Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Alternative to MacMaster-Carr?

I didn't provoke anything. And I did provide a description of how
the error might be reproduced, in another post, if you can read.

From: Doug Miller doug_at_milmac_dot_com example.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Alternative to MacMaster-Carr?
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 22:02:15 +0000 (UTC)

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote in news:jlfrj7$rs9$2 dont-email.me:

That you haven't experienced the same is practically meaningless.
Maybe you click slow as molasses. Anyway... I provided a quote of
the error message. Take a look.

Yes, but not what you did to provoke it, other than a general description.

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.UseNet,free.spam

In fact I did provide a description of how to reproduce the
problem. If you weren't a fan boy knee-jerker, you might have seen
it.

From: Doug Miller doug_at_milmac_dot_com example.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,free.UseNet,free.spam
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 22:03:12 +0000 (UTC)

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote in news:jlfrql$rs9$3 dont-email.me:

I just placed an order with OnlineMetals.com. Their inventory is
limited, but their aluminum flat bar is half the price. So that
takes care of part of my order.

I provided the text of the McMaster error message, for anybody who
can read.

Yes, I read it. What you didn't provide is a description of what you did to cause it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet

Try reading the error message, fan boy.

From: Doug Miller doug_at_milmac_dot_com example.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 22:00:12 +0000 (UTC)

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote in news:jlfnnt$80k$1 dont-email.me:

Their website programming limits browsing.

Nonsense. It does nothing of the sort. I think you ought to run a _thorough_ malware scan on
your computer.

[...]
You might be able to simulate the lockout thing by looking up
"aluminum". Find the page that lists all of the aluminum types,
like 2023, 6061, etc. I wanted to see which type was the most
popular, so I began clicking on them to see how many products were
available, and returning to click on the next. Apparently that
prompted the first lockout. Not sure what caused the eight hour
thing, maybe asking them for advice about where else to shop. But
hey, if they are so helpful, they should be able to help me get
around having to wait for eight hours before ordering aluminum.

Tried that -- and didn't observe any of the stuff you claim to. Try it from a different computer,
and see what happens.

Currently, I'm placing an order with (www.onlinemetals.com). Their
aluminum flat bar is half the price of McMaster.

Yabbut have you seen how much they charge for shipping???

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote in :

I didn't provoke anything.

Obviously you did, if you can think.

And I did provide a description of how
the error might be reproduced, in another post, if you can read.

And it didn't work, as I said in another post, if you can read.
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.UseNet,free.spam

John Doe wrote in :

In fact I did provide a description of how to reproduce the
problem. If you weren't a fan boy knee-jerker, you might have seen
it.

No, you didn't. You provided a vague description of what you *thought* *might* reproduce the
problem.

If you weren't a clueless idiot, you might have realized that.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet

John Doe wrote in :

Try reading the error message, fan boy.

Try writing a clear, cogent, specific description of what you did to cause the message, monkey
boy.
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.UseNet,free.spam

This author is full of ****...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

I provided the error message, fan boy ******...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet

Go **** yourself.

From: Doug Miller doug_at_milmac_dot_com example.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNe t
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 22:19:18 +0000 (UTC)

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote in news:jlfsde$rs9$6 dont-email.me:

Try reading the error message, fan boy.

Try writing a clear, cogent, specific description of what you did to cause the message, monkey
boy.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet

John Doe wrote in :

Go **** yourself.

Continue on in your ignorance, then; it matters not at all to me. It's clear that all you want to do is
complain, not figure out what's causing your problem.

And make no mistake: it is _your_ problem. Not theirs. The fact that nobody else sees the
same things you claim to should tell you something. But it probably won't.

plonk

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 20:49:01 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

George Plimpton george si.not wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
John Doe wrote:

They are ****ing me off. Their website has some idiotic
built-in protection against people who click too fast. I've
never seen that anti-customer programming on any other online
store's website, and I do plenty of online shopping.

Is there an alternative, currently?

Thanks.

I guess you're proof that you can't please everybody.

In my view Mc Master has HUGE selection of quality products at
fair prices

I think most of their prices are high.

with INCREDIBLY great service.

That doesn't seem to be at the root of his complaint; his
complaint seems to be about the manner in which the web site
functions.

Back to the original poster, what does "built-in protection
against people who click too fast" mean?

Their website programming limits browsing. The only other place
I've seen anything similar is on YouTube. On YouTube, if you make
too many comments (something like posting to UseNet) over a period
of time, YouTube will ask you to do the captcha thing. If McMaster
is so uptight about protecting information on their website from
bots that might gather that information, they should implement
something like captcha instead of some one hour or more lockout on
their customers for some undefined/unspecified browsing behavior.

Maybe they should have a clicking speed indicator pop-up window or
something.

I have a feeling that if there are any bots out there that are
trying to penetrate McMaster's website, they probably don't have
much problem doing so. That's why captcha is so difficult to get
through sometimes, because the bots adapt.

I'm not really sure what they are trying to protect. The notice
says "To protect product information, we limit search activities
on our web site."

You might be able to simulate the lockout thing by looking up
"aluminum". Find the page that lists all of the aluminum types,
like 2023, 6061, etc. I wanted to see which type was the most
popular, so I began clicking on them to see how many products were
available, and returning to click on the next. Apparently that
prompted the first lockout. Not sure what caused the eight hour
thing, maybe asking them for advice about where else to shop. But
hey, if they are so helpful, they should be able to help me get
around having to wait for eight hours before ordering aluminum.

Currently, I'm placing an order with (www.onlinemetals.com). Their
aluminum flat bar is half the price of McMaster.

Mind boggling.

You aren't happy about the McMaster-Carr site but rather then picking
up your marbles and walking away you elect to post innumerable times
about how much you dislike the site.

Do you really think that you are going to make a difference? Will
McMaster change their ways? Will their satisfied customers (which
seems to include everyone except for you) run away in droves?

You sir, appear to present an apogee in ineffectiveness.
--
Cheers,

John B.

From: Doug Miller doug_at_milmac_dot_com example.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 21:51:58 +0000 (UTC)

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote in news:jldtc5$10b$1 dont-email.me:

They are ****ing me off. Their website has some idiotic built-in
protection against people who click too fast.

What on earth are you talking about? I've visited their site dozens of times, and never had any
problems with it at all.

Goodness John, all this rhetoric simply to tell the world what an
exceedingly rapid clicker you are?

Is this an exercise in ego building? To demonstrate that you actually
click faster then the average?

What is next? A tryout on the Guinness World Records, in the fast
clicker's section.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry W wrote:
In article ,
John Doe wrote:
They are ****ing me off. Their website has some idiotic built-in
protection against people who click too fast. I've never seen that
anti-customer programming on any other online store's website, and
I do plenty of online shopping.

Is there an alternative, currently?

Thanks.

MSC and Grainger are the usual suspects.

I think it was msc my old boss liked. He said the website was superior for
his ordering.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-03, John Doe wrote:
They are ****ing me off. Their website has some idiotic built-in
protection against people who click too fast. I've never seen that
anti-customer programming on any other online store's website, and
I do plenty of online shopping.

Is there an alternative, currently?

Thanks.

Try MSC and then I will see your reaction.

They jury is still out on MSC for me.

For me, MSC is preferred to McMaster Carr. Both accept phone
orders, and normally get the items to me the next day. But MSC will
happily send me a yearly copy of "The Big Book" -- their boat anchor of
a catalog. McMaster Carr wants you to be somehow cannonized before they
will send you a catalog, and I find fewer things (of what I want) in a
McMaster Carr catalog when I can find one than in the MSC catalog.

I understand that the McMaster Carr web site is better than MSCs
(though MSC's is improving), but I prefer the dead-tree catalog when I'm
really looking for something. Among other things, it will show me
similar objects which might satisfy my needs better on the same or a
nearby page.

Then try Grainger.

Grainger sucks runny effluent thru a straw and spits turds.

They want me to be a business -- though they will sell to me
under the name of my employer before retirement. I think that the
requirement is because of pressure from the various trades in the area.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Of course not, troll. I wasn't clicking very fast.
Apparently it objects to the type of input (what you are doing),
not just the speed.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-04, John Doe wrote:
Of course not, troll. I wasn't clicking very fast.
Apparently it objects to the type of input (what you are doing),
not just the speed.

I buy a lot from McMaster Carr and I clik rather fast. I have never
seen the effect that you are describing.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet

You're lucky, because it's very annoying when it happens.

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Ignoramus30082 ignoramus30082 NOSPAM.30082.invalid
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 22:24:56 -0500

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 06:53:46 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

You're lucky, because it's very annoying when it happens.

Lucky?

Iggie has always impressed folks as a reasonably savvy bloke and as
you can see he has already figured out how to do something that you
have yet to comprehend.

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Ignoramus30082 ignoramus30082 NOSPAM.30082.invalid
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 22:24:56 -0500

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet

John Doe fired this volley in news:jlgr5q$f5f$1
@dont-email.me:

You're lucky, because it's very annoying when it happens.

Are you sure you don't have some "setting" wrong on your system?

I presently use McMaster's site every day. I click as fast as anyone I
know, and I frequently try to click on stuff before it's ready to be
clicked.

I have _never_ seen the problem you cite, in over 15 years of using their
site no less often than twice a week.

McMaster is VERY user-compliant. If they had a (reported) problem of
that severity with their website, they'd fix it, pronto.

Although I like doing business with both McMaster and MSC, it took MSC
over ten years just to acknowlege that their web site was an abortion.
They're still "almost unusable" on-line, but so much better than they
were as to be unrecognizable from the old.

LLoyd
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

For me, MSC is preferred to McMaster Carr. Both accept phone
orders, and normally get the items to me the next day. But MSC will
happily send me a yearly copy of "The Big Book" -- their boat anchor of
a catalog. McMaster Carr wants you to be somehow cannonized before they
will send you a catalog, and I find fewer things (of what I want) in a
McMaster Carr catalog when I can find one than in the MSC catalog.

I understand that the McMaster Carr web site is better than MSCs
(though MSC's is improving), but I prefer the dead-tree catalog when I'm
really looking for something. Among other things, it will show me
similar objects which might satisfy my needs better on the same or a
nearby page.

I agree, and for the same reason. MSC also publishes their catalog on CD.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in
. 3.70:

John Doe fired this volley in news:jlgr5q$f5f$1
@dont-email.me:

You're lucky, because it's very annoying when it happens.

Are you sure you don't have some "setting" wrong on your system?

Of course there's something wrong on his system. But he's not interested in finding out about
that. He didn't come here trying to solve a problem, he came here just to bash McMaster.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet

So you think I forged the error message just to spite McMaster,
you deranged fan boy ****turd?

From: Doug Miller doug_at_milmac_dot_com example.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNe t
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 12:33:03 +0000 (UTC)

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in
news:XnsA02B4AD117C84lloydspmindspringcom 216.168.3.70:

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid fired this volley in news:jlgr5q$f5f$1
dont-email.me:

You're lucky, because it's very annoying when it happens.

Are you sure you don't have some "setting" wrong on your system?

Of course there's something wrong on his system. But he's not interested in finding out about
that. He didn't come here trying to solve a problem, he came here just to bash McMaster.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-04, Doug Miller wrote:

For me, MSC is preferred to McMaster Carr. Both accept phone
orders, and normally get the items to me the next day. But MSC will
happily send me a yearly copy of "The Big Book" -- their boat anchor of
a catalog. McMaster Carr wants you to be somehow cannonized before they
will send you a catalog, and I find fewer things (of what I want) in a
McMaster Carr catalog when I can find one than in the MSC catalog.

I understand that the McMaster Carr web site is better than MSCs
(though MSC's is improving), but I prefer the dead-tree catalog when I'm
really looking for something. Among other things, it will show me
similar objects which might satisfy my needs better on the same or a
nearby page.

I agree, and for the same reason. MSC also publishes their catalog on CD.

I get McMaster catalog every year, nyah, nyah, nyah.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 12:33:03 +0000 (UTC), the renowned Doug Miller
wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in
.3.70:

John Doe fired this volley in news:jlgr5q$f5f$1
@dont-email.me:

You're lucky, because it's very annoying when it happens.

Are you sure you don't have some "setting" wrong on your system?

Of course there's something wrong on his system. But he's not interested in finding out about
that. He didn't come here trying to solve a problem, he came here just to bash McMaster.

Given the anonymity fetish, maybe he's going through an overused proxy
that looks to McM as if there is excessive traffic coming from one
user.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet

If you bothered to read the thread, you would see that I provided
their error message, and a method for reproducing the error.

So by that you should be able to tell that you are wrong, or you
can imagine that I am a liar. But that's less likely than your
mother being a liar, guaranteed.

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNe t
From: "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet

Coincidentally, your mother taught me some things your daddy
never did.

From: Ignoramus30082 ignoramus30082 NOSPAM.30082.invalid
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 22:24:56 -0500

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet

**** you, asshole.

From: Spehro Pefhany speffSNIP interlogDOTyou.knowwhat
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNe t
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 08:48:23 -0400

[...]

speff interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet

Spammers are usually the ones who talk about other people being
anonymous. If you are trying to sell something, you need to act
genuine (even though you might easily be a crook).

I don't use my real name on worldwide public forums, because I'm
not selling anything and because I don't want assholes I've never
met or wouldn't want to meet to call me by my real name. And for
the same reason truck drivers use a handle when talking over a CB
radio.

Spammer.

From: Spehro Pefhany speffSNIP interlogDOTyou.knowwhat
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNe t

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

No matter how fast I tried to click, never had any issues (until at
least I got distracted by some of the strange items they sell......
squirrel....)

John Doe wrote:

That you haven't experienced the same is practically meaningless.
Maybe you click slow as molasses. Anyway... I provided a quote of
the error message. Take a look.

Doug Miller doug_at_milmac_dot_com example.com wrote:

They are ****ing me off. Their website has some idiotic built-in
protection against people who click too fast.

What on earth are you talking about? I've visited their site dozens of times, and never had any
problems with it at all.

jk

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

jk fired this volley in
:

John Doe wrote:

That you haven't experienced the same is practically meaningless.
Maybe you click slow as molasses. Anyway... I provided a quote of
the error message. Take a look.

Doug Miller doug_at_milmac_dot_com example.com wrote:

They are ****ing me off. Their website has some idiotic built-in
protection against people who click too fast.

What on earth are you talking about? I've visited their site dozens
of times, and never had any problems with it at all.

jk

JK, he's a moron and a troll. Consider his ad-hominem attacks on anyone
who suggested it might not be the problem he cites.

McMaster is very, very (even VERY) customer-centric, even if they're a
little more expensive than the other big suppliers. They would _not_
allow a simple problem like that to shy customers away.

But John Doe is in his own little world of believing they're attacking
him personally.

Just watch his responses to this thread.

LLoyd
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet,free.spam

I provided an error message that should make my point perfectly
clear to anyone who has two brain cells to rub together.

If you don't believe it, try asking them.

Otherwise, go **** yourself.

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
From: "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet,free.spam

John Doe fired this volley in news:jli3hq$1vs$1
@dont-email.me:

Otherwise, go **** yourself.

My very point, my mightily disturbed friend; my very point.

Your error message doesn't appear to anyone else. Perhaps you're
DELIBERATELY clicking fifty or sixty times at a lurch, just to prove you
can break things. Or you might have a configuration problem or plug-in
that's interfering. But, of course, you're unwilling to explore those
possibilities, because you're - well - convinced you're perfect, and the
_rest_ of the world is crazy. There's a name for that malady.

You suggested what I would have if I'd been as mentally imbalanced as
you.

But I won't.

Lloyd
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet,free.spam

If I were a troll, I would be in somebody else's thread
doing what you're doing...

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNe t,free.spam
From: "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet,free.spam

John Doe fired this volley in news:jli8nh$4vc$1
@dont-email.me:

If I were a troll, I would be in somebody else's thread
doing what you're doing...

What? Explaining what the problems might be? You certainly haven't done
that yet, NOR reacted to any suggestions... so, I guess by your definition,
you're not a troll.

There are other definitions that explain refusal to accept suggestions and
possible solutions better, but many of them include incarceration in a
mental health institution.

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Han Han is offline

John Doe wrote in news:jldtc5$10b$1@dont-
email.me:

They are ****ing me off. Their website has some idiotic built-in
protection against people who click too fast. I've never seen that
anti-customer programming on any other online store's website, and
I do plenty of online shopping.

Is there an alternative, currently?

Thanks.

Just for the heck, I went to the site, generated a username and password
and ordered an extension cord I need. There were absolutely no problems
doing it, and I like the site. Maybe your or their panties were in a knot
when you tried to access the site, but right now everything went fine.

YMMV!!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 4, 2:22*pm, John Doe wrote:
I provided an error message that should make my point perfectly
clear to anyone who has two brain cells to rub together.

If you don't believe it, try asking them.

Earlier in this thread, John, I believe you wrote about using voice
recognition to control your computer. Is there any chance at all that
there is some mechanism at work with that setup that is generating
extra mouse clicks, keystrokes or other traffic with the McMaster web
server? I can understand why they'd want to protect themselves from
bots ripping their content, but neither I nor anyone else here other
than you (and that is an admittedly small sample, but it's what we
have) has been able to trigger this on their site, so it's likely that
something is, well, different about your system. Since you mentioned
the voice input, that would be the first place I'd look.

Please don't tell me to go **** myself. If I could, I would. In fact,
I'd be doing it so much that I'd be unlikely to have time for usenet.
As I have said before (though I doubt I've said it here), if I was a
woman, I'd probably stand naked in front of a mirror 24/7. So, unless
you can explain to me how, exactly, I would go about ****ing myself,
please don't tell me to do so.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet,free.spam

I'll be sure to tip your mother...

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNe t,free.spam
From: "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet,free.spam

rangerssuck rangerssuck gmail.com wrote:

John Doe j... usenetlove.invalid wrote:

I provided an error message that should make my point perfectly
clear to anyone who has two brain cells to rub together.

If you don't believe it, try asking them.

Earlier in this thread, John, I believe you wrote about using
voice recognition to control your computer. Is there any chance
at all that there is some mechanism at work with that setup that
is generating extra mouse clicks, keystrokes or other traffic
with the McMaster web server?

That was part of my point. I know what's going on under the hood
of my computer. But that's obviously pointless in light of their
message making perfectly clear that the programming weirdness is
on their side. My computer cannot produce such a message on their
webpage, short of some truly miraculous virus. But even if that
were possible, it isn't, I keep viruses off of my system and even
keep track of root kits. I also keep squeaky clean incremental
backup copies of the Windows partition. That is something few
people do but the majority of people would benefit from.

The idea that it's a really big deal to the rest of the world is
coming from some zealous fan boys that might be scared to death of
changing their ways. Must be horrible to hear that your deity has
a flaw. It's annoying to me, but I have lots of time to shop
around. I never said it should be a big deal to anybody else. And
if it's so trivial and scarce, forget about it. Otherwise, I will
continue countering with the facts.

From: rangerssuck rangerssuck gmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 14:00:30 -0700 (PDT)