Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default on the subject of McMaster-Carr...

just placed an order over the internet, after finding that even my
favorite hardware store does not stock metric cap screws in sizes
larger than M12. I bought a new bumper brace for my pickup truck, as
it'd been whacked prior to my purchasing said truck, and was drooping
a little on one side. The Ford dealer said that those bolts were not
in his stock and were "rediculously expensive" so I figured if I was
going to pay a lot for them I'd go ahead and put some stock on my
shelves, I'll just replace them with standard 10.9 cap screws, nuts,
and washers. (I'm one of those people that doesn't like to replace
metric stuff with SAE sizes; I like being able to work on stuff with
only one set of tools.)

I'll report back if I actually have an issue getting these bolts, but
I fully expect them to be sitting on my porch when I get home from
work tomorrow.

I just hope that none of my neighbors get all bent about the truck
being in my driveway with no rear bumper on it (I removed it last
night and discovered that I had to cut a couple bolts off to replace
the brace; thus I have no way of reinstalling it until I get new
hardware) maybe I should remove the license plate and tape it inside
the cap window...

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Actually no, most of them are very cool. Only one that I've ever had
a problem with was the people across the street who took offense to my
truck being parked in front of their house for about an hour one
Saturday afternoon because I was clearing some dirt out of my back
yard and needed to get a friend's truck all the way into my driveway
to load it. Which ****ed me off, because I try not to do stuff like
that while their friends are ALWAYS parking in front of my house when
they come to visit, which I can't get too bent about because it's not
like I own the street, but they also park exactly in the center of the
space between my driveway and my neighbor's meaning that I can't park
another car either in front of or behind them...

It doesn't help that the guy doesn't appear to speak English, nor has
he ever tried to communicate in Spanish either. He seriously
communicates by grunting and pointing.

nate

On Jun 3, 11:16*am, "EXT" wrote:
Snooty neighbors?

I just hope that none of my neighbors get all bent about the truck
being in my driveway with no rear bumper on it (I removed it last
night and discovered that I had to cut a couple bolts off to replace
the brace; thus I have no way of reinstalling it until I get new
hardware) maybe I should remove the license plate and tape it inside
the cap window...

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote:
[...]

Agh, I forgot about the UPS factor. Not McMaster-Carr's fault, save for
using a ****ty shipping company. Actually as usual McM-C shipped the
stuff immediately and it actually made to my local depot in time for
delivery today, but when I track the shipment I get a "Delivery
Exception" saying that I wasn't present at 7:30 PM to sign for the
package... well, I WAS home, and I'm ASSuming that due to traffic and
weather the driver never made it to my neighborhood. (I could accept
that, because it did take me over two hours to get home from work, and
all the traffic lights between Tyson's Corner and Merrifield were NFG...
what a show...) But don't lie to me on your web site, UPS, just tell me
the truth.

I know McM-C didn't send this package signature required as this one was
worth only about $30 and they've sent far higher value orders without
requiring a signature before.

*sigh*

I'm really trying not to start on another UPS rant. It appears that
when doing business with vendors that ship via UPS I'm going to have to
start having the stuff delivered to my office because their residential
delivery service is simply abysmal.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Default UPS

Nate Nagel wrote:

N8N wrote:

[...]

My normal residential UPS driver doesn't pull that s**t. She's
very good and reliable even though I am somewhat remote.
Where I am, UPS is the most reliable delivery service.
DHL, on the other hand, is really terrible. Their drivers make
excuses for 3 days in a row without attempting a delivery and
then the package will just sit at DHLs warehouse for weeks
without notifying anyone. Or else the driver will claim to have
delivered it when it is still on the truck and delivers it 2 days
later.
UPS Freight (formerly known as Overnite Trucking) is also really bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmmm. I find UPS service to be absolutely excellent.

Wonder if it the customer who has a problem and not ups?

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 05:36:54 GMT, M Q
wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

N8N wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

No.

I have absolutely no problems with either FedEx or USPS save when the
sender sends something "signature required." That's hardly the
carrier's fault, either.

I knew I was in trouble when shortly after I moved I ordered some car
parts and came home one evening to find some college kid's duffel bag
and steamer trunk on my porch. The name, street name, street number,
etc. all bore no relation to my name or address, but apparently the
driver just started dropping off stuff willy-nilly. When I called the
UPS office they wanted me to leave the stuff on my porch so their
driver could pick it up "sometime the next day."

nate

wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

N8N wrote:

[...]

UPS Freight (formerly known as Overnite Trucking) is also really bad.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

M Q wrote:

snip

My normal residential UPS driver doesn't pull that s**t. She's
very good and reliable even though I am somewhat remote.

I've gotten the "exception" on the UPS web site when I've been home (not
that it matters with McMaster since they don't require a signature).
They claim no one was home, but in reality they never tried to deliver it.

Residential delivery is the last thing they do each day in my area,
after all the businesses have had their morning delivery and their
afternoon pick-up. They often come at around 7:00 p.m.. If they can't
finish by 7:00 p.m. then they give up and try again the next day.

One thing to be sure to do is if you pay for second day and it doesn't
arrive in two days then contact the shipper for a shipping credit.
Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

SMS wrote:

M Q wrote:

snip

My normal residential UPS driver doesn't pull that s**t. She's
very good and reliable even though I am somewhat remote.

I've gotten the "exception" on the UPS web site when I've been home (not
that it matters with McMaster since they don't require a signature).
They claim no one was home, but in reality they never tried to deliver it.

Residential delivery is the last thing they do each day in my area,
after all the businesses have had their morning delivery and their
afternoon pick-up. They often come at around 7:00 p.m.. If they can't
finish by 7:00 p.m. then they give up and try again the next day.

One thing to be sure to do is if you pay for second day and it doesn't
arrive in two days then contact the shipper for a shipping credit.

Actually, if you look at UPS's tarif/terms of service
http://www.ups.com/media/en/terms_service_12312007.pdf
section V.P. on page 34, their service guarantee applies to ground
residential or commercial addresses, but not to 2nd day residential
addresses.
If UPS screws up, the credit is to the shipper, if the shipper
files a claim for it, not to the recipient.
I am not sure that many shippers actually bother.

Guv Bob and McMaster-Carr The Davenport's Metalworking 6 June 2nd 08 11:30 AM
The new mcmaster carr catalog is here..... yourname Metalworking 4 February 1st 06 10:05 PM
#98 McMaster Carr Catalog Bob Chilcoat Metalworking 4 February 23rd 05 12:14 AM
mcmaster carr 111 williamhenry Metalworking 0 February 1st 05 11:31 PM
FA: McMaster-Carr Catalog Scott S. Logan Metalworking 0 January 25th 05 01:45 PM