masters of the soup ladle. What do you
do if your tin is to small to take a soup ladle or what about when you
get close to the bottom but still don't want to use up the can?

Oh and for those that are interested I use a spray gun to paint walls.
This is to prime and paint large MDF shelves, about a dozen of them.
The spray gun is too OTT for this job and a brush will leave marks I
don't want.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:53:13 -0000, TrailRat
wrote:

Well Thank You for all your wonderful replies. It warms the heart to
read such scintillating responses.

Now I have a question for the masters of the soup ladle. What do you
do if your tin is to small to take a soup ladle or what about when you
get close to the bottom but still don't want to use up the can?

Ooh - erm - use something a bit smaller?

Realistically, if you're using a roller at all you need a fair-sized
tin of paint, to get enough on the roller to be of any use...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TrailRat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well Thank You for all your wonderful replies. It warms the heart to
read such scintillating responses.

Now I have a question for the masters of the soup ladle. What do you
do if your tin is to small to take a soup ladle or what about when you
get close to the bottom but still don't want to use up the can?

Oh and for those that are interested I use a spray gun to paint walls.
This is to prime and paint large MDF shelves, about a dozen of them.
The spray gun is too OTT for this job and a brush will leave marks I
don't want.

It ain't a tin of paint you need...its a pinny.

Sounds to me you watch the pennies to much?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It ain't a tin of paint you need...its a pinny.

Sounds to me you watch the pennies to much?

It's a case of having to.
I collect all the sawdust from my dustbags to press into new boards
I'm so tight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
TrailRat writes
Well Thank You for all your wonderful replies. It warms the heart to
read such scintillating responses.

Now I have a question for the masters of the soup ladle. What do you
do if your tin is to small to take a soup ladle or what about when you
get close to the bottom but still don't want to use up the can?

.... Get a man in ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-31 19:53:13 +0100, TrailRat said:

Well Thank You for all your wonderful replies. It warms the heart to
read such scintillating responses.

Now I have a question for the masters of the soup ladle. What do you
do if your tin is to small to take a soup ladle or what about when you
get close to the bottom but still don't want to use up the can?

Do what everybody else does. Place an object in the tin and return it
to B&Q for a refund.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TrailRat wrote:
It ain't a tin of paint you need...its a pinny.

Sounds to me you watch the pennies to much?

It's a case of having to.
I collect all the sawdust from my dustbags to press into new boards
I'm so tight.

Wonderful post. Thank you, it made me laugh!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TrailRat wrote:
Well Thank You for all your wonderful replies. It warms the heart to
read such scintillating responses.

Charitable ain't they ;-)(

Now I have a question for the masters of the soup ladle. What do you
do if your tin is to small to take a soup ladle or what about when you
get close to the bottom but still don't want to use up the can?

With a small tin, use it directly from the tin.

Oh and for those that are interested I use a spray gun to paint walls.
This is to prime and paint large MDF shelves, about a dozen of them.
The spray gun is too OTT for this job and a brush will leave marks I
don't want.

Try the small 4" wide rollers. Faster and better finish than a brush,
but not anything like as much waste as a big roller.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TrailRat wrote:

Now I have a question for the masters of the soup ladle. What do you
do if your tin is to small to take a soup ladle or what about when you
get close to the bottom but still don't want to use up the can?

Are you for real? Just use a smaller ladle or a large soup spoon or a
baster or ...
This site (though American) has ladles down to 1¼ oz and 2½ " wide bowl.
http://fantes.com/ladles.htm (first result googling for " ladles ")
Sure there are ladles that are of the 1" wide bowl size these tend to
be used in canteens etc for beans/peas etc.

--
'S rioghal mo dhream
Ciamar a tha sibh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message

Are you for real? Just use a smaller ladle or a large soup spoon or a
baster or ...
This site (though American) has ladles down to 1¼ oz and 2½ " wide bowl.
http://fantes.com/ladles.htm (first result googling for " ladles ")
Sure there are ladles that are of the 1" wide bowl size these tend to
be used in canteens etc for beans/peas etc.

--
'S rioghal mo dhream
Ciamar a tha sibh
www.cheesesoup.myby.co.uk

He's for real alright.

I watched a program many moons ago about a bloke that was banned from most
shops and supermarkets because he was a pain in the backside.
He would enter a shop and see items or food at reduced prices and then
banter with the managers to try and get it at even pennies prices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

He's for real alright.

I watched a program many moons ago about a bloke that was banned from most
shops and supermarkets because he was a pain in the backside.
He would enter a shop and see items or food at reduced prices and then
banter with the managers to try and get it at even pennies prices.

Hey, I'm a celebrity. Yay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anybody know the best way to get paint from the can into a roller tray
without half of it ending up down the side of the tin and in that
little "screwdriver" recess on top of the can. I seem to get more
paint over the tin then in the tray.

Help!!!!!

TR

I find those free drinking straws from McDonalds do the job nicely.

Put one end in the paint can and then suck a mouthful through the
straw.

When mouth is full, spit into the tray.

Noz
--
Email (ROT13)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anybody know the best way to get paint from the can into a roller
tray without half of it ending up down the side of the tin and in
that little "screwdriver" recess on top of the can. I seem to get
more paint over the tin then in the tray.

Help!!!!!

TR

I find those free drinking straws from McDonalds do the job nicely.

Put one end in the paint can and then suck a mouthful through the
straw.

When mouth is full, spit into the tray.

Don't! He might just do it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

Ever painted those 15 pane glass doors? a pain in the backside so just paint
the glass sparingly and let the paint dry thoroughly for two days or more.

Doesn't work too well on the textured glass most of these doors seem to
have.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"OldBill" wrote in message
George wrote:

Ever painted those 15 pane glass doors? a pain in the backside so just

paint
the glass sparingly and let the paint dry thoroughly for two days or

more.

Doesn't work too well on the textured glass most of these doors seem to
have.

Arn't they the cheaper variant of the said door?

ie they warp badly.

the ones I'm on about are made of oak an have plain glass or rippled shape
in the center of the glass.
:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Try the small 4" wide rollers. Faster and better finish than a brush,
but not anything like as much waste as a big roller.

I'd second that. You can get closer to the edges/corners with the small
roller and the smaller tray is easier to handle. The refills are so
cheap they're practically disposable.
As for filling the tray I use an old table-spoon (its supposed to be for
the cat's food, but he doesn't know).
Whats more after a short while you can guess how many scoops will do a
particular wall.
So theres usually none to get back into tin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

Arn't they the cheaper variant of the said door?

ie they warp badly.

the ones I'm on about are made of oak an have plain glass or rippled shape
in the center of the glass.

Dunno they came with these houses 20+ years ago. They ain't warped yet.
These are typical internal doors. Is oak used for this in normal homes?
Your idea works ok for plain glass.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"OldBill" wrote in message
George wrote:

Arn't they the cheaper variant of the said door?

ie they warp badly.

the ones I'm on about are made of oak an have plain glass or rippled

shape
in the center of the glass.

Dunno they came with these houses 20+ years ago. They ain't warped yet.
These are typical internal doors. Is oak used for this in normal homes?
Your idea works ok for plain glass.

Original french doors had plain glass only,then soe smart arse started using
textured glass...which give the impress of out of date home ie 60's or 70's

When I moved into this house this had them typical cheap and nasty doors
with crackled yellow glass,soon got rid of em and replaced with the more
expensive proper french doors.

It works on the crackle panes as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:21:55 GMT, soup wrote:

Just use a smaller ladle or a large soup spoon or a
baster or ...

Hello,

Sorry to join in so late. They say there's no such thing as a silly
question; just silly answers, and this thread has has a few

I thought I'd read this thread in case I learned something new, a
trick of the trade as it were. I've never thought of using a spoon or
syringe but I don't know if that solves the problem or whether it just
creates another. After all, isn't a paint tin easier to clean than a
syringe/baster?