andrewpreece

"stuart noble" wrote in message

Ruski wrote in message ...
Advice/thoughts/reasons please

I've recently been doing the mother in laws exterior woodwork painting,

rub
down, undercoat and top coat on facia, guttering/downpipes, window frames
and garage doors with brushes, not rollers.

Although it's taken a long time and it looked top-job when completed, a
fortnight later the topcoat has developed miniscule bubbles, about a

quarter
of a mm across over all the surfaces. I'm led to believe that this is
normally due the undercoat not being dry before coating, but I can pledge
that it was... 3 or four days in some cases, 24 hours in other cases.

There is a slight twist to this tale though.... MIL wanted a two tone

colour
scheme, magnolia and green. The magnolia hasn't bubbled, the green has.
The green was a Dulux mixed product bought from the local shed, along

with
mixed undercoat to match. Could it be a fault in the mixing process? Am

being paranoid?

I'm left with the God awful feeling that I'm going to have to recoat it

all
again (come better weather)... bless my mother-in-law ;-(

IME this can happen when oil paint is applied to either damp surfaces or
things it doesn't bond to vey well (e.g. plastic). You don't mention what
type of paint(s) you're using. Are the magnolia and green the same type?

Is
the bubbling better or worse on the woodwork?
.

I am getting this with dulux ; I bought some planed timber from a builders'
merchant,
gave it two coats of anti-rot treatment, let dry for 24 hours, then knotting
compound over the knots ( 24 hours drying ) then primer ( 24 hours drying,
but it didn't dry properly on top of the knotting compound ), then
undercoat 24 hours etc, finally the topcoat. The topcoat really hasn't
behaved well, all these little bubbles just as described above. I dragged
the paintbrush across the paint to deflate the bubbles but got just as many.
In disgust, I waited 24 hours 'til it had dried, then sanded and put a
second coat on, and not only got the bubbles, but the two coats of gloss
reacted with each other and have wrinkled and ridged up.

I've used weathershield on my fascias recently and haven't had this
problem. he only differences I can see are that:-
(1) it is new wood ( dry though )
(2) the wood surface is horizontal, every other time it has been vertical
(3) I used primer this time, which I haven't before.

Still scratching my head on this one,

Andy.

Ruski

Default Bubbling gloss paint but not for roller reasons..

Advice/thoughts/reasons please

I've recently been doing the mother in laws exterior woodwork painting, rub
down, undercoat and top coat on facia, guttering/downpipes, window frames
and garage doors with brushes, not rollers.

Although it's taken a long time and it looked top-job when completed, a
fortnight later the topcoat has developed miniscule bubbles, about a quarter
of a mm across over all the surfaces. I'm led to believe that this is
normally due the undercoat not being dry before coating, but I can pledge
that it was... 3 or four days in some cases, 24 hours in other cases.

There is a slight twist to this tale though.... MIL wanted a two tone colour
scheme, magnolia and green. The magnolia hasn't bubbled, the green has.
The green was a Dulux mixed product bought from the local shed, along with a
mixed undercoat to match. Could it be a fault in the mixing process? Am I
being paranoid?

I'm left with the God awful feeling that I'm going to have to recoat it all
again (come better weather)... bless my mother-in-law ;-(

Russ

stuart noble

andrewpreece wrote in message ...
I am getting this with dulux ; I bought some planed timber from a builders'
merchant,
gave it two coats of anti-rot treatment, let dry for 24 hours, then

knotting
compound over the knots ( 24 hours drying ) then primer ( 24 hours drying,
but it didn't dry properly on top of the knotting compound ), then
undercoat 24 hours etc, finally the topcoat. The topcoat really hasn't
behaved well, all these little bubbles just as described above. I dragged
the paintbrush across the paint to deflate the bubbles but got just as

many.
In disgust, I waited 24 hours 'til it had dried, then sanded and put a
second coat on, and not only got the bubbles, but the two coats of gloss
reacted with each other and have wrinkled and ridged up.

I can't see that 2 coats of the same paint should react with each other. I
would guess the rot treatment is the problem. Don't know what you used but
often they're solvent based products with very little solid material to
restrict penetration, so they can take a lot longer than 24 hrs to dry
fully. Some leave a water repellant film but presumably they are not
designed to be overpainted.

Ruski

"stuart noble" wrote in message

IME this can happen when oil paint is applied to either damp surfaces or
things it doesn't bond to vey well (e.g. plastic). You don't mention what
type of paint(s) you're using. Are the magnolia and green the same type?

Is
the bubbling better or worse on the woodwork?
.

Guys

the paint is oil based 'Dulux colour mixing system' suitable for wood and
metal. Both the undercoat and topcoat are mixed colours. The Magnolia is
an 'off the shelf' non drip, again by Dulux.
The bubbling is far better on the woodwork, but I do not understand why the
undercoat does not take care of any 'problem' surfaces, as you rightly point
out that the 'non-wood' surfaces are worse, even tho the paint is suitable
for wood and metal (or so it claimed on the tin :-( )

Russ

stuart noble

Ruski wrote in message ...
the paint is oil based 'Dulux colour mixing system' suitable for wood and
metal. Both the undercoat and topcoat are mixed colours. The Magnolia is
an 'off the shelf' non drip, again by Dulux.
The bubbling is far better on the woodwork, but I do not understand why the
undercoat does not take care of any 'problem' surfaces, as you rightly

point
out that the 'non-wood' surfaces are worse, even tho the paint is suitable
for wood and metal (or so it claimed on the tin :-( )

Primer/undercoat is usually the same as the topcoat but with a greater ratio
of solids to binder. Its job is to obscure the surface. Topcoat has more
resin and, applied sparingly on the first coat is more likely to bond to a
problem surface.
Exterior metal is invariably damp at this time of year, even if it hasn't
been raining, and, whereas a water based primer can cope with surface
moisture, oil based can't.

Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM
gloss paint in bathrooms NC UK diy 4 August 9th 03 07:23 AM
Gloss paint and age-discolouration Frank Z UK diy 1 August 4th 03 08:22 AM