Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Cleaning paint-roller pans

Bob F wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Two words: Pressure washer.

You may recall I used a pressure washer on some interior walls(!).

Well, the walls are painted; now it's time to clean up. Since the
pressure washer was still sitting on the walkway, well, why not?

Done it three minutes!

It used to take me twenty minutes or more to clean a roller pan in
the sink. Now the job is over before I can recite the Gettysburg
Address! Plus, the clean-up is almost enjoyable.

(I didn't try the rollers - they went in the trash.)

A few minutes with a garden hose nozzle cleans both the pan and the
roller.
Use a long extension handle on the roller, and the jet nozzle of the
hose to spin it at high speed while it cleans. Tilt the roller so it
doesn't spray you. Lastly, spin the roller at high speed by holding
the water jet just right, then pull the water away. The roller is
spun pratically dry. Just hose out the pan, that's easy. I easily
re-use rollers many times. Haven't actually thrown one away in years.

I do a quick rinse in the laundry tub to get rid of the bulk of the
paint, then the rest over the lawn. A light spray on the lawn
afterwards cleans it.

I went to a painting seminar at the local Home Show. The seminar instructor
advocated a "paint brush spinner". Here's one that also holds rollers:

http://www.amazon.com/SHUR-LINE-5200...3970577&sr=1-1

His tips for cleaning up after latex paint included the following magic
ingredient:

Fabric Softener.

For cleaning oil-based tools:
1. A couple of dips (and spins) in paint thinner, followed by...
2. A similar attack with a 50-50 mix of paint thinner and alcohol, followed
by...
3. A final attack with 100% alcohol.